1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Fstfish! You are so right.But the judges won't accept it as assembly line correct..!!!!!!

Do you know anyone that might have a set of NOS ones?

Nice job so far. I LOVE the valvecovers in the old pics! That's really going to be amazing when you get it done. Give yourself a pat on the back for me.

Today I have been going through the sheet metal for the body. My bodyman stoped by today with a machine so I can sand down the areas that wasn't glassbeaded.

The right door is changed from the orginal door to a good donor from a 65 Barracuda. I drilled out the holes for the upper side mouldings and the lower exhaust ports. I will get more pictures tomorrow when the batteries arn't dead!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 759
Here is pictures after the door was finished.

Someone on this great site told me that he knew of a place where to get the "nut-in-rubber" for the fake exhaust ports! Let me hear from you again. Thanks

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 738
  • 003.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 747
Those valve cover bolts are not chrome, I believe they are stainless. Plus, they have a different logo on them, very unique to the 273 Commando, not many people notice this, usually always went missing over time. My dads 66 Barracuda S has the correct ones, I will see if I can get a pic next time I am there.

Those valve cover bolts are not chrome, I believe they are stainless. Plus, they have a different logo on them, very unique to the 273 Commando, not many people notice this, usually always went missing over time. My dads 66 Barracuda S has the correct ones, I will see if I can get a pic next time I am there.

Oh, I thought they were chrome! Looking forward to the pics.

A member had some for sale awhile back, just got him a PM back and they have been sold, they were listed for $30, not sure if that is what they sold for.

The bolts have the letters "SEMS" stamped on the head with maybe a circle around that?

Yes, found them! I vent out to the garage and looked up the box with the engine bolts. I had make a notice "might be valve cover bolts - not for sure"

I need to clean them and I hope they will be as new. Otherwise I might need some help to get new ones. Thank you so much Keith!

Keith! I have found out that the engine was painted without the valve covers. I have an unrestored engine and when I opened up the covers the were red paint inside!! Which means that the added the valve covers after the paint was shot. I checked my two sets of old spark plug wires and there is evidence of paint on them as well. It might be the same procedure as on the big HEMI engines, they added the cap and the spark plug wires right after the paint was on. No one bothers if there was some paint on the wires. What I know of, the 273 4 bbl engine and the HEMI is the only engines that Chrysler have had different color on the valve covers then the rest of the engine!

Does anyone else have old wires with paint on?

Another pic from Hot Rod magizine taken in 1964, so this should be a 1965.

Attachments

• 1964HotRodMagazineengine.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 855
Another pic from Hot Rod magizine taken in 1964, so this should be a 1965.

Great picture Keith. It looks like the shock on the driver side doesn't have the "cleaning tread nut" on it! Was that just on the passenger side. Another thing is that the text on the upper radiator hose is on the left side? All the ones that I have seen has been on the right side. But I know they had different manufacturers from plant to plant.

The valve cover bolts look like this, but with a bright finish. They are not stainless.

Attachments

• YwCreOpyaxrDNAaFDSwMuaXFmcmJOfGZecUlRaW5qXklxQwZJSUFVvr65eXlesWlBalFmflFQGUliXnpBYlFJcV6yfm5-gVF.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 799
Yes,that's theonesI have too. I just checked them up and it seems like they are chromed. I have some chrome peeled of on mine.

Today I recieved my NOS intake/waterpump connections. They looked great but was wrong. Is there anyone out there that know when Chrysler changed the lenght on the connections? In my world I can't figure out why reproduce something that isn't what it should be!!!! The left one is the assembly line correct piece and the right one is the NOS one!

But perhaps Chrysler back then hot washed it so much so it shrinked!

Any ideas out there?

View attachment 001.jpg

Another package showed up today and it was the PCV valve. They looks exactly as the assembly one but the text is missing! The nut is also missing the text.

But it is flawless!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 819
Great job Ulf.
Looks as Santa is visiting you every day,lol. Bet it´s a great feeling to see all these NOS-parts in your mailbox.

Do you have any exhaust shield gaskets for the plug wires? If not let me know, my dad had a few NOS ones, if he has them he may be willing to part with a pair, let me know.

Keith!THanks for the offer. I could use one left side. Drop me a PM with the details.

And thanks for the tips. I checked out Ebay on those cables and they look ecellent. However I found that the same company had the cables with the red positive cabel instead of black. They told me after I asked them that during model year 1965 Chrysler changes and in late 1965 model year they changes from black to red positive cabel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OE-S...fits=Year:1965|Make:Dodge&hash=item56418d92e8

Has anyone heard of this. I have two orginal ones back home so I will take a closer look when I get home.

Keith! Have you seen this check valve between the intake manifold and the brake booster for sale?

Attachments

• Vacuum valve.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 791
Keith!

Do you know when they changed the positive battery cable from black to red? My car is assembled in late January 1965. It seems like the early pictures we have, the cars have the black cables!

Does someone else have any info on this matter?

-
Back