1965 Dart or Valiant Early A Body 7-1/4 Sure Grip Differential

• Thread starter Deleted member 38666
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 38666

I am restoring a 1965 Dodge Dart GT. I bought a 1965 Plymouth Valiant Signet with a Commando engine and the Valiant has a 7-1/4 Sure Grip which I am considering installing in the 65 Dart behind a 273 HiPo with a 904 transmission. The 7-1/4 S.G. differential from the 1965 Valiant has not been run for over 25 years, and I would think/or for sure, it should, at least, be looked over. I am thinking pinion bearing and seal along with axle bearings, seals, and....will I need new adjusters with the new style bearings? Any advice would be appreciated. I would like to keep the car as original as it would have been from the factory; therefore, the 7-1/4 versus the 8-1/4 or 8-3/4. Thanks for the help. Old Dart 66.

Your 273 auto will do fine with the 7 1/4, put it in the Dart run it a little bit and see
if its OK. IF no good look for another rear.

Your 273 auto will do fine with the 7 1/4, put it in the Dart run it a little bit and see
if its OK. IF no good look for another rear.
Hey Jim, Thanks for the input. The differential is, now, out of the car, and I thought that it would be a good time to look it over. Are seals and bearings still available for the 7-1/4? I do have an 8-3/4 S.G. With the LBP with 3.23 gears. I wanted to save that for my next project. Just thought that now would be a good time to look the 7-1/4 over....save some R&R time. Thanks. Old Dart 66

Run that 7 1/4 SG! All parts are still available and it's easy to work on. The bearings are probably good and the adjusters are not needed if your going to a green style bearing but I don't know if green bearings are available for the 7 1/4. That SG is 50% stronger than the peg legger. An auto should be fine with that rear.

Run that 7 1/4 SG! All parts are still available and it's easy to work on. The bearings are probably good and the adjusters are not needed if your going to a green style bearing but I don't know if green bearings are available for the 7 1/4. That SG is 50% stronger than the peg legger. An auto should be fine with that rear.

Thank you for the advise. My 65 Dart Charger, back in 1971, got the terror pulled out of it but never gave up. That is what i thought regarding adjusters and green bearings. Appreciate the help. Old Dart 66

If its out of the car change the bearings RWF34R and seals and fluid look inside and inspect guts.
Are those the green bearings? The RWF34R bearings? Thanks. Old Dart 66

7 1/4 rears do not use “green” bearings. The originals are not adjustable and only last for 100K. Just replace the axle bearings and seals, pull the back cover, replace the gasket or seal it with RTV. Fill with new differential lube, Dino is fine, for limited slip and enjoy.

7 1/4 rears do not use “green” bearings. The originals are not adjustable and only last for 100K. Just replace the axle bearings and seals, pull the back cover, replace the gasket or seal it with RTV. Fill with new differential lube, Dino is fine, for limited slip and enjoy.
Thanks, I learned again. This mechanical, not so much. Mostly body and paint, and changing a few engine parts. That's why I appreciate the info. Best. Old Dart 66

-
Back