1965 Valiant LS Build

-
All that custom work for the same HP or less than a 360. Cutting, Welding, Custom parts, Crap Chevy drive train. What a waste.
The LQ9 I’m using actually makes 345 horsepower at the crank without any modifications. I had thought about using a 360, but the Vortec is a newer design and has around 100 more horsepower than a magnum 360

Im pretty sure the Magnum 360 was the highest HP stock 360 and I don’t think they even made 300 hp at the flywheel.
Yep, the highest hp 360 I could find made 260 at the flywheel, and the engine I’m using makes 345 without any modifications. Not to mention I can easily boost it to 600+ hp without opening up the bottom end

Nice fab work! You probably are already planning it, but you should tie the torsion bar/transmission crossmember back together over the top once you get your transmission angle where you want it. A piece of flat bar over the top of the tail housing on the trans, welded to the cut ends of the original, then new floor pan spot welded to that should be enough.

:thumbsup:
I hadn’t thought too much about that yet but it’s definitely a good idea.

The LQ9 I’m using actually makes 345 horsepower at the crank without any modifications. I had thought about using a 360, but the Vortec is a newer design and has around 100 more horsepower than a magnum 360
If you can't get 360 HP out of a 360 and save all that custom, one off work, that's pretty sad. Plus the 360 will run forever at that power level. My Father had Cadilacs not impressed with the power or longevity. As far as I'm concerned, when you cheap out on the drive train, I have zero interest. Mopar always had the best drive train and suspensions. That could have been one sweet cruising car...

Who was talking stock? How much power can you put to the tires that fit in those wheel wells?
I read somewhere that 235s should fit in the rear. I think I could put down some decent power with 235s

If you can't get 360 HP out of a 360 and save all that custom, one off work, that's pretty sad. Plus the 360 will run forever at that power level. My Father had Cadilacs not impressed with the power or longevity. As far as I'm concerned, when you cheap out on the drive train, I have zero interest. Mopar always had the best drive train and suspensions. That could have been one sweet cruising car...
The custom one off work is where the fun is!

Looking nice. I seriously considered a 2.3 turbo Ford to replace the slant in my Dart. Decided to stick with what I already know and going 440, with turbos of course

Looking nice. I seriously considered a 2.3 turbo Ford to replace the slant in my Dart. Decided to stick with what I already know and going 440, with turbos of course
Thanks! The 2.3 ecoboost is a great engine. The shop I work at built a 63 Falcon wagon with a 2.3 and the trans out of a 2015 Mustang for my boss. Puts down 350 hp at the wheels and drives perfect.

There are a lot of POLITE members here.
In my opinion, the owner has the right to do whatever he wants.
I'm still stuck on the mindset that THIS ISN'T CUBA.
Doing stuff like this is completely UNNecessary in a country like this where the factory family parts are easy to find.
Doing stuff "to be different" leads to dudes putting slant sixes into Miatas, diesel engines in '70 Barracudas, etc.
To choose to put a Chevy engine in a Plymouth shows no allegiance to the Mopar family. None.
A Mopar guy doesn't do this. A guy that likes cars might. There is a distinct difference there.
I don't wish for any ill will to be cast upon you but I have zero interest in the success of the build.
Cheers.

Doing stuff like this is completely UNNecessary in a country like this where the factory family parts are easy to find.
Doing stuff "to be different" leads to dudes putting slant sixes into Miatas, diesel engines in '70 Barracudas, etc.
To choose to put a Chevy engine in a Plymouth shows no allegiance to the Mopar family. None.
A Mopar guy doesn't do this. A guy that likes cars might. There is a distinct difference there.
I don't wish for any ill will to be cast upon you but I have zero interest in the success of the build.
Cheers.
I totally understand your mindset, and you’re right. I wouldn’t call myself a “Mopar guy,” not that I dislike Mopars, I just like all sorts of cars. If I was a Mopar guy I probably wouldn’t be doing this swap. I enjoy the challenge of doing something like this, and to be honest, I think a slant six in a miata is crazy cool simply because it is so wildly different from what you see every day.

Cheers.

screw all that garbage. when mopar pays my mortgage then people can say i should be loyal to that anti enthusiast company.. until then i say put anything ya want in them.. i'd love to do an early abody with a Turbo 2JZ i. think that would be bad ***..

I totally understand your mindset, and you’re right. I wouldn’t call myself a “Mopar guy,” not that I dislike Mopars, I just like all sorts of cars. If I was a Mopar guy I probably wouldn’t be doing this swap. I enjoy the challenge of doing something like this, and to be honest, I think a slant six in a miata is crazy cool simply because it is so wildly different from what you see every day.
It's not like down the road it can be swap back if someone chooses your doing a good job, people butcher some of these cars just by swapping a mopar engine in badly or making a drag car, not like it's a rare hemi cuda or similar. It's just one less true mopar out there but better than the car sitting and rotting away.

screw all that garbage. when mopar pays my mortgage then people can say i should be loyal to that anti enthusiast company.. until then i say put anything ya want in them.. i'd love to do an early abody with a Turbo 2JZ i. think that would be bad ***..
63 valiant, 2.4 from a SRT4 neon and Jeep liberty 5 speed is one of my what if builds. The early A’s are the perfect platform for engine swaps IMO.

Cheers.
your opinion is well stated and respected. myself the only allegience i have is to the flag what its supposed to stand for. not some corporation. if people dont dare to be different then nothig moves forward. we probably wouldnt have a hobby if no one decided to pull out a flat head and drop in a v8. because they dared to be different.

It's not like down the road it can be swap back if someone chooses your doing a good job, people butcher some of these cars just by swapping a mopar engine in badly or making a drag car, not like it's a rare hemi cuda or similar. It's just one less true mopar out there but better than the car sitting and rotting away.
My exact mindset. This isn’t an incredibly rare car I’m chopping up, and if I didn’t buy it would’ve continued sitting outside with the windows down collecting rain for all eternity. I plan on keeping it for a long while and never swapping it back.

Very impressed with your work and skills, not a lot of people here will appreciate it, but it's your car and your $$, so I say do it your way. That car should be a blast to drive, get it done and on the road, then drive the hell out of it and enjoy it.

Very impressed with your work and skills, not a lot of people here will appreciate it, but it's your car and your $$, so I say do it your way. That car should be a blast to drive, get it done and on the road, then drive the hell out of it and enjoy it.
Thanks a lot! Should be a fun car once I can get all the work that’s left underway.

How are they anti enthusiasts? They sell their Gen 3 hemi’s and hellcat crate engines solely for this very purpose. They also sponsor numerous events such as Roadkill nights and Power Tour, they were even the main sponsor for Drag Week last year .

How are they anti enthusiasts? They sell their Gen 3 hemi’s and hellcat crate engines solely for this very purpose. They also sponsor numerous events such as Roadkill nights and Power Tour, they were even the main sponsor for Drag Week last year .

too little too late.

-
Back