1964 Valiant Signet 200 Hardtop

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
Finally got my valiant in my garage. Problem is I am almost 400 miles away for work so no wrench turning for now. No plans just yet for her so in the mean time just do the essentials to make her a good driver.

Thanks to Rob and Mark.. you guys are badass...

Now, a couple of obligatory Pics. When I get home... more to come as things progress.

004-3.jpg
003206.jpg

Hemi Gherardini

It is. A vintage CB radio. I am going to remove it, clean it up a touch and see if it works.

It is a Johnson Messenger III
a pic of one i found online
Johnson.jpg

Could be worth something to someone. Who knows. The car also has a tow hitch, rear mounted whip CB antennae and oddly enough 4 rear bumperettes instead of 2... bizarre.

LMAO, the guy that put on 4 bumperettes must be the same guy that mounted dual washer tanks. We have all met "that guy" over the years. :D

Only 2 up front.. "that guy" isnt very consistent. He also put realistic brand 1970's speaker boxes into the read panels and front kicks with screws and jacked them all up. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the UNKNOWN GAUGE OF DOOM! Just below the ashtray. The lense is SO yellow i cant make anything out on it. When i get home I will pull it and see if I can figure out what that thing was.

Car does have a build shee in the seat thats 90% there but its not for my car... LAME

Since I cant work on the car for now as I am away on business... I brought the car with me... well... parts of it anyway. Gave myself a little something to do while I was sitting on the couch watching hockey after work.

b42.jpg

after.jpg

Still have to hit the "false grille' sections and trim areas with the dark color but not too shabby eh?

Can anyone decode the engine casting numbers for me or direct me to a web site with this information

enginecastingnumbers.jpg

Thanks

awesome... thanks

So casting numbers 2463430 (60 – 67 forged crank "early" with 3 freeze plugs & red paint) which is the high deck cast iron block used with the forged crank (RGFC).

I assume this means it is a 225??? or is this a 198?

also what are the other set of numbers?

nice job on the headlight bezels....what secret sauce /technic ( other than a jar of elbow grease) did you use to accomplish that?

feel for the 400mile distance....definately adds a degree of difficulty....how do you think ol' Swisswill feels?...not just another zip code...but a whole friggin' ocean away

I assume you mean the grille sections. I dont have any bezels yet.

Elbow grease, steel wool, some mothers metal mag and aluminum polish and paint. they turned out nicer than i thought they would.

as for the distance goes... thankfully its only 1 more week then HOME

So, the more I dig in this car the more I realize that every part of this car needs attention. But Thats OK. time is not an issue. I pulled the seats and carpet as it was destroyed and i really needed to see those floors. Yup. Rusty. Pinhole rust.

Also cleaning up the underhood. tinkering and this and that... removed the dead AC system. keep in mind this is my first slanty... so I am checking fluids and for the life of me couldnt find the dipstick. Instead of asking a STUPID question... "wheres the dipstick" i scoured the engine to no avail. Jumped onlie and finally found a clear pic of one. Go to my car and look right there behind the drivers side mount... no dipostick..... small hole for one. :adding to my extensive parts needed list:

This weekends project is to rebuild one of the 2 carbs that was in the car, check out the ignition system and replace the fuel supply line and tranny cooler line; both of which were smashed flat in places. That being said I am afraid to see what demons may be in the transmission, although that is down the road a ways.

Still, I am doing a lot more exploratory work than actual repair at this point. Knocking out one basic thing at a time as time permits and this dead car may one day be a zombie.

Good Luck, I found the bill of sale so e-mail me and I will send you the copy. Hang in there for the bumps ahead.

Was the Barracuda grille already installed?...or are you doing the swap?

I wonder if the extra washer reservoir was used for some type of water injection system....

thanks 65cuda273.... you have a PM with my email.

Gary. I am swapping it. So if you know of anyone that wants a very straight clean 64 valiant grille... i have one i wont need

So I had a little time to look into the engine. Pulled the valve covers to see what demons were inside. this is what i found.

6.jpg

Cyl 6 looks pretty clean.

34.jpg

3 & 4 less so, but I have seen WAY WAY WAY worse. I feel pretty good about the engine.
Compression tested it and all 6 were PERFECT. WHAT????

did you find a home for that vintage CB yet?....would you sell it?

-
Back