1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
When I worked at the muffler shop we used a piece of muffler pipe to knock that boot on without damage.

I Think Johan did it from a pipe!!

Last Friday I found a company in California called Clips & Fasteners Inc.

They had the right model of wellnut. I'm not sure who I was talking to about these wellnuts but on their website I found a wellnut 10-24. I ordered them on Friday and they showed up here in Tavelsjo out in the sticks in northern Sweden today!!

Theseone are the ones that I needed. They are a little too long but that was solved through taking a longer screw and mount them to the door and then change to the smaller ones. Worked out good but was a little tricky. I can truly recommend them. Super supplier BIG TIME!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 583
  • 011.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 587
  • 010.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 588
  • 009.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 590
  • 008.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 604
  • 007.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 609
  • 006.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 562
  • 005.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 587
  • 004.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 591
  • 003.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 572
While I was working on the inner fender I came in the mood of thinking if my antenna was ok. I found an NOS Motorola antenna years ago on the Portland Swapmeet.

It fits great but has not the same lower body as the one on my wagon. Was there different vendors for antenna?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 546
  • 003.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 600
  • 002.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 549
Only one option for factory antenna on '65 A-body: 2291 336. Pretty sure they were not made by Motorola. Lots of cars of that era wound up with random antennas on them because often a radio was not added until after the car was built and shipped.

Only one option for factory antenna on '65 A-body: 2291 336. Pretty sure they were not made by Motorola. Lots of cars of that era wound up with random antennas on them because often a radio was not added until after the car was built and shipped.

Anybody have details of the factory field installation kits for radios? I'm sure they would have included an antenna. Would it have been that p/n? I suspect other than having a Chrysler specific style of base, any antenna vendor would have been free to use their own mast design as long as it passed Chrysler tech requirements.

Thanks Dan and Kevin for your input.

After I took the pictures yesterday I was wondering when the staff at the assembly line mounted the antenna? From the picture on the station wagon it seems like the antenna was added to the fender and then the rubber boot was placed on the cable towards the body the wrong way! It looks like the hole was punched from the inside out. If they punched the hole it should have been a totally different rubber boot to cover the hole.

Some of the cars I have examin the staff punched or drilled the hole for the antenna cable from the outside and sometimes on the inside. In my opinion the rubber boot should be added in the punched hole from the outside of the body. In that case the boot would work properly.

I wonder if there has been a TSB for this matter? Any input is gladly appriciated.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 534
  • 002.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 520
Thanks Dan and Kevin for your input.

After I took the pictures yesterday I was wondering when the staff at the assembly line mounted the antenna? From the picture on the station wagon it seems like the antenna was added to the fender and then the rubber boot was placed on the cable towards the body the wrong way! It looks like the hole was punched from the inside out. If they punched the hole it should have been a totally different rubber boot to cover the hole.

Some of the cars I have examin the staff punched or drilled the hole for the antenna cable from the outside and sometimes on the inside. In my opinion the rubber boot should be added in the punched hole from the outside of the body. In that case the boot would work properly.

I wonder if there has been a TSB for this matter? Any input is gladly appriciated.

TSB 65-54 Covers manual antenna installation and trimmer adjustment for full size cars. Very few Dart specific TSBs were issued for the 1965 model year.

I don't see a method to attach a file to a reply.

Tried copying and pasting the list of '65 Dodge TSB's, but it pastes as a big mess.

Kevin, email me the file and I'll host & post it if you like. You sure there's no (US or Canada) '65 TSB covering antenna installation? I'm not near my collection right now, but ISTR a bulletin pretty much every year containing dimensions and templates for antenna installs on the various models.

I don't see a method to attach a file to a reply.

Tried copying and pasting the list of '65 Dodge TSB's, but it pastes as a big mess.

Looking forward to see it Kevin!

I was in a need to change theparking brake wires on my wagon. They were totally stuck! When disassembling them I found out that they had paint splots on the end toward the backing plate. It seems like it's dark blue or black paint.

Ever seen it on your Los Angeles built car?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 501
  • 001.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 504
Kevin, email me the file and I'll host & post it if you like. You sure there's no (US or Canada) '65 TSB covering antenna installation? I'm not near my collection right now, but ISTR a bulletin pretty much every year containing dimensions and templates for antenna installs on the various models.

Checking.........

Only Canadian bulletins I see remotely in the correct time frame are #1276 dated 65/09/24 Antenna installation for '66 B body cars with factory radio and factory a/c; 1285 dated 65/10/29 same thing for just Plymouth B-body cars; 1285A dated 66/02/04 Radio antenna mounting template, all 1966 pass cars; 979 dated 62/02/20 Antenna trimmer adjustment for Cdn built cars. There are none from anything like the 1965 model year.

In the 1965 Chrysler Plymouth TSBs (U.S.) I found 65-50 dated 65/02/24 Manual antenna installation and radio trimmer adjustment, 1965 CYP which is the only one.

The bulletin I've already mentioned is the only one with "antenna" in the subject line from the 1965 Dodge U.S. TSBs.

Checking.........

