1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Thanks Plaschy! It's getting better and better!

Today was the spare wheel day! I did some serious paint job on the rim last night and then today my oldest son Kevin gave me a hand with mounting the tire at Ettings Maskinservice where he works. He did take some extra care when mounting a 49 year old tire but it all vent good.

Some cleaning and the tire was ready to into the trunk. After I put it in the trunk I could add the jack stand plate and the wing nut. On top of that the bowl plate and the last wind nut. Even if this a factory correct tire with the right dimension there is a gap of almost 1 inch on the sides of the spare wheel cover!! Does not look good but that's the way they came!

I also mounted the front bumper brackets. That work gave me a question; - Were the brackets mounted on the bumper before mounting it or was the brackets loose mounted on the body before the bumper was added??

Any comments is greatly appriciated!

Thanks FABO

If the bumper brackets will fit through the opening in the valance panel, my vote would be that the brackets should be bolted to the bumper and the bumper and brackets lifted into position as an assembly. Start the brackets through the holes in the valance panel, install the lights into position and then bolt the brackets to the frame rails.

Remember you're doing this like the factory did. You've got 45 seconds to get it right! LOL!

From what I recall from seeing '63 - '66 trunks, the gap between the masonite and the trunk floor is pretty normal. Remember this trunk pan stamping was designed for tires for 6cylinder cars. So I believe a 6.50-13 will give you a better fit, but V8 cars got wider tires which will sit taller in the tire well. The V8 engine A-body car wasn't considered when approval for these panels was signed off.

Thanks Kevin for clearifying this!

Actually I never thought of the diffenrencies between the trunk floors on slant six and V8 cars. But you nailed it!

Thanks!

Re the chrome I will check the speed on the line. I will pick up the chrome on Saturday!

According to the parts book there should be two sleeves on the car, one on each side. So the question is which side of the upper control arm should the sleeve be mounted??

The sleeve (1857 840) was available for installation at the rear of each arm for severe-duty applications -- police, taxi, etc. There's a TSB on it, but I can't find it at the moment. The sleeve could also be used to take up the slop if the bushing wouldn't fit tightly; that may be why the FPC shows "2" instead of "AR" (as required); perhaps it was assumed that by the time bushings would need replacement, sleeves would be warranted.

I can't imagine any harm that might come by installing all four sleeves, if they'll all four fit, on general principle.

The sleeve (1857 840) was available for installation at the rear of each arm for severe-duty applications -- police, taxi, etc. There's a TSB on it, but I can't find it at the moment. The sleeve could also be used to take up the slop if the bushing wouldn't fit tightly; that may be why the FPC shows "2" instead of "AR" (as required); perhaps it was assumed that by the time bushings would need replacement, sleeves would be warranted.

I can't imagine any harm that might come by installing all four sleeves, if they'll all four fit, on general principle.

Thanks Dan! Now I know what to do with the sleeves. Can it be something with space for the sleeve between the cam brackets and the shock tower?

I just checked my '65 Dodge TSBs, and amazingly there are none for Group2 (Front Suspension). I read through the titles of all that I have and couldn't find one that talks about control arms.

The main reason I can't find the TSB is I don't recall what year it was published. Sometime between '62 and '64 I think. Or…h'mm. I wonder if it might've been an MTSC booklet rather than a TSB? Just don't remember. I must have a memory leak!

The main reason I can't find the TSB is I don't recall what year it was published. Sometime between '62 and '64 I think. Or…h'mm. I wonder if it might've been an MTSC booklet rather than a TSB? Just don't remember. I must have a memory leak!

Not doubting your recall abilities old friend, but when did a Dart ever get any HD applications?

Dan! Have you searched www.imperialweb.com? They have all the MTSC books with each side!

The NOS parking brake wire showed up today from Chets Autoparts. Mint condition still in factory package! It even had the yellow paint on the end of the right side. Not sure what it stands for. Anyway it is in place and know I have the parking brake system done! Check!

:cheers:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 426
  • 002.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 448
Not doubting your recall abilities old friend, but when did a Dart ever get any HD applications?

FPC shows availability of HD shocks, HD springs, HD torsion bars, and taxi-spec equipment for A-bodies. But now you've got me wondering even more about that TSB, which might have been written with reference to B-bodies. Nevertheless, the same sleeve is listed for A- and B-bodies in the '65 FPC, with a quantity of 2 (not 4) per car, and the TSB did definitely call for the sleeve to go in the rear-bushing location on each side.

