1964 Valiant "Get Runnin & Drivin"

-
Just remember if you put an over sized clutch on a standard flywheel to try to find the Borg and Beck BRAND pressure plate. There are plenty of Borg and Beck STYLE pressure plates, but there's also the brand itself. They're much better quality and fit. They always have been for me.

Here's my dash illumination project pretty much finished. The dimmer switch works good. Even as bright as the lights get, it's nothing like the picture suggests. I don't know why they look so bright in the picture. That's not how they look at all. It's not overwhelming at all and fits in pretty good with the rest of the lights. I may just eliminate the switch altogether and run power straight to the headlight supply blade on the headlight switch.
DASH LIGHTS.jpg

Here's my dash illumination project pretty much finished. The dimmer switch works good. Even as bright as the lights get, it's nothing like the picture suggests. I don't know why they look so bright in the picture. That's not how they look at all. It's not overwhelming at all and fits in pretty good with the rest of the lights. I may just eliminate the switch altogether and run power straight to the headlight supply blade on the headlight switch.
View attachment 1715986044

Where did you tie the new lights in Rob?

Where did you tie the new lights in Rob?
The wrong spot. LOL "B1" on the headlight switch which is hot all the time. I want it hot when the headlights are on. I'll move it later on. I'm kinda beat right now. I ASSUME I need to move it to the "H" blade. That's the headlight feed. Leave it to me to screw up somethin so self explanatory. I've told yall over and over I learn things by screwin up. At least there wasn't fire involved. lol

That pic you posted it looks like fuzzy hair material on the dash!

I got the power wire swapped to the "H" terminal on the headlight switch and now it switches on and off with the headlights. Oh happy day. lol

Vixen got tired of her water pump, I guess. It puked the seal. Chewed it all up and blew it through the cooling system. Got pieces hung up in the radiator flues. So I got Oreilly to warrant it out and took the radiator into the shop in Macon and they flushed it out good. I went ahead and added some Water Wetter because of all its supposed good water pump lube and seal conditioner qualities. Painted the radiator all back up and touched the engine back up a little. She's back in bidness.
NEW WATER PUMP.jpg

NEW WATER PUMP1 (1).jpg

wow! you still have a radiator shop?
LOL No, I never had one. Took it to Ben's in Macon. But yeah, they're few and far between. Ben's was in bidness since the late 30s in Macon. Real old school brass/copper radiator shop. Then, they closed a couple years ago. Now, one of their former employees has reopened it in a different location. So for now, we have a good radiator shop again. We have another one in west Macon. Smith's Radiator repair. But when I asked them if they could handle copper/brass radiators he laughed and said hell no. I told him "oh so you're a radiator replacement shop, not a radiator repair shop so you might wanna change your sign". He didn't like that. lol

An old school radiator shop is getting hard to find, for sure. I found one an hour away from me that has a stellar reputation, and he is currently recoring a radiator for my 70 Challenger 340. He's so far back in the sticks that the EPA hasn't found him yet....lol. If it wasn't a numbers matching car that I need to do back original, I'd have bought a new aluminum radiator a lot cheaper.

An old school radiator shop is getting hard to find, for sure. I found one an hour away from me that has a stellar reputation, and he is currently recoring a radiator for my 70 Challenger 340. He's so far back in the sticks that the EPA hasn't found him yet....lol. If it wasn't a numbers matching car that I need to do back original, I'd have bought a new aluminum radiator a lot cheaper.
Makes me wanna get the torch out and take an old one apart and learn it myself. I have an old one, too.

There's actually a radiator shop about 10 min from my place.

They also turn brake drums.

Just to add to the water pump story......I purchased the original one when I first put the 225 in Vixen meh.....approaching or maybe even a little over two years ago. This was a NEW water pump. That one gave it up in November 2021. I warranted it out then for the one I just replaced. The replacement didn't make it a year. They've changed their "lifetime warranty" policy to be interpreted as ONE replacement for the lifetime that you own it. In other words, they warranty the original and when the warranty one fails, you pay for the next one. But since it was not even a year old on number 2, they ate it anyway. It's pretty pitiful the state of auto parts these days. I plan on getting a FlowKooler next month. We'll see how long it lasts after the present one gives it up. I'm still going to explore rebuilding them myself.

That's not a lifetime warranty, then is it?

That's a "one time, free replacement" warranty.

I miss my little private auto parts co. back in Mo> He said IF yours goes bad, EVER, just back it back for a new one...Free of charge. Water pump, alternator etc.

We are forced to buy junk and we have no control. Life ain't probably gonna get any better, shape, manner, or form. Just wait and see.

I miss my little private auto parts co. back in Mo> He said IF yours goes bad, EVER, just back it back for a new one...Free of charge. Water pump, alternator etc.

We are forced to buy junk and we have no control. Life ain't probably gonna get any better, shape, manner, or form. Just wait and see.
That's just refreshing. lol

Lawn tractor bought NEW (their biggest and best one) at Texas Tractor Supply has lasted me 4 -5 months.
That blows. I still have my Troy Bilt I got from Lowes back in 2008. Still runs like a new one. I have a friend that's still the lawn and garden manager out there today and he recommended the model with the Kohler engine and it's been rock solid.

I had a counter person try to tell me once that "lifetime" meant the life of the part, and didn't want to replace the part.

Uh, NO.

WTF would that even mean? Basically nothing.

I had the same problems just paid more and got a flow cooler rebuilt slant six pump move coolant really good better propeller pricey though 1963-1987 Slant 6 hi flow water pump for the 170 198 225 cid blocks
Just to add to the water pump story......I purchased the original one when I first put the 225 in Vixen meh.....approaching or maybe even a little over two years ago. This was a NEW water pump. That one gave it up in November 2021. I warranted it out then for the one I just replaced. The replacement didn't make it a year. They've changed their "lifetime warranty" policy to be interpreted as ONE replacement for the lifetime that you own it. In other words, they warranty the original and when the warranty one fails, you pay for the next one. But since it was not even a year old on number 2, they ate it anyway. It's pretty pitiful the state of auto parts these days. I plan on getting a FlowKooler next month. We'll see how long it lasts after the present one gives it up. I'm still going to explore rebuilding them myself.

0CB371D6-308A-4AD9-9B14-5FAA056EA803.jpeg

-
Back