1965 Dodge Dart 270 2 dr sedan

-
Yes, they are! Had them painted black so it' s getting there!

Attachments

• DSC_0215.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 300
Sorry for the delay on the intake, it will be boxed tomorrow and shipped ASAP...will be a cool cruiser when done :glasses7:

After I got a bag with the inchrome of what was a steering column I managed to get it back together tonight. However I found out that the actuator that is in contact with the switch for the backup lights is gone as well as the 4 long and thin screws that holds the top together and the gear selector arrow.

Anyone out there with these small parts?

Thanks FABO

DSC_0441.JPG

DSC_0442.JPG

DSC_0440.JPG

DSC_0444.JPG

I've got a partial disassembled 65 column shift column. I will look and see what I have

I've got a partial disassembled 65 column shift column. I will look and see what I have
Good news Don! It seems to be a special clip on the outside of the rubber boot hat holds the shifting cables. That is gone too and so are the two cables!!

Ulf - I have looked and examined the column and it has no actuator for the back-up light switch or anything left that hold the cables in place. I did not find the little indicator showing what position the gearshift is in. I did find 2 short and 1 long screw which I believe holds the upper section of the gearshift housing to the lower section, but may not be correct if you say it's 4 long screws!

Ulf - I have looked and examined the column and it has no actuator for the back-up light switch or anything left that hold the cables in place. I did not find the little indicator showing what position the gearshift is in. I did find 2 short and 1 long screw which I believe holds the upper section of the gearshift housing to the lower section, but may not be correct if you say it's 4 long screws!
Thank you Don! Today I was able to buy the cables and the screws. Now I need a chrome lever, the indicator and the actuator for the backup light switch. Thank you my friend for the help.

I do have both a chrome lever (will probably need to be re-chromed) and a very nice shift lever off a 65 Coronet - factory part painted and part chrome plated plus a NOS end of the handle end

image.jpeg
Here is a picture of both shift levers - the painted/chrome one came off a 65 Coronet, the all chrome one came off my 65 Dart wagon and the little part at the top next to the NOS part is the little gear indicator which I did find still on the column (I guess I did not look hard enough!). Yes, for sale. I will PM you.

After alot of thinking and wondering I have changed my direction. My plan have been to restore everything inside and in the engine compartment and keep the rest as it is.

Well, last night I got it. I will do the interior as I planned to. But in the engine compartment I will keep everything as I just found it. It should look like a 50 year old dragcar! I will only have the front end and the engine painted. Everything else should look mid 60ies! Just cleaned.

DSC_0450.JPG

Hmmm! I will have to think about that! How about a brand new vehicle that had a Day 2 conversion with the dual 4's, headers, wheels, etc. Then you could work your magic making it look new under the hood and elsewhere - like just off the dealer's lot!

Hmmm! I will have to think about that! How about a brand new vehicle that had a Day 2 conversion with the dual 4's, headers, wheels, etc. Then you could work your magic making it look new under the hood and elsewhere - like just off the dealer's lot!
I like your idea Don! But that will put me in doing a ground up inside and under the hood. When I paint the car there will be edges in the paint between the restored areas and the outside. Plus paint dust every where.
But what about a day 2 car 50 years later? Someone raced it and put it in storage in late 60ies. Then I can make it as it was, original, and at the same time add old racing stuff they used back in the day!
This is have it looked after today. The engine is waiting for the intake from Keith and the transmission will be here hopefully next week.

DSC_0451.JPG

DSC_0452.JPG

Can you explain the term "Day 2 conversion" for a novice like me?
I'll help you here...Day 1 you buy the car new,off the dealer ship floor(60's -70's musclecar era)... Day 2 :minor modifications,begin( Tach's,after market wheels & tires,headers and exhaust..),the more serious would add intakes bigger cams,deeper gears & shifters.The hard core race car people : Disassemble the long block,bump compression,bigger cam,sometimes port the heads,bigger race intake,extra stout pressure clutch, extra deep gears...

