1965 Barracuda: What's It Worth?

-

dynodonn

Reaction score
Thinking of selling my 1965 Barracuda. It has 54k miles on the odometer, said to be original. Car was sold to me as an un-restored Formula S with one repaint about 20 years ago. The only mods are BBP American racing wheels and an 8-3/4 Suregrip rear. The engine runs strong and appears to be mostly original. I found the build sheet (actually two different build sheets) under the rear seat, but it's almost unreadable. The early Cuda's don't seem to have much value to collectors, all I can say is I never see another one even at the all-Mopar shows I go to. Any opinions are welcome.

Let's see some pics!

I can tell you that I got 5 figures for my 1966 Barracuda recently, but it took a while to find the right buyer even though my car had a ton of mechanical upgrades done to it. It is very hard to get decent money for these cars. I held out for my number and finally got it, plus I feel it went to a good home.

I think you have to find the right person looking for a 1st generation Barracuda. I'm one of those guys that love the look...and my dad had one when I was just a little guy! I would have gladly bought lilcuda's 1966 Barracuda for $10K if I didn't already have one...especially with the front end work and engine work he did. From the outside pictures, your 65 looks clean enough. I think you should be somewhere close the to $10K mark if you find the right buyer. And you are right, you just don't see too many of 1st generation cudas around. I don't understand why they are not more "collectable", people comment on my car every single time I take it out.

sometimes to get a true perspective on the current market on our cherished A bodies, perhaps it helps to see what let say, the 383 roadrunner, superbee cars, are bringing right now, and maybe it helps judge the value of say really nice 273 65 cuda???? talking to the real world guys at FBBO that know what their cars are actually bring right now????
lets face it, in general , same quality cars, a 383 70 cuda brings more than a 383 69 runner, and likewise, those bring more than a say formula s 65 cuda.
perhaps our A bodies are undervalued right now, maybe next year all these old cars will be worth more ( or maybe less)? who knows! LOL

very nice looking car 8-10K I'd say. BUT; you may have to wait since not may chase early A's - unfortunately.

I guess the upswing is right now, if a person wants to buy a "done" car, a nice car like this is a bargain. look at what people pay a body shop, the time they spend wainting it to be done there, not to mention the costs of all the mechanical work needed.. granted not every car for sale has had the engine, tranny, rearend, interior, front end, brakes, exhaust, tires, wiring etc etc etc all rebuilt or repop parts bought for it!!!!!
then again, lots of people don't have an extra 10 grand sitting in the bank, can't borrow that much, or make the payments, afford to insure that purchase price.... if they do, most time they are in market for a more "mainstream" model!????
lots of take the " less" route, build our own, due to necessity!!?????
I personally dislike using fleebay as a "market" barometer. being able to contact people in the hobby that sold a given car and give truthful info, to be is more meaningful. on the other extreme, is the idiot stuiff at BJ!!?? LOL
like he said, if ya have a nice car like this, forst ya got to find a guy that wants that model, and then can afford a nice car, and doesn't want to do the " I restored this sucker!! thing!!?????

Recent sold listings indicate what is realistic. You can look at cars listed at unrealistic prices all you want, but those cars generally go unsold for a very long time or until the price becomes more reasonable.

A car very similar to yours sold at $7,500 in Sept. on fleabay. Here is the listing;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Ba...ce78bbd3e&item=261582732606&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I saw this car. The quarters by the rear wheel-wells are full of mud, the trunk is falling out, and it's not nearly as nice as mine.

Thanks, fellow FABO members. I guess I'll keep it, I have more than $10k in the car. I know the old story about never getting your money back out of a car, but the fact that it is so unique makes it worth keeping.

Looks real Nice... Was the rear valance replaced? Can you send me a picture of the fender tag?

I know what you mean about being "ALONE" at car shows... But peeps generally love looking at it... Do they not?

Enjoy your ride!!!!

Looks real Nice... Was the rear valance replaced? Can you send me a picture of the fender tag?

I won't post a picture, but here you go:

Row 1: 1=1 Left Manual O/S Mirror
7=2 Sold Car

Row 2: AB=31 Commando 273 CI, 4 Bbl, 235 HP
C=2 Formula “S”
D=5 Torqueflite Automatic
E=5 Heater w/Defroster
Q=1 Transaudio AM Radio w/Antenna
V=3 Back Up Lights
X=8 Front/Rear Seat Belts
Z=2 Front Bucket Seats w/Console

Row 3: SO=426 Build Date April 26
NUMBER=00079 Factory Invoice Number
BDY=V89 V=Valiant, 8=Cuda & Taxi, 9=Barracuda
TRM=P4X Front Bucket Seats, Vinyl, Black
PAINT=PP4 P P=Roof Red, P=Body Red,
4=Painted Rallye Stripe, P=Door Frame Red

Looks real Nice... Was the rear valance replaced?

Not sure, but since some parts of the rear window seem to be from a blue car it may well have been replaced at some point during the past 50 years. It does look better to have no cut-ouit in the valence with a dual exhaust; it's more symetrica.l

Put it on Ebay and find out what it's worth. That's the only way.

Beautiful car... Solid cars do better in the northeast, because our original cars are rotted. Metal work is expensive and if not done rite they just bleed through every few yrs. If it were mine I would not sell it for any less than $10K. A white one up here for sale rite now for $12,500, but its not selling. Personally the red looks much better. Kinda like my 71 Duster, I have more in it than its worth so ill just drive and enjoy it as apposed to losing $. Why buy someone else rot box. I know my Duster since the 80s

My '64 was destroyed in a garage fire three and a half years ago (in the avatar on the left). It had a freshly a machined 273 2bbl auto and a fresh paint job with PPG paint. Interior was shot, needed work there. I insured it for $15000, received a little over $12000 plus sales tax from the insurance company, a fair settlement I thought. They based it on comps and the fact I was able to present invoices and in-progress images. For what its worth......

Put it on Ebay and find out what it's worth. That's the only way.

Yep, let the market decide what it's worth.

6-8K They just don't bring the money.

It's a small group that's looking for a restored first generation Barracuda. Some people love them, some people think their ugly.

Those are dealers who are asking way too much and have probably been sitting on those cars for a year or more waiting for some drunken buyer to come in.

Whenever someone asks me how much my car is worth I always tell them "about half of what I've put into it" It's just a cold hard reality. Anyone who is into A bodies thinking they're gonna make money is just fooling themselves. This is a hobby and like any other hobby, it costs money.

-
Back