1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
This morning I started out with the distributor cap. My old one was tan as it should be but it was not orginal. However I checked my standard 273 2 bbl setup. It had a tan cap which to me is wrong. What I have know of is that the 273x2 bbl should have black cap. Anyway I checked the inside and there was the orginal part# 2444507. So a tan for the 273x2 bbl was availible as well. Vent to my counter and checked out the HP cap I bought on Ebay. The inside held the number IBK 1003. After a closer look in the partsbook I found the part#1658534 for this cap and it's for 1965 Coronet and Belvedere cars w/383 high performance.

Anyone needing a new cap for your B-body?

On the old orginal spark plug wires there were trace of paint. They must have been added while the engine was drying. Like the bigger Hemis....! Look at the date code 3 Q 64 meaning third quarter of 1964. How cool is that!

Find the old cover plug for the rear hole for the camshaft. The factory punched it in as you can see in the picture. No markings should be on the plug except the punchmark in the center.

Assembled my head lights so now they looks like new. Thank you slantsixdan for the lamps. Appriciate it.

Ended the morning by disassemble the carb. I need to restore the bottom to like new condition. Found a guy in Washington that does it.

Is it someone else that know of people who can restore carbs to like new condition. I also need the tag in right finish.

My carb for 273x4 has a red tag. That is for a manual shifted setup. I have a 1966 273x2 bbl carb with blue tag. Was that the difference? The reason could have been for the assembly worker to take the right carb for the right engine setup?

The hose from the valveto the carb is wrong but the nut on the chrome valve is bigger then what I have seen. Is that standard on the LA built engines?

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

View attachment 015.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 016.jpg

View attachment 018.jpg

View attachment 021.jpg

Tonight I did they carburator ready for shipment to Florida.

I also polished some parts of the K-frame. Now it's ready for paint! Hope the paint get's here next week.

While I did this I found my NOS idler arm. I started to get worry when I saw it. It had the part#2072578 on it? I checked the partsbook and the book says #2072573! I was also wondering how to grease it when there is no nipple? Was this a factory part at all? Ebay scum bags! Is there anyone who has a NOS one or an unrestored ídler arm to check out the partnumber and how they look? Any help is gladly appriciated.

The carburator tag mystery is solved. Red tag for manually shifted cars and blue ones for for automatic cars!

I will be shipping my tag the same company as the bottom of the carb to get the right blue finish.

I brought the springclips that holds the hood hinge in place.They seems to be have greenish from the factory. Any NOS ones out there for reference?

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

Did some researching on the false outlets on the fenders and the doors. Cut one of them in two pieces. Does anyone have an idea where to find those "nut-in rubber"!!!! I need a full set 12 pieces.

Started the paint work on the K-frame. Looks good. Can hardly wait to shot the second layer tomorrow night. Wait until I can start putting things back where they belong...........

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

i believe the 273 distributors dual point used a differnt cap from the single point,,the dual point if i rememebr correctly were bigger around at the base,,meening the distributor housing was bigger around,,,but the dual point caps were tan in color,,,also you can get an accell cap same color,,but it seems the correct part number is what you are after,, good luck in your search on that,,,

as for your NUT IN RUBBER,,, i cant tell where that is on your picture,,, if you havent found them e mail me,, ill get you a number or ill call for you,,,to a place in the same state i live in,,,he makes a lot of the mopar weather stripping for him and other venders to sell and also has a wide selection of fasteners,,, i dont have there web address handy at the moment,,but you may have heard of them " RESTORATION SPECIALTYS"

[email protected]

Several Mopars came from the factory with suspension parts that you couldn't lube or grease. I had a low milage 69 Dart, none of the suspension joints has grease fittings. Some had a plug that you could take out and replace with a grease zerk but some didn't like yours. The one on my 66 Valiant (50,000 mile car) was the same as yours when I pulled it, no grease fitting!

i believe the 273 distributors dual point used a differnt cap from the single point,,the dual point if i rememebr correctly were bigger around at the base,,meening the distributor housing was bigger around,,,but the dual point caps were tan in color,,,also you can get an accell cap same color,,but it seems the correct part number is what you are after,, good luck in your search on that,,,

as for your NUT IN RUBBER,,, i cant tell where that is on your picture,,, if you havent found them e mail me,, ill get you a number or ill call for you,,,to a place in the same state i live in,,,he makes a lot of the mopar weather stripping for him and other venders to sell and also has a wide selection of fasteners,,, i dont have there web address handy at the moment,,but you may have heard of them " RESTORATION SPECIALTYS"

[email protected]

You are right on the caps. The standard cap was black. The Prestolite distributor had tan caps part#2585000. I know that there is a lot of look-alikes but that doesn't count! Thanks for holding your thumbs.

I will send you an email re the nut in rubber. It's located behind the fake outlets (two on the doors and one on the front fender) They were pushed through the hole.

Several Mopars came from the factory with suspension parts that you couldn't lube or grease. I had a low milage 69 Dart, none of the suspension joints has grease fittings. Some had a plug that you could take out and replace with a grease zerk but some didn't like yours. The one on my 66 Valiant (50,000 mile car) was the same as yours when I pulled it, no grease fitting!

