1965 Dodge Dart Coolant Recovery Tank???

-

williaml

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Dodge Darts had a factory coolant recovery tank from the factory? my dart spews antifreeze when warming up then by the gauge runs hot when looking in the radiator it is always 1"-1.5" low. I'm thinking if I put a coolant recovery tank in or re-Install if it came with one from the factory it might solve my issue.

Thanks for reading / responding.
Bill

No coolant recovery tanks were used on any early A body. I think they started using them around 72 or so. Summit/Jegs has some recovery tanks you could use if desired.

I installed a little kit from Advance auto. Sort of hex shaped bottle. You'll need a recovery type cap too.
Please know this will not cure a overheating issue.

Redfish,

This car still has me stumped. When I purchased the car the owner changed the engine because when he found the car the engine ran but overheated. So, I took the car and the original engine and had that engine re-built professionally. By the gauge the car Max's the needle to an overheated mark. No antifreeze spews out of the radiator when needle is pegged. I lose antifreeze through the cap by 1.5 - 2" I thought if installed a coolant tank if the coolant goes in the tank I won't be running low. So far I've changed or had serviced the following:
Radiator
Water pump
Thermostat 160
Radiator cap
Sending unit

The engine that was in the car before the switch ran in the correct temp. I don't know if it is really running hot or something else.

Thanks for reading / responding

get a gauge and put sender IN the radiator hose with a hose adapter. a Puke tank can be as simple as a 2L 7-up bottle with the hose off the cap spud run down to the bottom so itll suck up the coolant when it gets cold. Need modern cap. OF course they make nicer ones but they end up just being deep slender buckets.

Nice alum ones on ebay for ~$20, if you don't mind Made In China. People say it is normal for the water to be 2" below the cap, and you need some air reservoir at the top. I used to see that in my minivans, and kept filling to the top, then noticed the level in the coolant reservoir kept climbing. The car just spews the excess out when it heats up, to get the 2" air gap it wants.

To verify your engine is truly over-heating, buy an IR Gun for $25 (sale at H.F.). I found mine to be amazingly accurate. Shoot next to the temperature sensor. I also use it to verify thermostat opening in a pot of hot water. You can also verify the sensor's resistance vs temp and your gage's readings vs test resistors. I have done so in several cars, and it is a bit of a science project, but I am geared up for such. A poor-boy approach is to watch if it controls to the same position on the dash gage, regardless of outside temperature. If so, the T-stat is probably regulating (thus not wide-open), so it just becomes a question of whether you T-stat is working correctly (see pot of water test).

-
Back