1965 Dodge Dart 270 Dash Removal.

-

JustUseLinux

Reaction score
I need help figuring out how to remove the dash and all of it's components, so I can restore it, and plug a hole behind the dash. :cheers: I can't find any information online, on how to do this so I don't break anything. I have a service manual, but it doesn't mention the interior.

I removed my windshield to get the dash out, there are bolts all along the windshield line so you have to remove the windshield to get at them, this was on a 65 Barracuda.
There was a fellow on the early A forum that said he removed his dash with the windshield in but not sure how you would be able to start the screws to get it bolted back in.

I removed my windshield to get the dash out, there are bolts all along the windshield line so you have to remove the windshield to get at them, this was on a 65 Barracuda.
There was a fellow on the early A forum that said he removed his dash with the windshield in but not sure how you would be able to start the screws to get it bolted back in.
Ok. How can I remove all the non metal parts. I removed the screws but only the glove compartment and ash tray came out

If you are talking the instrument cluster. I believe there is 4 screws holding the cluster to the dash. You must disconnect the speedo cable and 1 connector on the cct board. and 2 wires to the amp meter.

It's been a while since I took mine out so I hope I have it covered properly. Hope this helps and good luck.

Post 2 is correct. The "dash" is the metal structure that goes across the front interior and supports the instruments, steering column, glove-box, and climate switches.

To remove the windshield, place a carpet on the hood, sitting in the front seat, press it out with both feet (don't kick), as a helper catches it and lays onto the carpet. Shown on TV, and probably youtube videos. Ditto for reinstall. Good time to fix rust and replace the gasket if cracked. You can get new windshields for your early A ~$170, but maybe not for a convertible.

If you are talking the instrument cluster. I believe there is 4 screws holding the cluster to the dash. You must disconnect the speedo cable and 1 connector on the cct board. and 2 wires to the amp meter.

It's been a while since I took mine out so I hope I have it covered properly. Hope this helps and good luck.

I took all the screws out, and the speedometer cable is unhooked, but only the drivers side would move. The other side was stuck.

Post 2 is correct. The "dash" is the metal structure that goes across the front interior and supports the instruments, steering column, glove-box, and climate switches.

To remove the windshield, place a carpet on the hood, sitting in the front seat, press it out with both feet (don't kick), as a helper catches it and lays onto the carpet. Shown on TV, and probably youtube videos. Ditto for reinstall. Good time to fix rust and replace the gasket if cracked. You can get new windshields for your early A ~$170, but maybe not for a convertible.

I don't think I'll be doing that if I can help it. Thanks.

Sounds like you want to remove instrument cluster and trim from the dash frame.
I'm mostly a Valiant guy and the cluster is held of with four screws, also the speedometer cable and wiring harness are also attached and need to be disconnected. The steering column might also be in the way and can be dropped a few inches.
The trim is usually held on with screws ( plastic) or nuts (if metal ) from the back and this often means poor access installed in the car. You may find the cigarette lighter holding some trim in place, check to see if it unscrews from the back side, the last Valiant I did Incould reach it after the glove box liner was removed ( four screws).
Hope this helps.
A few pics would allow everyone to help too.

front windshield is not that hard to remove, as said, it just pushes out when you take the locking strip out. Start at a corner and use your feet!

You need to remove 4 screws, the alt gauge wires, the panel wires. Be careful you don't break any of the pins off. You also need to remove the speedometer cable, light switch, wiper switch, starter switch and the cigarette lighter. When that is done, drop the steering column. It should now slide right out.

You need to remove 4 screws, the alt gauge wires, the panel wires. Be careful you don't break any of the pins off. You also need to remove the speedometer cable, light switch, wiper switch, starter switch and the cigarette lighter. When that is done, drop the steering column. It should now slide right out.

Thanks !!!

-
Back