1965 904 Throttle Shaft Seal Replacement

-

PocketAces

Reaction score
Can the throttle shaft seal on cable shifted 904 transmission be replaced in the car without dropping the pan? I can siphon the fluid out through the dip stick tube. But can I get the old seal out and the new seal in from the top without removing the shaft? Also, is there any risk the shaft might fall down into the transmission after I remove the lever?

I've had this pan off so many times trying to get rid of all the leaks that I'm sick of it.

I got the seal at Napa, part number ATP 13308 for $1.40. It appears to be the same seal for early cable shifted transmissions like mine as well as later ones shifted via rods. Does that sound right?

Yes, same seal. I've never trid to do it without dropping the pan. I drop the pan, drop the valve body, and tap it out. They are not harder to seal than anything else. Totally flat flange on the pan, totally oil and grease free (including your skin's oils), no rtv, and torque the pan bolts evenly and not too much. Not leaks. No seaps.

I think I have the pan gasket licked. It's all the other orifices that I'm working on now. I replaced the dip stick tube o-ring and that helped. I also put a new output shaft seal in it.

Now it's either the throttle shaft or the shift cable (or both). I replaced the shift cable o-ring a while back, but I used a metric o-ring that wasn't thick enough. I may just swap the shift cable o-ring first and see if that dries it up before I mess with the throttle shaft seal. I know I can do the shift cable o-ring without dropping the pan. If I was sure I could do the throttle shaft seal with the pan on then I would just do it at the same time.

I only changed the o-ring on the shift cable and it seems to have done the trick. The throttle shaft seal can wait until I pull it out of the car for the restoration.

The o-ring I used for the shift cable was 11/16" OD, 1/2" ID, 3/32" cross section.
The o-ring I used for the dip stick tube was 3/4" OD, 9/16" ID, 3/32" cross section.

Can the throttle shaft seal on cable shifted 904 transmission be replaced in the car without dropping the pan? I can siphon the fluid out through the dip stick tube. But can I get the old seal out and the new seal in from the top without removing the shaft? Also, is there any risk the shaft might fall down into the transmission after I remove the lever?

I've had this pan off so many times trying to get rid of all the leaks that I'm sick of it.

I got the seal at Napa, part number ATP 13308 for $1.40. It appears to be the same seal for early cable shifted transmissions like mine as well as later ones shifted via rods. Does that sound right?
It's possible but on an early A it a real *****. Much easier to pull the pan.

it takes longer to jack up the car than to change the seal with the rite home made tool. grind a shallow curved hook on a flat blade screw driver. pop the seal out, large c-clamp, block of wood against the pan, 15/16 socket over seal, squeeze seal into place and re-install linkage. made some good money this way when working at dealership.

-
Back