1966 904 to a 1965 904 Transmission swap into a 65 Dart

• Thread starter Deleted member 38666
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 38666

I have a rebuilt mechanical linkage 1966 904 Transmission, and I am acquiring a cable shift 1965 904 Transmission core. I am building a 65 Dart GT Charger clone with a cable floor shift, and I would prefer to use the standard floor cable shifter that was stock in the 65. What would be a sensible recommendation for this swap.....rebuild the 65 cable shift 904 transmission and sell the 66 already rebuilt 904, swap the parts from the 66 904 into the 65 904 (if the swapping of the parts will work), or, not at the top of my preference, use the 66 rebuilt 904 in the 65 Dart with a different cable shifter (another member helped me with a plan to use a B&M shifter and some fabricated brackets). I would prefer to have the 65 cable shift transmission in the car as I am building the car partially for show so original/stock is a factor. Primarily, I just would like to know if these 66 904 parts will work in the 65 904 case? BTW, are 1965 mopar slant 6 904 parts the same as a 1965 mopar V8 904 since I also have a working /6 904. I know the bellhousing is different. I would sooner gut the /6 904 as opposed to using the parts from the rebuilt V8 904. I don't know a thing about transmissions, so, sorry if these are off the wall questions. Thank you, what would your advice be?

rebuild the 65 trans and use 65 correct parts.Sell off or keep the 66 stuff for another project.If you are going for an original clone go original .

Some of the 66 parts will fit the 65 trans, some will not.
All of the V-8 and /6 internal parts will interchange between the 65 cases. The number of clutches, may or my not be the same.
If you use the 66 trans, you will also need to change the drives shaft.
If you are not familiar with the internals of the 904, your best bet is to rebuild the 65 tf904 that fits the engine (slant or V-8, not sure whichengine your using).

Some of the 66 parts will fit the 65 trans, some will not.
All of the V-8 and /6 internal parts will interchange between the 65 cases. The number of clutches, may or my not be the same.
If you use the 66 trans, you will also need to change the drives shaft.
If you are not familiar with the internals of the 904, your best bet is to rebuild the 65 tf904 that fits the engine (slant or V-8, not sure whichengine your using).

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am building a 273 HiPo for the 65 Dart. I am buying a 65 Valiant with a 273 Commando. It is a convertible car that has a 3spd 904 cable shift. This car is where I will be getting the 65 904 core. Of course, money is always an issue, so there is where I was thinking using the 66 rebuilt 904 parts. So, I will sell the 66 904, and use the $ to build the 65 904. Then it is correct to the year and I don't have to mess with the shifting cable/mechanical linkage difference. What is a 66 rebuilt 904 with a 1800 stall convertor worth having no miles on it? I have all of the rebuild info and receipts from a very reputable transmission rebuild shop. Thanks, Old Dart 66.

If your not in a time crunch, and have mechanical ability, get the factory manual for your car (if you don't have it already) and do the trans, yourself. They actually are not hard to rebuild. This book is a good addition, also. https://play.google.com/store/books...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI7Kuaa3nNoCFcwmHwodMdoIXg
The author is on this site, also.
Hey Charlie, thanks, I have had others tell me that the 904 is quite easy to rebuild. I have the manual, and I will watch a few videos on YouTube. The transmission guy I usually work with has given me a quote which is quite reasonable. $800.00 or less depending on the parts needed. Thank you very much. Old Dart 66

Hey Charlie, thanks, I have had others tell me that the 904 is quite easy to rebuild. I have the manual, and I will watch a few videos on YouTube. The transmission guy I usually work with has given me a quote which is quite reasonable. $800.00 or less depending on the parts needed. Thank you very much. Old Dart 66
If you do it yourself, it would most likely cost less then $200

Just ordered a master kit for a late 70’s 904. $165 cdn...

Just ordered a master kit for a late 70’s 904. $165 cdn...
Hey Charlie. Thanks, I have been watching a 904 rebuild video on YouTube. I have some mechanical skills, and most all the tools. I think I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the encouragement. Best. JJ

hardest part of a C4 was the clutch pack press. Never did a 904 but its just a big stack of donuts on a stick. Well, sort of.

I'm not sure where they are, but I know I have seen pictures, online on using "normal" tools, rather then buying the special tools listed in the factory manuals. Might even be on this site. Do a search. Just make sure you get the correct kit, for the trans you are doing. The 65 down trans has parts (seals, etc) that are unique to the cable shifted trans. Even the rear seal is different between the 64 and 65 trans. If you run into a problem, or have questions, post here. Someone will be able to help.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where they are, but I know I have seen pictures, online on using "normal" tools, rather then buying the special tools listed in the factory manuals. Might even be on this site. Do a search. Just make sure you get the correct kit, for the trans you are doing. The 65 down trans has parts (seals, etc) that are unique to the cable shifted trans. Even the rear seal is different between the 64 and 65 trans. If you run into a problem, or have questions, post here. Someone will be able to help.

Thank you Charlie for the encouragement. As I watch these videos on how to rebuild the 904, and as I look at the service manual, I think I can manage this 65 904 overhaul. I have rebuilt carbs and engines (with advice and help from friends who are mechanics), so I am going to give this a try. Do you know the part # that you ordered on the 65 rebuild you did rebuild or are going to build? I see at Summit Racing that the part# is the same from 1962 to 1980 on the 904 rebuild kit; whereas your comment state that some parts are unique to the 65. Good to know information since I have gotten in trouble before with these "interchangeable" kits. I do have a 1965 Dart 225 slant 6 904 sitting on my shop bench that was just rebuilt before I bought the car, and this transmission has a shift kit in it. As I drove the car before I tore it apart, it went from gear to gear, with a very harty shift. I have read and been told that the/6 and the V8 904 have some interchangeable parts, so maybe I could use "some" of those /6 parts? Although I can handle the $200 to $300 in parts on the 904 rebuild kits, so maybe best to use all new parts. Just looking to save where I can as a person can get pretty carrird away by the time a complete car restoration is complete. Appreciate your time and help. Thanks. Old Dart 66

None of the TCI kits will work in your trans. They are for 66 up. Send me a PM and I'll give my phone number, and we can talk.

-
Back