I show the p/n in question (1857 840) is new for '62, where it is listed as 2 per car for B-bodies only. Same in '63 and '64. The first listing of this (or any) sleeve for A-bodies is in '65, and it continues in '66 and '67. I also checked '69, where it's still the same (2 per car for A- and B-bodies), only now it's called "SLEEVE, arm locking". Same applications in '70 and '71 and '72 ("SLEEVE, arm"). In '73 it's called out as 2 per car for A-bodies only, not for B or any other.

FPC shows availability of HD shocks, HD springs, HD torsion bars, and taxi-spec equipment for A-bodies. But now you've got me wondering even more about that TSB, which might have been written with reference to B-bodies. Nevertheless, the same sleeve is listed for A- and B-bodies in the '65 FPC, with a quantity of 2 (not 4) per car, and the TSB did definitely call for the sleeve to go in the rear-bushing location on each side.

I show the p/n in question (1857 840) is new for '62, where it is listed as 2 per car for B-bodies only. Same in '63 and '64. The first listing of this (or any) sleeve for A-bodies is in '65, and it continues in '66 and '67. I also checked '69, where it's still the same (2 per car for A- and B-bodies), only now it's called "SLEEVE, arm locking". Same applications in '70 and '71 and '72 ("SLEEVE, arm"). In '73 it's called out as 2 per car for A-bodies only, not for B or any other.

I'd be inclined to think that the bushing/sleeve would have been released for B-body cars. The fact that it later became available for A-body cars suggests a commonization of tooling used to manufacture control arms. Throw in the questionable "quality control" Chrysler was famous for, and I can see where there'd be a need for the bushing to help with the rear mount of the control arm wandering around and messing up the handling of the car.

Thanks for the input Dan and Kevin. I think Chrysler had a reason for adding those sleeves but I'm not sure if the reason can be found. Possible in a TSB as you mention Dan.

Thanks Dart Doctor! I think it has shown up alot of factory stuff, procedures, reasons etc during this time. Hopefully more can use that knowledge too!

Saturday morning me and my buddy Johan took off for a 825 mile trip to pick up allthe chrome for my car and to pick up a 4-speed w/Hurt shifer for his Valiant V100 Project. 04.00 AM we took of and got back 11.40 PM.

The chrome was done by Dala Krom in Borlange and they did a terrific job. All I can say is wow! Then we stopped by an old man that had three 65 Barracuda and one of them was a Formula S sold new here in Sweden!! He had also a 65 Signet and a 66 Valiant wagon in ruff condition.

The tranny was athe old style and has never been apart of worked with. Great start!

We also ran across an old junkyard with 100+ US cars only!! We found another 20 early As so that the next trip!! I'll see if I can upload the pictures.

This morning I started to assemble the exterior chrome. Feels nice to be able to finish the outside of the car. The door handles looks great but I have never thought that I was going to add factory grease in a door handle ever!!!! :banghead:

This week will be an assebly week of chrome!!:glasses7:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 005.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 391
  • 002.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 405
  • 001.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 003.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 398
Thanks for the input Dan and Kevin. I think Chrysler had a reason for adding those sleeves but I'm not sure if the reason can be found. Possible in a TSB as you mention Dan.

Thanks Dart Doctor! I think it has shown up alot of factory stuff, procedures, reasons etc during this time. Hopefully more can use that knowledge too!

Saturday morning me and my buddy Johan took off for a 825 mile trip to pick up allthe chrome for my car and to pick up a 4-speed w/Hurt shifer for his Valiant V100 Project. 04.00 AM we took of and got back 11.40 PM.

The chrome was done by Dala Krom in Borlange and they did a terrific job. All I can say is wow! Then we stopped by an old man that had three 65 Barracuda and one of them was a Formula S sold new here in Sweden!! He had also a 65 Signet and a 66 Valiant wagon in ruff condition.

The tranny was athe old style and has never been apart of worked with. Great start!

We also ran across an old junkyard with 100+ US cars only!! We found another 20 early As so that the next trip!! I'll see if I can upload the pictures.

