1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
I got a set of the Vent frame gaskets from Gary Goers (http://www.garygoers.com/). These may fit as well on ebay from valleyvintage.

Oh, I didn't know. I will get in contact with Al then! Thanks!

Jim!

Reg the paint. Yes, a picture would be sweet. I found a color sheep with samples from DuPont and they had some kind of dark saddle tan.

I did the PAL nuts that holds the upper quarter panelmoulding. 16 of them and thafter the glass beading they look as new. The PlastiCote that I bought for my clips was great for these PAL nuts. I took a screwdriver and dipped it in the can and then made the plastic stuff go down inside the nut. This is the closest I came to get these done! I have never seen any NOS ones but I will never give up!

I hope that I can drill out the space for the screw so it will fit when the clips will be mounted.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 489
  • 006.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 503
Jim!

Reg the paint. Yes, a picture would be sweet. I found a color sheep with samples from DuPont and they had some kind of dark saddle tan.

Here are the best pictures I could get of the upper dash paint. It's really hard to photograph color accurately. I'd say these photographs look greener than the actual paint. In these pictures the dash pad has been removed so you are seeing the body color paint at the bottom. The areas that were covered by the dash pad and by the windshield gasket are probably more accurate.

After cleaning it and uncovering the unexposed areas, it's not as dark as I thought. Let me know if this looks like yours, or if it looks like anything you've got chips for.

Also, my name is John, not Jim. :)

Attachments

• 20130411_102319.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 442
  • 20130411_102428.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 436
Here are the best pictures I could get of the upper dash paint. It's really hard to photograph color accurately. I'd say these photographs look greener than the actual paint. In these pictures the dash pad has been removed so you are seeing the body color paint at the bottom. The areas that were covered by the dash pad and by the windshield gasket are probably more accurate.

After cleaning it and uncovering the unexposed areas, it's not as dark as I thought. Let me know if this looks like yours, or if it looks like anything you've got chips for.

Also, my name is John, not Jim. :)

Ops sorry John!

It looks green to me but according to the PPG document it should be dark saddle. Stupid me that I didn't keep a piece of the paint. I will check tomorrow to see if there are some fragments under the pad!

I went a second round with the wheel nuts. After checking my two cars these are the most common so they might be factory! But was the line or the track on the head there?

Anyone out there with older Cragar wheels with factory wheel nuts?

I'm thinking of making these in steel. Several people I have talked with want me to do them in stainless steel. But they were chromed steel from day one!

:happy1:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 430
  • 003.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 460
  • 002.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 473
I got a package from Eric today. The dip stick tube for the transmission is done. And it turned out great!

Now I can send that down to Lars "Texas" Hanbring in Stockholm so he can do the last thing on the tranny. Hopefully in May I can be able to unite the engine and tranny!

The decal for the air cleaner arrived today. After checking out three air cleaners I finally made it the way it should. I got a gap but I have that on one of my air cleares and I've seen it on factory pictures too!

Looks great on the engine too. Now the only thing that I'm missing is the two clamps that holds the hose between the air cleaner and the breather cap, the ignition coil and the wing nut for the air cleaner!! I know for sure that I have restored it with new finish and all but I can't find it!!!!!!!!!

I have one on my convertible and this is how it looks! Any input how they should look like?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 420
  • 003.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 419
  • 004.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 455
  • 005.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 006.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 426
Funny you posted that air cleaner decal Ulf, cause I found something that might be of intrest to you. The original engine callout on the air cleaner was not a thin sticker, but an aluminum style plate that was glued down to the cover with the "273" printed on it with some type of paint or ink.

While cleaning today, I found that 273 Commando air cleaner callout decal I told you about (remember I told you a member had made a small batch of them?) It is the closest thing to original I have seen, I will try to remember what member made them, maybe the guy who made this one could make you a "Charger 273" one for your car......cause sorry to say Ulf, just the sticker on it like that, although it looks nice, is NOT correct.

Give me a few mins and I will upload some pics for you :glasses7:

Here it is Ulf, notice how it is a real thin aluminum plate? The color, letters and numbers are all printed on. Also, where the "273" is, the numbers are raw aluminum, also appear to have a slightly brushed look to them, the outline for the lettering is also like this, just how the factory did it too. This is a very nice piece, not sure why nobody is making more of these, they sure sell a million of the cheapo stickers, these would sell too :glasses7:

In the pics you can also see the sticky backing, also there is some sticky glue on the edges that will have to be cleaned off, this baby is otherwise perfect.

