1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Note sure, but I will get you the fender tag info so you can decode it :D

Thanks Keith!

Santa, sorry, the mailman showed up today! He had a huge box from Chrome Tech. I opened it up and there were all the nice parts for the dash in mint condition. What a great work!

So this means that I can start on adding together the instrument cluster tomorrow! Yihaaaaa:glasses7:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 576
My dads 66 Formula S Cuda never had a decal on it, he bought his car in 1976

…more than a decade after it was built. That's a lot of time for stuff to happen. I can think of at least two plausible reasons why an air cleaner service decal present when the vehicle left the factory might not have been present by the time your dad bought the car in 1976.

While I started today with the instrument cluster I found out that I only have one ignition switch from week 8 of 1965!! Dang!

I need to found one from week 35 of 1964 up to week 3 of 1965.

When I continued with the window mecanism I found some old markings from the factory. It's an Arrow pointing towards the adjustment nut as well some kind of text.

We'll see what happens after the cleaning.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 562
  • 002.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 567
  • 001.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 566
  • 006.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 565
  • 005.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 566
  • 004.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 569
After a good cleaning the next rear window mecanism turned out great. Behind a part of the mecanism I found a #3! I don't know the meaning but it's part of the history!

I did some glass beading and when I did the newest J-hook incl the nut I found out that it has some kind a locking red glue or strip.! Is that a plastic strip or some kind of locking glue?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 547
  • 002.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 541
  • 003.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 533
…more than a decade after it was built. That's a lot of time for stuff to happen. I can think of at least two plausible reasons why an air cleaner service decal present when the vehicle left the factory might not have been present by the time your dad bought the car in 1976.

Possible, we have been in contact with the original owner recently of dads car, so I will send him an email and see if he remembers it, he might have pics of it when new for us yet if he found them. But, looking at the cover, there is no evidence of it ever having one, dads car was all original and never hot rodded, low mileage when he got it. Dad also has a pic of the engine from 1976, I will look at it closer and see what I can find.

Ulf you´r the real man

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww very nice work

Thanks Uli! Did youi make it to the Power Meet this year?

I started up with the front window mecanisms and they look good to start with. I found out that they used two different kind of grease on the mecanism. Not sure how to copy that!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 498
  • 003.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 489
  • 002.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 482
The front window mecanisms looked great after a good cleaning. One needed to be replaced probably to a not to tight screw holding the drivers window handle! Found one from a wrecked 65 Valiant that was in mint condition.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 483
Lookin good Ulf making good progress I see. Keep it up and she'll be on the road before you know it.

He Ulf , i will back to Power Meet next year 2014 !
as God wants!

Uli! I really hope to see you there next year!

After a 4 hours of cleaning the door handle mecanism looked like this. The one above was the best I had until these two. I don't think I can get them any better! The bracket that holds the vent window frame should not be silver zinc. It should have the same finish as the transmission cover.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 440
  • 002.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 446
I started on the strap for the gas tank today! Just need some heat to get rid of the under coating. But that started my search for gas tanks too.

The latest Dart wagon had some decent tanks. Especially the blue one that only had two small gentle dings, more like pushed in.

All you FABO memebers, do you think it might be possible to find a gastank without any dent or dings? The alternativ is none! I mean they do nice repop ones but that have a strange dent on the top notch above the hole for the sending unit!!!!

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 433
  • 014.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 431
  • untitled.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 423
I got the go from the judges today. The transmission cover can't be redone in the correct hot-dip galvanizing! This is where I think slantsixdan might have some leads! He seems to know all those hard to do processes! Sweet!

The next best the judge accept is a super nice factory piece cleaned to perfection. So I added the one I had and started to assemble all the brackets and bolts. Found out that the lower two small bolts holding the inspection cover needs to be done in new finish and also the upper bolt holding the starter.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 422
  • 002.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 423
Today I did the first half of the gas tank strap! It seems like there is some kind of finish as Slantsixdan mentioned. I will continue tomorrow Before I start on the gas tank.

It seems that the band has survived pretty ok under due to undercoating. On the other side against the tank seems ok too. But the mounting area with the J-hook sems to be the part of the strap that is in worst shape.

