1965-66 Reverse (Back-Up) Light Switch Help

-

beat2Hell

Reaction score
I have a '65 Valiant 200 four-dour, with the 225 Slant and 904 Automatic. I'm trying to figure out where to find a back up light switch for it. The one in it is definitely broken. I'm assuming its used only the 65-66 automatics with the cable operated column shift. It mounts at the base of the column and has a lever on the back that I think gets hit by a cam or something when you shift into reverse. There's nothing I can see on my column that would hit this lever, but my column has been removed in the past by a previous owner to replace the steering box, and i don't know if its been messed with. does anyone know what i'm talking about? any of you 65-66 owners?

I dont know any thing about this switch,,but i do know it would be up untill 1965 1966 uses the switch in the trans as far as i know,,

Yes, I know what your meaning. I have an NOS one for sale if you need it. PM me in interested.

I dont know any thing about this switch,,but i do know it would be up untill 1965 1966 uses the switch in the trans as far as i know,,
The backup light switch was mounted on the column for automatic column shift cars until the end of '68 when they went to the 3 wire neutral safety switch. The floor shift cars had them mounted under the console on the shifter. The column switch for the '67-8 cars is different than the '65 or '66 models. '65 is different from '66 also.

Okay. Man, I never knew it was on the column up until '68. Thanks everybody. My other question is, how does it work? Is there something that comes up from the column and hits the switch?

Yes, there is a spring steel finger that clips into the inner shift tube that the handle moves. It pokes through a hole in the outer column and triggers the switch mounted on the upper side. It's fairly common for those fingers to break.....especially if the switch hasn't been lubed in a while.

I converted my 1976 Duster from a column shift to a floor shift. Do I need to add a back up light switch at the shifter or is it all in the neutral safety switch on the transmission? I have yet to put it all together and would like to know before I do the interior. Thanks for any help..:prayer:

As long as you use a '69 or newer transmission, you can use the 3 wire neutral/BU switch on the transmission. The outer two pins are for the backup lights.

You have a shop manual?

The 66 manual:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

link:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1966_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

This manual does not follow Chrysler "dash" page numbering, so you'll have to "play" with the numbers. In my browser, the column stuff is page 600 or so

But in the '67 book, they are talking about "bending the operating lever" to remove from the shaft, and "the lever cannot be removed." I appears to me that the 66/ earlier switch lever is BOLTED to the shaft, and that the 67/ later one is crimped? etc into the shaft.

The info in the '66 manual is VERY sketchy as they have the fury and Valiant models intertwined in the drawings and descriptions

-
Back