Only Canadian bulletins I see remotely in the correct time frame are #1276 dated 65/09/24 Antenna installation for '66 B body cars with factory radio and factory a/c; 1285 dated 65/10/29 same thing for just Plymouth B-body cars; 1285A dated 66/02/04 Radio antenna mounting template, all 1966 pass cars; 979 dated 62/02/20 Antenna trimmer adjustment for Cdn built cars. There are none from anything like the 1965 model year.

In the 1965 Chrysler Plymouth TSBs (U.S.) I found 65-50 dated 65/02/24 Manual antenna installation and radio trimmer adjustment, 1965 CYP which is the only one.

The bulletin I've already mentioned is the only one with "antenna" in the subject line from the 1965 Dodge U.S. TSBs.

Looking forward to see that service bullentin Kevin!

Last night I was in the mood to assemble the last upper control arm. When you mount your second UCA, it's funny how fast you use the result from adding the first UCA. I did it Another wayand it vent way smoother. I guess that's the way the assembly line workers at Chrysler vent through this process all the time too!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 455
  • 004.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 425

Two things: 1. I've emailed you the excel file for you to post. 2. I'm wondering if you're thinking of Parts Bulletins? I'd bet THAT's where you'd find annual information on antenna installations.

2(a). I have virtually no parts bulletins, so I can't confirm or refute that conjecture.

Looking forward to see that service bullentin Kevin!

Last night I was in the mood to assemble the last upper control arm. When you mount your second UCA, it's funny how fast you use the result from adding the first UCA. I did it Another wayand it vent way smoother. I guess that's the way the assembly line workers at Chrysler vent through this process all the time too!

I'll stand to be corrected on this, but I'm guessing that because the car is unibody and the chassis components were built up separately as their own assembly, when it came time to mate the body to the chassis & running gear, all the line guys did was throw the bolts through the bushings, rough orient the alignment cams and torque everything up.

45 seconds!

Kevin, I don't have a lot of PIBs, but I do have some mixed in with the TSBs. Unfortunately my pre-'67 bulletins are thousands of KMs and an international border away, so I can't dig and check. Reminds me I ought to get back on the efforts to repatriate them.

Here's that TSB index.

Attachments

• 65_US_Dodge_TSB_List.pdf
    53.8 KB · Views: 369
Kevin, I don't have a lot of PIBs, but I do have some mixed in with the TSBs. Unfortunately my pre-'67 bulletins are thousands of KMs and an international border away, so I can't dig and check. Reminds me I ought to get back on the efforts to repatriate them.

Here's that TSB index.

So, they're in Meeecheegan? I should go and pick them up for you..........

Here's that TSB index.

Thanks Dan for this incredible list! I will go through it to see what TSB I miss. You really dig up some hard-to-find information! :cheers:

Thank Kevin! He's the one who provided the list, I just reformatted it and posted it here.

Time for a commercial. I'm close to being able to catalog all of the duplicate service bulletins I've got and will put them up for sale or trade for those I'm missing. I'm trying to accumulate a complete set of TSBs, both Canadian and U.S. which means prior to 1971 means separate sets for each division. I'm finding DeSoto bulletins the most difficult to come up with.

I have no contacts at Chrysler anymore to speak of, so I don't even know if TSBs are still printed on paper. They may all be electronic only.

Time for a commercial. I'm close to being able to catalog all of the duplicate service bulletins I've got and will put them up for sale or trade for those I'm missing. I'm trying to accumulate a complete set of TSBs, both Canadian and U.S. which means prior to 1971 means separate sets for each division. I'm finding DeSoto bulletins the most difficult to come up with.

I have no contacts at Chrysler anymore to speak of, so I don't even know if TSBs are still printed on paper. They may all be electronic only.

Thanks Kevin! I'm more then grateful for all the information you have provided me with.

Today was assembly day for the steering column. After going through the shop manual I was able to track down all the colors of the cables and where to put all the prongs!(not sure of spelling!!!!!)

Anyway it vent ok and tomorrow I will put it in the car and bolt it. Then I might be able to test the electrical system on the car!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 325
  • 001.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 324
Can you post a diagram of how you laid out the wires? I have to do this to my 64 so I can pull the harness and check for shorts/breaks.

Can you post a diagram of how you laid out the wires? I have to do this to my 64 so I can pull the harness and check for shorts/breaks.

Hope you can use these pictures. As you see not all the prongs were used. I posted the electrical wiring scheme too. Let me know if you need anything else.

After finishing the steering column it is now in place. It was a Little tricky to do it myself but if the staff at the assembly line did it I can too!!

The bracket that holds the steering column in place has a special bent tag that goes into column. That tag should be placed toward the firewall.

Dont forget the coupling between the two wiring harnesses. There is a plastic mounting stud that goes on top the column so the wiring does not "hang down" from underneath!

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 012.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 011.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 288
  • 008.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 007.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 005.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 290
  • 004.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 003.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 002.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 014.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 299
Hey Ulf. Looks great. I'm putting together the column for my 66 right now. I have the clamp, but my column does not have the insulator on it as shown on the 66 parts catalog. Any chance you have pictures of how your's is mounted up??
Thanks.
Jim

-
Back