Attachments

• DSC08526.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC08527.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC08528.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC08529.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC08530.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 392
Here it is Ulf, notice how it is a real thin aluminum plate? The color, letters and numbers are all printed on. Also, where the "273" is, the numbers are raw aluminum, also appear to have a slightly brushed look to them, the outline for the lettering is also like this, just how the factory did it too. This is a very nice piece, not sure why nobody is making more of these, they sure sell a million of the cheapo stickers, these would sell too :glasses7:

In the pics you can also see the sticky backing, also there is some sticky glue on the edges that will have to be cleaned off, this baby is otherwise perfect.

I love when you find all this stuff Keith! You just made me walk out and check on the 65 Formula S engine that I just checked. You are so right. It is added on a thin plate of aluminium. I have seen this Before on Formula S air cleaners but not on the 273 Charger engines! Can it be differencies between the two? I daubt it but I'm not sure! I have the factory decal on the air cleaner in the convertible and that's just a sticker.

Thanks Keith! Where can we found some more input?

:burnout:

I love when you find all this stuff Keith! You just made me walk out and check on the 65 Formula S engine that I just checked. You are so right. It is added on a thin plate of aluminium. I have seen this Before on Formula S air cleaners but not on the 273 Charger engines! Can it be differencies between the two? I daubt it but I'm not sure! I have the factory decal on the air cleaner in the convertible and that's just a sticker.

Hang on Buddy, you made me run out to the shop, I have a Charger 273 breather and it has the aluminum callout sticker too....let me upload more pics.....:D

You can clearly see that it is an aluminum sticker with a printed on face, the paint is scratched off, you can see dings in the decal, also, it is peeling up.

Attachments

• DSC08531.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC08534.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 416
  • DSC08533.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC08532.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC08535.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC08536.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC08537.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 429
Thanks Keith! I will order a new decal and find an aluminium plate and cut it the way it should be. It looks like it is glued to the lid! Is it someone on this site that makes them the way they were?

Sometimes it talk a couple of tries before it get's right!

Thanks Keith! I will order a new decal and find an aluminium plate and cut it the way it should be. It looks like it is glued to the lid! Is it someone on this site that makes them the way they were?

Sometimes it talk a couple of tries before it get's right!

Yup, I think it was glued on. Mid to late Buicks had the same style callout, I have an aluminum badge/sticker from a 455 Wildcat engine, it was done the same way this one was, glued on. It was a member here who had them made by somebody else...I will do my best to find out who it was, been awhile since I bought it. I know some other FABO members bought some from him at the time too. If I can find him, I am sure he can guide you in the right direction to have more made, you could probably do a small batch of them.

On one of the Charger 273 air cleaners I obtained, it also had the aluminum plate with the printed decal on it. I thought that was pretty unusual as all I've ever seen is the decals on the air cleaner.

I will get to the storage and get a couple of pictures of it. As I recall it was not nearly as nice as the one Keith showed.

Here is the one from my Charger 273 air cleaner

Attachments

• pie pan 006.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 402
  • pie pan 007.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 410
Funny you posted that air cleaner decal Ulf, cause I found something that might be of intrest to you. The original engine callout on the air cleaner was not a thin sticker, but an aluminum style plate that was glued down to the cover with the "273" printed on it with some type of paint or ink.

Silkscreened.

Silkscreened.

Great info Dan!

Way back in the 80ies I reproduced the manufacturers plate that was standard on all export cars. They are printed on a thin aluminium plate. I know I helped someone out a while ago. I did both the Dodge and the Valiant plates. That aluminium is super thin and seems to be about the same when I see the backside of yours.

See the Picture. Would that be the same? To me it make sens. It would be way easier to get the ends together with an aluminium plate where you put the ends togetherand glue it in place. A decal is way more time consuming o get in the right place.

Attachments

• ICCA 057.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 392
Hey, how about that! I bought a couple of those off eBay some years ago -- didn't know it was your work. Yes, this is exactly the same print process.

Glad they ended up at a good home, Dan!

I talked with a company today and I will make 10 or 20 of them. I will keep 5 of them and sell the restl of them depending on the cost. Anyone interested?

According to the company thet can make an exactly reproductio. BUT thet need to know the right red color!!

Anyone have a mint call out?? I just need some good picture so I get the red color!

-
Back