I'll help you here...Day 1 you buy the car new,off the dealer ship floor(60's -70's musclecar era)... Day 2 :minor modifications,begin( Tach's,after market wheels & tires,headers and exhaust..),the more serious would add intakes bigger cams,deeper gears & shifters.The hard core race car people : Disassemble the long block,bump compression,bigger cam,sometimes port the heads,bigger race intake,extra stout pressure clutch, extra deep gears...
So what you're saying is that a Day 2 modified car can be modified to any level you describe, the term means that the car was modified when brand new?
I'm only asking because I know the engine is pretty hopped up already.

So what you're saying is that a Day 2 modified car can be modified to any level you describe, the term means that the car was modified when brand new?
I'm only asking because I know the engine is pretty hopped up already.
Lol, pretty much it..... The owner makes the down payment,on a new car..Takes it home.. Next day ,the tool box comes out,the owner making payments,modifications happen to his dreams.. Late model Camaro & Mustang owners (it's a youth thing,GO FAST,NOW!),are my idea,of this thought process...Hopefully,that makes more sense....

I think what Ulf is doing is a restoration of a Day 2 barn find! We'll say that the original owner bought the car on Day 1, did the Day 2 mods on it, ran it for a couple of years getting a little patina on/in it, then parked it in the barn for one reason or another. We'll say for Ulf's Dart, the motor went bad. He rescued the car, rebuilt the motor and prettied it all up but did nothing to the engine compartment, interior or exterior. That's my understanding of a Day 2 50 year later restoration. That's my interpretation and I'm sticking to it lol!

I think what Ulf is doing is a restoration of a Day 2 barn find! We'll say that the original owner bought the car on Day 1, did the Day 2 mods on it, ran it for a couple of years getting a little patina on/in it, then parked it in the barn for one reason or another. We'll say for Ulf's Dart, the motor went bad. He rescued the car, rebuilt the motor and prettied it all up but did nothing to the engine compartment, interior or exterior. That's my understanding of a Day 2 50 year later restoration. That's my interpretation and I'm sticking to it lol!
Got that right Don! Abodybomber's right too. At least here in Sweden if there is a barnfind most get rrstored. I'm gonna create a cat that still has all patina exc front end and engine. Tons of fun!

Is there any modification that they usually did in the engine compartment back in the day?

Got hold of a neat broshure issued by Plymouth's Rapid Transit System in late 60ies. Great ideas for tuning!

DSC_0463.JPG

DSC_0462.JPG

Restoring the master cylinder without making it look new was quite a challenge. My friend Johan helped me out and I was pleased with the result.

Also making new sheet metal for the lower fenders. Why doesn't anyone repop these panels?

DSC_0466.JPG

DSC_0465.JPG

DSC_0464.JPG

This car will be much like my first Mopar I owned in 1967.Bought it off the Dodge Dealer Lot .....it was a bench seat factory 4speed car.The rear was a 4.10 ..from what... I can't remember. The engine was 11-1/2 to one with a Racer Brown ST 21 Solid lifter cam and the same Edelbrock intake you have with 2 afb's(don't remember size)and fenderwell headers.That car was an absolute hoot to drive...felt very fast for the time. Would spot my buddies and their SS Chevys anywhere from 2 to 3 car lengths and never lost a race. Don't know how I missed this before but will be following it for the memories.

This car will be much like my first Mopar I owned in 1967.Bought it off the Dodge Dealer Lot .....it was a bench seat factory 4speed car.The rear was a 4.10 ..from what... I can't remember. The engine was 11-1/2 to one with a Racer Brown ST 21 Solid lifter cam and the same Edelbrock intake you have with 2 afb's(don't remember size)and fenderwell headers.That car was an absolute hoot to drive...felt very fast for the time. Would spot my buddies and their SS Chevys anywhere from 2 to 3 car lengths and never lost a race. Don't know how I missed this before but will be following it for the memories.
Thanks for sharing! Any pictures of that car?
Today I was able to do the lower patch panel. A little trimming and we're ready to weld it back together. Tomorrow the transmission will show up! Yipii!

DSC_0472.JPG

DSC_0473.JPG

DSC_0474.JPG

-
Back