This morning I started to assemble the exterior chrome. Feels nice to be able to finish the outside of the car. The door handles looks great but I have never thought that I was going to add factory grease in a door handle ever!!!! :banghead:

This week will be an assebly week of chrome!!:glasses7:

Looks fabulous. Are you putting the vinyl back on the roof? I haven't checked specifically, but I have only ever seen Dart GTs with vinyl.

Looks fabulous. Are you putting the vinyl back on the roof? I haven't checked specifically, but I have only ever seen Dart GTs with vinyl.

Kevin! This car came without the vinyl roof. Actually I would think a white vinyltop would do it and I would love to have it. But you know the story, factory assembly line............:banghead:

Kevin! This car came without the vinyl roof. Actually I would think a white vinyltop would do it and I would love to have it. But you know the story, factory assembly line............:banghead:

That's why I love this thread so much, DETAILS! :toothy7:

Probably the best restoration on the site......maybe anywhere.

I'm guessing you have and have decoded the fender tag for the car? Did you post it in this thread and I missed it?

Thanks for the input Dan and Kevin. I think Chrysler had a reason for adding those sleeves but I'm not sure if the reason can be found.

…? The reason's already known and stated, right here in this very thread!
redbeard.gif

I parted out a late build 65 Dart GT hardtop with no vinyl top. According to my 65 literature they were optional in either black or white.

Thanks Rockerdude, Back In Time and Rusty Rat Rod for your encouraging comments.

Kevin! It there was a vinyl roof car I would have #5 for black vinyl top or #6 for white vinyl top under number 6 in the upper raw. Sorry for that! :banghead:

I started to assemble the front bumper. First off was to paint semi-gloss black inside the front bumper guards. After that assemble the bumper guards to the bumper with black phosphated H head bolts with silver cad washers and it turned out great.

Put it in Place by myself is another story but I was thinking assembly line workers dated 1964/1965. Thanks Kevin for the idea of putting the brackets and stuff in place hefore mounting it to the body.

Everything turned out well. Now I just need to find the screws holding the turn signal assemblies..........!

The front license plate bracket is done and I have also installed the plastics and the screws. BUT, what I think is that the factory only added the bracket in a air tight plastic bag in the trunk. Any ideas about this?

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 360
  • 011.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 351
  • 009.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 355
  • 008.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 007.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 350
  • 006.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 346
  • 005.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 339
  • 013.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 352
Thanks Rockerdude, Back In Time and Rusty Rat Rod for your encouraging comments.

Kevin! It there was a vinyl roof car I would have #5 for black vinyl top or #6 for white vinyl top under number 6 in the upper raw. Sorry for that! :banghead:

I started to assemble the front bumper. First off was to paint semi-gloss black inside the front bumper guards. After that assemble the bumper guards to the bumper with black phosphated H head bolts with silver cad washers and it turned out great.

Put it in Place by myself is another story but I was thinking assembly line workers dated 1964/1965. Thanks Kevin for the idea of putting the brackets and stuff in place hefore mounting it to the body.

Everything turned out well. Now I just need to find the screws holding the turn signal assemblies..........!

The front license plate bracket is done and I have also installed the plastics and the screws. BUT, what I think is that the factory only added the bracket in a air tight plastic bag in the trunk. Any ideas about this?

I think it's well known that Chrysler did not put a front license plate bracket on cars in U.S. states that didn't use a front plate, but whether or not it was shipped loose in the trunk on cars that did use one, I can't remember. I'm inclined to think you're right, that it would be shipped loose. There might have been a dealer letter than indicates if that was being done, but if there was, I don't have it.

I think it's well known that Chrysler did not put a front license plate bracket on cars in U.S. states that didn't use a front plate, but whether or not it was shipped loose in the trunk on cars that did use one, I can't remember. I'm inclined to think you're right, that it would be shipped loose. There might have been a dealer letter than indicates if that was being done, but if there was, I don't have it.

I think that I've seen it in one of the Mopar Magazines, not sure which one of them. In the trunk was the hub caps, antenna post etc. It was easier for Chrysler to let the dealer do the work.

Re the DartCharger I'm not sure. The DartChargers were a Orange County/Los Angeles dealer package to compete with the Mustangs and the Barracudas. So where the Cragar mags, DartCharger badges were added I'm not sure. It might have been a dealer work too but I have no prof for it!

-
Back