1965 273 4 groove crank pulley questions

-

macdrew77

Reaction score
I need a 4 groove crank pulley to reinstall the PS and AC on my 1965 Dart. I've been searching for this elusive pulley for many months now, does anyone know if this is unique to 1965? I have seen many photos of setups with only 3 grooves. This is what it should look like:

crank pulley.jpg

20190126_173728.jpg

20190202_141017.jpg

So this is the elusive 2 belt AC. Ulf in Scandinavia has 2 early A bodies (from Facebook pages) that have this 2 belt AC system. I have 2 pre 70 small block AC cars that use a single belt (3 pulley) AC system. We have yet to understand what is what in the 2 vs 1 Belt AC. I have personally only seen 1 belt.

So why do you only have a one belt idler pulley? It would be so awesome if we could figure this all out.

Those pictures are not my car, but the idler is for the crankshaft to water pump belt tension. The alternator is what is used to tension the AC belts.

Those pictures are not my car, but the idler is for the crankshaft to water pump belt tension. The alternator is what is used to tension the AC belts.

Ok that is a fundamental difference in the 2 vs 1 belt AC then. The one has a fixed idler (appears to be optional as well) and an adjuster idler for the AC. The 2 belt seems to be a predecessor to the 70 and up where the alternator adjusts the belts for the AC. Man I wish I could figure out what the 2 belt was found on in the early days.

Last edited:
This is a 65 273 A Body only deal probably according to my buddy. He thinks he may have a 4 pulley. He is looking.

I have a 4 pulley laying around. @macdrew77, I’ll send you a PM to discuss further.

Real question… but I haven’t done any research elsewhere.. 4 pulley is for AC AND PS right, are there any setups if you wanted to go AC with manual steering?

I have a 4 pulley laying around. @macdrew77, I’ll send you a PM to discuss further.

Real question… but I haven’t done any research elsewhere.. 4 pulley is for AC AND PS right, are there any setups if you wanted to go AC with manual steering?

I think the PS was there by default. There are 2 different 3 pulleys but they have a different diameter PS center pulley (single belt AC)

I have a 4-grroove mystery pulley that came to me in a parts lot buy. I'll post info on it when I get back from a short trip out of town.

Thanks that would be much appreciated.

So this is the elusive 2 belt AC. Ulf in Scandinavia has 2 early A bodies (from Facebook pages) that have this 2 belt AC system. I have 2 pre 70 small block AC cars that use a single belt (3 pulley) AC system. We have yet to understand what is what in the 2 vs 1 Belt AC. I have personally only seen 1 belt.

So why do you only have a one belt idler pulley? It would be so awesome if we could figure this all out.
Jim! It's actually 3 cars! I'm tearing apart the Dart Charger number 3 and it has a/c. I can take some more pictures if that would be of interest.

20230318_204440.jpg

20220418_220517.jpg

I can't be much help. My 66 doesn't have A/C. I do have some 273 engine photos saved but my laptop is 225 miles away. I will poke around and see what I can find in a day or two.

I used to have two '66's and one '65 with A/C and P/S. They all used the 3 groove crank pulley that was built like a balancer....with the rubber isolated outer pully. The 318's in other models that year used the same pulley. The A/C just had one belt and an idler/adjuster.

-
Back