1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Today I picked up the front fenders. The bodyman did a great job. I left the doors so he can weld togeter some small holes and fill in a piece of sheetmetal where the speaker was added!

The first picture shows how the damage after some wreck was repaired.Drill some holes, add a screw and bring it out!!!!! Yeah! Now that's taken care of in a proper way.

Looking good! I will have the doors before New Year. Yes! Today I also recieved some of the glass beaded bolts from US. Now they have the right finish and I'm looking forward to do some assembly work.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

Vent through the last package of nuts, bolts and misc items. I need a better J-hook for the fuel tank. Is there anyone that has a used J hook without rust. It need to be mint but I can glass bead it myself.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 988
Tonight I restored the air compressor so tomorrow I can start to glass bead some small parts.

The bodyman started with the drivers door. Someone during the cars life wanted moretunes in the car so they added doorspeakers.

I also found a piece of positive battery cable from a Dart produced August 16 1964. Black is the color. When did they switch?

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 971
  • 001.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 966
I found the hood and truck hinge lock washers.I need one of them. The finish should be greenish. I think I can have that finish reproduced.

On the intake manifold where the by-pass hose connects is a small nipple. I need one of those in NOS condition. Anyone ever seen one? They sure doesn't look like the reproduced ones.......!

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

These are not NOS but are good reproductions, look like the ones in the pic I posted 64-early 65 A-Body.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5636bdc21d

Keith!

Tonight I checked the two one owners cars that I have and they all have black positive battery cable. So until November 1964 it seems like they had black ones. I bought one for my car after looking over the pictures and compared it to my two orginals here. Thanks for the help.

I checked the old positive battery cable and look what I found! They must have switched the black positive cable in late 1964. My car is built in Jan 27 1965 so the red cable must have been after February 1965. Part# is 2587819

Does anyone have the orginal cable left? Color and assembly date of your car?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 943
Tonight I continued on the front brakes. The right side is almost ready. The guideis missing as well as the washer on the adjuster and the lever.

The left side is almost done except the guide.

I picked up the doors from the bodyman. They look excellent. Before and after picture is added. I will drill the hole for the adjustable outside miroor tomorrow.

He even found some cracks in the sheet metal. We found the reason. Missadjusted door and the vent window frame tweaked the sheet metal so much that it became cracks in the doors on several places. We'll be taken care of that.

Today arrived the steering gear head for the steering box. Wrong again!!

Anyone having an NOS one like the one in the picture?

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 011.jpg

View attachment 012.jpg

View attachment 014.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

View attachment 010.jpg

I startedout today to measure for were the holes would be. Seems like there is two versions or that someday it was Monday so the precision wasn't the best!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 881
The holes for the left síde mirror is done except the small one in the back of the mirror. I need to by a smaller drill 3 mm. I found out that over the years I have bought a NOS gasket for the mirror! Great.

Did the PCV valve so it looks brand new. It will look sweet on the valve covers. I also added the last freeze plugs in the block. Now I just need the last 4 plugs to the cylinder head!

The gasket between the steering knuckle and the backing plate is shot so I need two of those as well. The materiel looks like the wrapping stuff they have on smaller lamps and stuff here in Europe. When those are done I can bolt together the knuckles and the backing plats. How sweet is that!

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

Looking good, Ulf. You´re really moving fast forward.
Nice to follow your build.

Thanks Swedefish! Tonight I did the last of the right front fender. Found some small repair from the past but the bodyman said it was no problem and so far I believe him!

Tomorrow I will start with the right door. Boring but some one has to do it!

View attachment 002.jpg

Started tonight with the right front door. Takes alot of time to get rid of the paint around the mounting area for the outside door handle as well close to the lower line on the door. I know why I like assemble NOS parts more then this!!! But as some one told me, some one has to do it!

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

Yepp! Continued today so tonight I think the door will be done.

I started to check out the door hinges too. I have great ones but they need new bushings. I compared it with a NOS set I bout and they are not the same as the ones on the car. The holes are different as well as the body. So I continue restoring the factory ones.

I also put some dish washer power to clean the valve cover bolts. Hope that they will be good.

View attachment 004.jpg

View attachment 005.jpg

View attachment 006.jpg

View attachment 007.jpg

So finally I did the right front door. Yihaa! Tomorrow I will start with the right rear quarter panel. Took apart the door hinges too and I need to get a new set of bushings fabricated. Also need to find some mint seals for the hinges that covers the bearing on the spring.

Found three small dings and one is done. I'll keep some work for the bodyman too!

View attachment 008.jpg

View attachment 009.jpg

Jez, I'll do my very best! I need to do some work too show all you FABOers! I have a limited time for garage activities.

Today I sanded the body for almost 7 hours. I even had time to glassbead some bolt to send to US for right finish. The roof takes some time but tomorrow I will continue on the left side.

I need to get a new set of bushings for the door hinges too. I will check it out in town tomorrow. I need to glass bead them too so they will be in "new" condition when I bolt them back were they belong.

View attachment 001.jpg

View attachment 002.jpg

I hope that I ever will get a chance to have a look at your DartCharger in reality when finished, Ulf.
That is going to be a masterpiece when done.

-
Back