1965 /6, or is it?!

-

J Glenn

Reaction score
I have a 1965 Valiant w/ 225 /6. For compatibility reasons I want to figure out if it's REALLY a 1965. (Someone dropped in a performance cam, but for all I know the whole motor has been replaced.) Is there a year code on the casting? And how would one decode that?

There is a number stamped into the block. It is on a pad on the front passenger side of the block where the head and block meet. It is likely behind the alternator bracket, or underneath it. The numbers on the pad will need to be decoded.

There is a number stamped into the block. It is on a pad on the front passenger side of the block where the head and block meet. It is likely behind the alternator bracket, or underneath it. The numbers on the pad will need to be decoded.
Any idea how do I decode it?

If it has 5 core plugs in a row, it is most certainly later than 1965 since those have 3 staggered core plugs. A photo would be much faster than "20 questions".

C for 67 (A-65,B-66,C-67,...) and its a 225. Lets see yours!
20180528_150729.jpg

B could still be for the 65 model year if it was a late 65 car.

Block is junk but I'm still curious about this stamp.. 3 freeze plugs, block castings 2463430-6, 32664 (date?) and there's also an upsidedown 170 cast into the block

Just trying understand it

enginestamp.jpg

That's what I thought until I saw the stamping.. I assumed that it would start with an A followed with a 225. So it kinda lost me

-
Back