1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
You're the 2nd one to comment about the leaded gas causing sludge, so there must be something to it. I always heard it was Quaker State or Pennzoil motor oil. Learned something new today! :)

Actually, it was not leaded gas. People say that because it kinda all fell together "about" the same time as lead's exit. Here is what happened.....and the only reason I know is because I was in retail auto parts sales in the late 70s and very early 80s as a kid and got in on some really good oil seminars.

"About" 1977 "or so" several million barrels of a few Penn brand oils got a bacteria set up in them that the refining process normally removes. This bacteria causes sludging of the engine oil. I just so "happened" that Quaker State Oil was the main oil brand that got "most" of that bacteria. It like to have killed that brand. There is nothing nor was there ever anything wrong with the Quaker State brand. It was refining process that failed them. To this day, lots of people remember Quaker State for that problem, even though the brand had nothing to do with it.

Ok, enough about the oil. Let's get this back on topic. Here is what Kitty and I are going to cover the kick panels, door panels, rear side panels and Kitty is going to make a custom dash cover to cover the top of the dash as well. I found this commercial grade felt backed red and black rattlesnake vinyl. I think it is super cool.

RATTLESNAKE FABRIC.jpg

Ok, enough about the oil. Let's get this back on topic. Here is what Kitty and I are going to cover the kick panels, door panels, rear side panels and Kitty is going to make a custom dash cover to cover the top of the dash as well. I found this commercial grade felt backed red and black rattlesnake vinyl. I think it is super cool.

View attachment 1715597066
That's totally cool! But again know your audience LOL I have alligator skin seats Beaver skinhead liner and an ostrich skin rear deck LOL..
Word of caution about the dash... the recommend taking a big chunk of whatever you feel you're going to put on the dash and just laying it up there on the dash and pulling the car out into the sun... When I was a kid and I lived in Florida I thought it would be really cool to cover my dash in my 82 trans am with some black and white camo material I found... Man I thought it looked cool as heck! I pulled out onto the road in the sun and could not see a thing out of the windshield lol... That day I learned why they put flat colors on dashboards...

That's totally cool! But again know your audience LOL I have alligator skin seats Beaver skinhead liner and an ostrich skin rear deck LOL..
Word of caution about the dash... the recommend taking a big chunk of whatever you feel you're going to put on the dash and just laying it up there on the dash and pulling the car out into the sun... When I was a kid and I lived in Florida I thought it would be really cool to cover my dash in my 82 trans am with some black and white camo material I found... Man I thought it looked cool as heck! I pulled out onto the road in the sun and could not see a thing out of the windshield lol... That day I learned why they put flat colors on dashboards...

Yes I told Kitty the same thing. We plan on putting a small piece up there and see how bad it reflects. It'll probably be too much, because it is shiny.

Yes I told Kitty the same thing. We plan on putting a small piece up there and see how bad it reflects. It'll probably be too much, because it is shiny.
nothing like pulling out onto the highway and seeing nothing but black and white camo in your windshield! I mean I honestly seriously had to stick my head out the window to get back home!!!

nothing like pulling out onto the highway and seeing nothing but black and white camo in your windshield! I mean I honestly seriously had to stick my head out the window to get back home!!!

lol I had to do that once when I was deathly sick. In a 69 Chevelle 4 speed car. In the POURING rain. PUKING my guts up out the window rowing gears. It wasn't pretty.

As Buck Owens sang it's "Together Again". Still haven't put the oil pump on it yet, because I haven't picked up the gasket. Gonna do that in just a little while and then come home and whoop the oil pump on it. Should be back runnin and drivin next week.

TOGETHER AGAIN.jpg

TOGETHER AGAIN1.jpg

Last edited:
Got the new oil pump on. So I'll be waitin on some new shift lever bushings. The old ones were so soft and mushy. I had to get some new ones.

So I'll be waitin on some new shift lever bushings. The old ones were so soft and mushy. I had to get some new ones.

RRR,
If I recall right, you are keeping the 3-on-the-tree and swapping the A903 for an A230, correct?

I WAS just going to put it back in all grungy and dirty, but my "professionalism" I guess you could call it got the best of me. lol I've been soaking it in Formula21 for the past three nights and pressure washed it today. That's all I WAS gonna do, but it came so clean I just had to put some paint on it. The only thing I had enough of was black, so that's what it got. lol

CLEAN SLANT.jpg
CLEAN SLANT1.jpg

RRR,
If I recall right, you are keeping the 3-on-the-tree and swapping the A903 for an A230, correct?

Yes, that's right. At least that's the plan. Only unless I have to, will I convert to a floor shift. I don't foresee that happening.

VooDoo Valiant.

...it's made outa rattle snake hide...

Who do you love?

LOL....now all ya gotta do is turn your hat backwards, sag your shorts, and tell the ricer boys it's a Type R Valiant. :p :D

Now that's funny right there. I think I like VooDoo Valiant better. LOL And the rattlesnake hide.

I finally found someone who could get a Windshield for Vixen. Glass Wholesalers of Macon. 130 bucks. Kitty and I had it swapped out in 15 minutes.

VIXEN'S WINDSHIELD.jpg

Looks good Rob. What'd you use for a gasket?

The one that was already in it. It and the lock strip were both only a few months old. I got the gasket off eBay for 49 bucks. It is a Goodmark and I got the lock strip from Steele Rubber. It was 25. They were the only place I could find the black lock strip.

Here's Vixen's heart ready for drop in. Should have it at least set in tomorrow. Kitty has a doctor's appointment, so that will take some of the day. But tomorrow night we should have time to set it in.

DROP IN READY.jpg

Do any of yall know if this had a transmission to engine bracket on the passenger's side like the one above on the driver's side? I saw nowhere for it to bolt to the block and it did not have one on that side. I am assuming it only had one.

Do any of yall know if this had a transmission to engine bracket on the passenger's side like the one above on the driver's side? I saw nowhere for it to bolt to the block and it did not have one on that side. I am assuming it only had one.
Every slant that I have seen has the bracket on the driver side only. The brackets are unique for an A833 and a 904, so I would expect the small 3 speed transmission bracket to also be specific.

-
Back