1965 Dart GT Convertable repaint

-
Looks nice. I understand that gloss black is the toughest color to get right since every imperfection shows. I liked your photos with the cream primer, thinking that was the final coat. I have seen a 65 Dart vert that color that looked high class. Will you put the luggage rack back on? That added a lot of class in the 1st photo, though not the best for aerodynamics, and who would really tie a suitcase there.

Well, I've made a little progress lately. Last week i got the quarter windows installed. Tonight Mike the glass man came by and installed the windshield. The new windshield gasket worked great and looks good. I bought the entire rubber set from Atlas Obsolete Chrysler Parts. Here are a few pics.
Tom

Attachments

• Dart windshield 010 (Custom).JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 474
  • Dart windshield 011 (Custom).JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 462
  • Dart windshield 012 (Custom).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 454
I got my new top last week and man that thing looks great. I love the color. I can hardly wait to get it installed. My paint guy says we will cut and buff the paint in about two weeks. I don't want to put the top on untill after it's buffed out.
Tom

I'm going to need all new rubber also, so those guys are good to work with? Who did you use to supply the top?

Those guys @ Obsolete Chrysler auto parts were great to work with. Were very hepeful and very knowledgeable. I bought the top from a co. down in Florida that my paint guy recommended. Their phone # is (352)637-5505. They had some questions as to my particular car, (apparently there are two different tops for 1965 Dart) so they had me call the guy at the factory. I gave him the measurements he needed and I had my top in about 10 days. Very pleased with their service.

Tom

Tell the guy in your first post, who's sandblasting without even using a respirator, that he's going to get silicosis if he keeps doing that.:wack:

Silicosis is a very painful, deadly disease. You die from it only after a great deal of suffering. You aren't even supposed to sandblast with just a respirator; you're supposed to use a supplied-air system.

Any pics of the front with no bumper? The side pic with it looks cool and gives it a sportier look.

when i first saw the pictures i thought you were doing the chevy black underhood paint job and i got so sad! BUT then saw the rest was going to be black too.. hahaha! Looks great :)

Here is a pic of the front end. Does look kinda cool. I will be putting the bumpers back on though as soon as i get them back from the chrome shop.

Tom

Attachments

• 29 AT LAST!!.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 391
OK guys, I'm slow or at least my money is, but I've made a little more progress. My paint guy wanted me to have the top installed before we cut and buff it in case it got scratched. Here are a few pics, what do you think?

Tom

Attachments

• dart with top 007 (Small).JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 268
  • dart with top 006 (Small).JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 266
  • TOP INSTALL 009 (Small).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 272
  • TOP INSTALL 006 (Small).JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0642 (Small).JPG
    75 KB · Views: 277
Well, I'm making progress. I got some of my chrome parts back. Man do they look good! I have a few more pieces up there and should have them back in a couple of weeks. I hope to have my dash pieces back in a few weeks as well. I'm picking up my grill and trunk finish panel tomorrow. I have to get the hood finished and have the car cut and buffed before I put any of these pieces back on. I hope to be done by the end of September.

Attachments

• chrome 011 (Small).JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 213
Very few chrome shops left in my area and those that are they want a small fortune for everything. Sucks because there are a lot pieces that I need done. Was contemplating doing a brushed finish or body color.

Those guys @ Obsolete Chrysler auto parts were great to work with. Were very hepeful and very knowledgeable. I bought the top from a co. down in Florida that my paint guy recommended. Their phone # is (352)637-5505. They had some questions as to my particular car, (apparently there are two different tops for 1965 Dart) so they had me call the guy at the factory. I gave him the measurements he needed and I had my top in about 10 days. Very pleased with their service.

Tom

that car's going to be SWEET!
I just ordered mine too and got asked the same question
is it a 24 or 26 INCH TOP BOW." I never knew which one mine was until I measured. Mine's a 26 and the Wife's dart is a 24 . I have another part of a top (except front header) that has the 26 setup , so the wif's will get changed when we( I) start restoring it.

There is a local guy (within 40 miles) that does the aluminum and stainless trim pieces. He can take every scratch and ding out. It looks like brand new when it comes back. It's not cheep! But nothing about Mopar is cheep when it comes to repair. The only pieces that I'm not going to have refinished is the pieces on the inside of the A pillars and across the inside top of the windshield. They are so pitted, I'm going to blast and slick them out and paint them black. I found some on another car, but they looked just like mine. The guy wanted $130 each for them. I'll find a set that are worth plating some day.

There is a local guy (within 40 miles) that does the aluminum and stainless trim pieces. He can take every scratch and ding out. It looks like brand new when it comes back. It's not cheep! But nothing about Mopar is cheep when it comes to repair. The only pieces that I'm not going to have refinished is the pieces on the inside of the A pillars and across the inside top of the windshield. They are so pitted, I'm going to blast and slick them out and paint them black. I found some on another car, but they looked just like mine. The guy wanted $130 each for them. I'll find a set that are worth plating some day.

same here but i'm going another way , I still want the chrome look but not the price!

I just got off the phone with the spray chrome guy. he said that if I sand down the part and smooth it out he can spray chrome the parts for me for 150.00(50. per piece)with automotive hardened clear coat. So off to the sandblasting cabinet they will go so the filler and primer can get a bite on the metal, :D
ummm after the wife tells me I can anyway:banghead:D@#$ budget !@##^^#

Well, I'm making progress. I got some of my chrome parts back. Man do they look good! I have a few more pieces up there and should have them back in a couple of weeks. I hope to have my dash pieces back in a few weeks as well. I'm picking up my grill and trunk finish panel tomorrow. I have to get the hood finished and have the car cut and buffed before I put any of these pieces back on. I hope to be done by the end of September.
can I ask how much for thise pieces to get done? I have tail light bezels and frontr spears/with fins that need to be done. They sure do look nice though.

I sent 26 pieces and it cost $1200.00 I sent another few pieces that I should have back in a few days.

Here are the pieces that I picked up today. This guy does nice work.

Attachments

• chrome2 002 (Small).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 198
  • chrome2 005 (Small).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 197
  • chrome2 006 (Small).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 191
The only pieces that I'm not going to have refinished is the pieces on the inside of the A pillars and across the inside top of the windshield. They are so pitted, I'm going to blast and slick them out and paint them black.

I'd have to look but may have another decent set of the inside trim from a 65 I parted out

I sent 26 pieces and it cost $1200.00 I sent another few pieces that I should have back in a few days.

those are beautiful pieces for sure. I just hop my stainless comes out half that good.

Were the aluminum pieces re-anodized or polished?

-
Back