1965 Dodge Dart 270 2 dr sedan

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last week I was able to buy a 1965 Dodge Dart 270 2 dr sedan from the first owner.

Back in 1965 he and his wife vent on a honeymoon to Pennsylvania. During this trip they rented a Dart 2 dr sedan. Before heading home they wanted to buy a 1965 Ford Mustang but due to problems with delivery of the new Mustang they stopped at Reedmans Dodge in Philadephia and bought this Dart.

Two weeks later it was on a ship from New York to Sweden where they used the car until 1977 when they parked it!

This is the first time ever since someone has opened the doors on the barn!

It needs a good cleaning and that should be all!

This is the first car I ever bought with a full documentation. It's got everything!

Attachments

• unnamed91.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,454
  • unnamed92.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,344
  • unnamed93.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,323
  • unnamed94.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,390
Wow, awesome find!! You must own like all of the 65 Darts over there now. :evil4:

Now I know what next project to put some time into! "The Ramcharger tribute car"

The engine is ready and after reading a bunch of old car magazines from mid 60ies I found out they used Racer Brown camshafts. They had ST12 for street use w/2 bbl carb, ST14 for drag use w/4 bbls and ST15 for drag use. I was able to find an NOS Racer Brown camshaft ST14 today on eBay!! What a coincidence!:eek:ops:

Next will be to find a gear drive! Anyone have one for sale?

:burnout:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,270
  • 002.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,270
  • 001.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,264
OK, next important item found! New Milodon Gear Drive.:glasses7:

Attachments

• DSC_0033.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,184
While cleaning the inside I found out that the package tray is totally different compared to other 65s. This one is some kind of paperboard. Has silver foil on the backside. Must have been a production change or the Hamtramck had a different set uom.

They also had a way thinner isolation. Just paper! But the package tray turned out fine.

Attachments

• DSC_0439.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • DSC_0437.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,057
  • DSC_0435.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,095
  • DSC_0436.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,078
I'm going to follow this build like your other build, that I totally enjoyed and still enjoy.

It will make for a fun driver with what you have planned.

After an ad at FABO I was able to buy a Edelbrock D64 dual carb intake for early 273. Will fit my car like a glove!

Old school, here we come! :burnout:

Attachments

• D-64%20(4).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,034
After an ad at FABO I was able to buy a Edelbrock D64 dual carb intake for early 273. Will fit my car like a glove!

Old school, here we come! :burnout:

That must be what's in the big box that showed up on my door step the other day :glasses7:

That must be what's in the big box that showed up on my door step the other day :glasses7:

I tryly hope so! If it was sent from State of Washing ton yes! I cannot wait to get it.

Keith! Do you have any buddy that has a new or used old school camshaft for small blocks for sale? A little ruff idle but driveble. Also a used converter in good shape with 2000 - 2500 rpm stall speed.

Check whenever you have time.

BTW, how are you after the surgery? I hope your doing better man!

I tryly hope so! If it was sent from State of Washing ton yes! I cannot wait to get it.

Keith! Do you have any buddy that has a new or used old school camshaft for small blocks for sale? A little ruff idle but driveble. Also a used converter in good shape with 2000 - 2500 rpm stall speed.

Check whenever you have time.

BTW, how are you after the surgery? I hope your doing better man!

Too bad you can''t find a old Crane Fireball. It's old school. Heavier on the duration side and lighter on the lift. Easy on valve train and springs. Ulf, my first car was a 65 Dart post car. It also had a "3 on the tree" manual transmission but it had a HP273 under the hood. Now I find out there were only a few produced with that combination. This will be a fun build for you. tmm

Ulf,
I don't know if you were able to see this dual quad set-up on the early Barracuda, but it had no progressive linkage. All eight barrels in unison. Carlilse 2015

Reedman dealership is still open near Philadelphia.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 971
Yes, I was fortunate to meet the nice owner. It's a 360 with dual carbs. Runs good and is quick. Don't know here gear ratio he has. But a clean engine for sure!

Ulf,
I don't know if you were able to see this dual quad set-up on the early Barracuda, but it had no progressive linkage. All eight barrels in unison. Carlilse 2015

Reedman dealership is still open near Philadelphia.

I need to get in contact with Reedman. Might find out some neat stuff.

Today was the"wax on - wax off" procedure. Turns out fing. Started to polish the stone dhield too. Let's see, just a driver.......

Attachments

• DSC_0453.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 874
  • DSC_0452.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 916
  • DSC_0451.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 929
Lol! Knowing you Ulf, it will be much better than a driver!

We'll see how it turns out! Will pick up the heads tomorrow. I need to get the gear drive in place. There is some drilling and grinding before we are there.

Attachments

• DSC_0457.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 926
Finally I found the right steering column for my car. Need some paint and then we're done! I will try to keep it as stock as possible without ruin the nice original interior.

Actually I bought two of them but one will go into my sons ute.

Attachments

• 12077068_10203592847141457_1793126290_n.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 732
Too bad you can''t find a old Crane Fireball. It's old school. Heavier on the duration side and lighter on the lift. Easy on valve train and springs. Ulf, my first car was a 65 Dart post car. It also had a "3 on the tree" manual transmission but it had a HP273 under the hood. Now I find out there were only a few produced with that combination. This will be a fun build for you. tmm

toolman! I asked around,both here in Sweden and in US and you were right. A lot of guys remember them and they were happy with them. I will continue to search but I have found a Comp cam. The cam is #20-247-4 .494 Lift ......it good for a 2500-6000 rpm range. Hope this will get me the right action!

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 857
-
Back