Any FABO members here that has bought a new gas tank from Quanta? I would like to see how the strap looks compare to the factory strap band.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 410
  • 002.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 414
  • 003.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 414
  • 004.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 408
I removed the gas tank from the latest wagon I got from LA and the tank is the best one I have ever seen. I will use this one for my car.

I also got the go from the Mopar judges. Slantsixdan was right! He know's his stuff, for sure! He wrote this earlier;

Terne plating used to be a low-melt lead/zinc dip, back before seat belts were necessary, back before lead and cigarettes were bad for us. Now it's not necessarily tin/lead but might be tin/zinc. Article here gives the basics but can't necessarily be relied on for precise accuracy; there's no law against lead/zinc terne and it's very likely still in use. There's also Ni-terne, which is when the bare steel is nickel plated before the terne dip -- Ni-terne has long been common in fuel tank manufacture, and while I can't come close to swearing to it, it would be a fairly safe bet that OE tanks were Ni-terned.

The judges gave himright so now I know what to searcjh for.

Does anyone know of a good Company that can provide this Ni-Terne service?

The tank will be left to my friend Emil at Metal Madness and he will start with the 24h cleaning, taking away everything and after that he will smooth out the dents and dings. Then it will be ready for new finish.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 395
  • 008.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 389
  • 007.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 006.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 005.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 401
From my "Project Dart ute" I found a great gas tank. After the cleaning at Emils place I will see which one of them is the better.

One this tank the gas tank pad is still in place. Do they reproduce them? If so, anyone bought them? I want the correct pattern!

When I removed the pad I found a tag made of brass that was fastened by lead to the tank. Anyone ever seen this before?

Anyway the tank might have been checked by 002444 Harold S Vallejo.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 361
  • 003.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 358
  • 002.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 363
  • 001.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 363
That's the kind of brass tag attached to a fuel tank or radiator that's been cleaned or repaired at a radiator shop. It actually reads "HAROLD'S - VALLEJO". That will have been a radiator shop called Harold's in Vallejo, California. Looks like they (or at least a shop called Harold's Radiator Service) are still in business.

That's the kind of brass tag attached to a fuel tank or radiator that's been cleaned or repaired at a radiator shop. It actually reads "HAROLD'S - VALLEJO". That will have been a radiator shop called Harold's in Vallejo, California. Looks like they (or at least a shop called Harold's Radiator Service) are still in business.

Thanks Dan for cleaering out that! I have never seen such a thing before! But why was it stucked under the gas tank pad?

Anyway when working on the window mecanism there seems to be some kind of oiled paper gasket between the bracket and the glass. Never seen it Before. Might be a Los Angeles item only!

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 348
  • 011.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 337
Thanks Dan for cleaering out that! I have never seen such a thing before! But why was it stucked under the gas tank pad?

Those tags were used primarily for labor-warranty purposes, so the only people who needed to see it were the ones who originally installed it.

Those tags were used primarily for labor-warranty purposes, so the only people who needed to see it were the ones who originally installed it.

I just thought it was funny to place it under the pad. Just like a assembly line worker would have done. But I checked the Harolds and they seems to be still in business.

This is how the second coat of primer looks inside the door. Quite a difference!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 320
On all the front end stuff there have been holes to put the zirk fittings, Some parts that I have bought have has just the hole, some parts have had just a screw (as in picture one) ande some have had broken zirk fittings.

After reading all Mopar magazines and also doing my own research I have found out that from 1967 and upp all cars came from factory with broken off zirk fittings. I have an assembly line correct pitman arm with a broken zirk fitting. That's the only one I have seen!

What was the situation back in 1964/1965? Did they came with broken off zirk fittings or did they have the screw as in picture one ? Any input is gladly appriciated.

Thanks FABO

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 300
  • 003.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 305
My 50K mile 66 Valiant had those screw in plugs in some of the suspension parts, also the 66 Valiant I recently parted out had that same plug in the pitman arm, I removed it for safe keeping. :glasses7:

I also remember that my 69 Dart I used to own had no zerks, I went to lube it up after I bought it and found no fittings! It was a 50K mile car as well, bought it from an old lady who bought it new, shortly after putting the car on the road full time the front suspension wore out, pretty stupid Chrysler did that. I can't remember if they were the plugs or if the zerks were snapped off, think they were broke off.

-
Back