I checked my orginal 270 4 dr sedan and it have the grease type on the idler arm but not on the pitman arm!!!!! I wonder what they did back then! Where were the routines!

I'm not sure what they were. I found an NOS one in Canada andI will have it within two weeks. I hope that it will clear up this case!

Nice!! Keep up the great work, Ulf.
Great to see this Dart come together.

I need some info; was the upper control arm bushing mounted on the control arm when it was painted? Need to know before the paint job!

I´ll have to check the sender unit in the gas tank.
And then I have a 3,91 gear for the 8 3/4, I hope to find some time to replace the 2,76 that is in the rear for the moment.
But the first thing to do is to check that the leak from between the block and the head is fixed.
Thing is, I´ve had the head removed and checked that it is within the tolerence but I don´t have the guts to test it because I see alot of work in front of me if its still leaking, lol.

Anyone having the lower control arm shaft package with bushing? Part"2275461. It needs tobe NOS condition!

Tonight I added the bolt, pins and nuts that holds the power steering unit to the K-frame. Looks nice. I also mounted the strut rod bushing.

I will order a "rubberising kit" or what ever it is called to get rubber on the clamp that will hold the power steering preasure hose to the K-frame.

I found out that the strut rod bushings are marked with the manufacturer and some kind of other codes. Did find the right codes for my car. Yes!

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

Tonight I added the bolt, pins and nuts that holds the power steering unit to the K-frame. Looks nice. I also mounted the strut rod bushing.

Interesting! When I pulled the power steering box out of my original 65 GT, it was held in by 3 bolts. Different assembly plant? Mine Dart came out of one of the plants in MI. Tomorrow when it's light, I will have to take a look at my original CA 65 Dart wagon and see how the PS box is attached.

I will order a "rubberising kit" or what ever it is called to get rubber on the clamp that will hold the power steering preasure hose to the K-frame.

Where was the hose attached to the K Frame on your GT? Looking forward to seeing that!

I found out that the strut rod bushings are marked with the manufacturer and some kind of other codes. Did find the right codes for my car. Yes!

Do you have NOS bushings and/or the metal cupped plates for the ends?

Interesting! When I pulled the power steering box out of my original 65 GT, it was held in by 3 bolts. Different assembly plant? Mine Dart came out of one of the plants in MI. Tomorrow when it's light, I will have to take a look at my original CA 65 Dart wagon and see how the PS box is attached.

Where was the hose attached to the K Frame on your GT? Looking forward to seeing that!

Don! My two one owner Darts that was made in Detroit does have bolts only! My Dartchargers that was made in LA both have two pins and one bolt! I think it was only used at the LA plant. Check on your wagon.

See the attached photo on how it looked on my car.

Yes, I do hace 4 extra NOS bushings and the plates. Do you need any? But I could use a NOS arm for the lower control arm. One of mine is not so good so to speak even if it is NOS!!

Do you have an NOS power steering preasure hose? I need one with right datecodes. Mine's for 66 or 67!! I which I knew earlier how these date codes works! That would have saved sometime and money........

View attachment Bild 017.jpg

View attachment ICCA 022.jpg

View attachment ICCA 023.jpg

View attachment ICCA 024.jpg

Don! The strut rod bushings, were they mounted from the front or back. I'm just wondering! After I mounted the bushings I started to think about fron which way they were mounted! Anyone having some info?

Nice work. Thanks for all the detailed pics. This will help when I do my Valiant.

I made a mistake! I mounted the strut rod bushings the wrong way!!!! How the hell could I not see "FRONT" on the bushing???? Anyway, the mistake is corrected now.

The clamp for the power steering preasure hose arrived today from US. I ordered the kit from Eastwoods dealer here in Sweden so by the end of next week I hope to have the clamp ready.

After closer obeservation on my NOS idler arms I found out that they hace the same partnumber casted but different size of the letters!! Might have been different suppliers.

What does DN means on the idler arm? Day/Night ?

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

^off topic..Are small bolt 14 inch chrome cragers hard to come by? What's a pair worth in nice shape?

BTW, glad the carb resto shop worked out for ya!

thanks
daniel

^off topic..Are small bolt 14 inch chrome cragers hard to come by? What's a pair worth in nice shape?

BTW, glad the carb resto shop worked out for ya!

thanks
daniel

I know for sure that they hard to find here in Sweden! In US I think they are a little more common.

Thanks for the tips Daniel, I owe you one!

no problem..I was going through all my dealer books and came across this Go/Go pamphlet. Pretty neat stuff! I can make a pdf of this if you don't have a copy. let me know. Daniel

73626569.jpg

53210025.jpg

no problem..I was going through all my dealer books and came across this Go/Go pamphlet. Pretty neat stuff! I can make a pdf of this if you don't have a copy. let me know. Daniel

73626569.jpg

53210025.jpg

Daniel! I would love to have one on pdf. Do by chance have one for the DartCharger?

-
Back