1965 Formula S specs - mine

-

stillrunners

Just a wrench short of a full tool box !
Reaction score
Well here goes some info - my S car is a 4 speed silver with red inside and maybe a dealer installed red stripe down it. It has the standard Valiant red steering wheel instead of the wooden one found on most Cuda's. It also has a dash pad and I think it had the add on A/C unit hanging down under. It was neat to find what was left of the build sheet under the carpet and kinda neat the shipping #'s line up but not the sequence #'s ?

There is a stamp right through the metal that looks kinda like a shoe - it is where the - X is.

Also up in the area to the right corner is Z61 or Z6I....not sure what that means.
Funny the car has a posi track but it is in a 7 1/4 rear end and not a 8 3/4..
Enjoy....
1965 Formula S build form silver red 4 sp.jpg
1965 Formula S build form silver red 4 sp filled out.jpg

They didn't install the 8 3/4 in 65 Barracudas. I think 66 was the first year for an A Body 8 3/4. My 62 Lancer has some strange stamps on the fender tag. There is a separate number 42 stamped and a heart stamped all the way through the tag.

8 3/4 was a mid year change for the 4sp cars. Documented somewhere here. 7.25 was a sure grip too, and not too bad strength wise. Welcome to the NN Barracuda silver Poly club!
1a.jpg

Nice car with the proper stripe! What's your plan? 65'

8 3/4 was a mid year change for the 4sp cars. Documented somewhere here.

Almost true - mid year change on 273/235 4 speed cars. The 65 4 speed assembled in late March Barracuda I parted out last year was a 2 barrel 273
that had a 7.25 non-SG rear end. I parted out a 65 Dart GT 273/235 4 speed late 65 build that still had it’s 8.75 in it.

Almost true - mid year change on 273/235 4 speed cars. The 65 4 speed assembled in late March Barracuda I parted out last year was a 2 barrel 273
that had a 7.25 non-SG rear end. I parted out a 65 Dart GT 273/235 4 speed late 65 build that still had it’s 8.75 in it.
I was talking our 'S' models so 273/235 was the motor. I think it was a 'head up' from dealers that the 4bbl 4sp rears were coming back broken.

I was talking our 'S' models so 273/235 was the motor. I think it was a 'head up' from dealers that the 4bbl 4sp rears were coming back broken.

Yep you are correct about the "S" and the 273/235. I am not sure if Valiant 200/100 models were available with the 273/235 4 speed but Dart 170/270 and of course GT's (other than the wagons) was optional with the 273/235 and 4 speed, even in a 4 door!

The 'S' wasnt the only option with the 4bbl, you could get C code 5 'Performance package' incl: 273 cubic inch HP 4 bbl, suspension package + power brakes. (Valiant/ Barracuda) trans and rear unknown in this package

I had a HP 273 in my 65 Dart. It was a 270 post car with a 3 on the tree. I have no clue what rear end. I do know that one rear 13" bias ply tire would smoke through first and half of second! :steering::rofl::steering:

Maybe I could find the fender tag from my first S car a 1965 4 sp that did have the 8 3/4 but an open rear. It was not a stock car as it already had fender well headers I still have for some reason. That was about 1977 and still have most parts from it as it was parted out due to the hit and run it got out on the street parked. The 66 S was an auto car with a 7 1/4 - think I have that tag some where as it was parted out from a bad front hit.

The stupid part of the plan is to go back with a 273 Hi Po....gathering parts for a stock build with a low mileage 273 with two sets of good Hi-Po parts and some 30 over Ross pistons I have for the original bore block it came with. It sat to long as a bare short block - to clean it up stock - so it will get the boring bar. The body will just get gone over - it's not to bad - but that's another story ! I'll go back with a new interior and the only change will be a 8 3/4 out back. New windshield for sure and the 7 1/4 posi will go into my late 1964 Val convert that came with a 273. Not sure about the stripe yet or the A/C back in.

Oh what's funny a few months later - what shows up on CL ? A Cuda with a 273 and a 3 on the tree in the same silver / red seats / and stripe. Didn't buy it - was priced right - it's over in Fort Worth....took a pic next to it........
IMG_4455.JPG

My old '66 Commando four speed Barracuda (SPD Oct 19) had the original 7-1/4 when I got it in 1980 (my buddy had picked it up in 1975). The 8-3/4 seemed to be hit or miss on '66 cars.

My 65 FS 4 speed (C11 SPD) came from the factory with a 7 1/4 open rear end and my 66 FS 4 speed (922 SPD) came from the factory with a 7 1/4 suregrip.

Yep you are correct about the "S" and the 273/235. I am not sure if Valiant 200/100 models were available with the 273/235 4 speed but Dart 170/270 and of course GT's (other than the wagons) was optional with the 273/235 and 4 speed, even in a 4 door!
In 1966 I had a V100 2 door sedan with a Commando and 4 speed- they existed- ran F/Stock NHRA

The 'S' wasnt the only option with the 4bbl, you could get C code 5 'Performance package' incl: 273 cubic inch HP 4 bbl, suspension package + power brakes. (Valiant/ Barracuda) trans and rear unknown in this package
I owned a completely stock 65 Rally Pack car- Commando- no sway bar and 13 inch wheels

In 1966 I had a V100 2 door sedan with a Commando and 4 speed- they existed- ran F/Stock NHRA

My 65 Dart wagon will be a 1 of none with the 273/235 and 4 speed. 50 years from now some future owner will claim it’s the only wagon Chrysler made like that LOL!

HyperPak.....think it was actually south of I-20 over in Burlesson.....might have the old CL ad somewhere but I think it sold.....wasn't a runner yet and the guy was just flipping it. His family owned a mobile home lot off of I-35 W south of I-20....it was on the service road on the west side of I 35 W .

Found the 66 S fender tag - will start another thread on it.

Pishta - meet another 1965 Silver S car owner here in Dallas that has a silver with black interior and 4 speed.....he got Galen to do a research on it...almost 6 months and lots of calls he finally got the spec sheet. His car came out of Oklahoma.....

8 3/4 was a mid year change for the 4sp cars. Documented somewhere here. 7.25 was a sure grip too, and not too bad strength wise. Welcome to the NN Barracuda silver Poly club!
View attachment 1715253638

There is a club for silver poly?
Where do I join? My 66 is a factory silver poly with the red interior and red stripe. From what I’ve found out the cars were marked from the factory red striped on the fender tag but actually sprayed at the dealership BUT mine showed stripe under the gaskets front and rear glass. Pishta- were stripes also from the factory too? Mine is stamped on the fender tag red stripe.

Also I have a parts car 66 formula S with an 7-1/4” rear and 3.21 rear and sure grip factory automatic. More common than you think with the early a-bodies. Stronger because you were splitting the HP between 2 axles instead of just one.

Stripes were either dealer or factory. I asked someone once about the stripe code and the dealer prepped stripe, no answer. Thing is many 65 stripes vary slightly from the .75-6.0-.75 stripe dimension so they had to be dealer painted.

Congratulations....your in.

. From what I’ve found out the cars were marked from the factory red striped on the fender tag..
post up a fender tag pic so we can see the PAINT code, curious what the red stripe code was.

-
Back