1966 A100 with a Slant gas gussler. HELP!

-
Before you go tearing the van apart to swap transmissions, fix whatever is causing your rotten fuel economy. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread -- pay attention to your valve adjustment. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. I note you have the Holley 1920 carburetor. I've posted before about a Holley 1920 I once had on my '65 that exhibited strange behavior: The engine ran very well and had fine power, but was suspiciously easy to start and drive from cold (zero choke required, just hop in, turn the key and drive off without any stalling or gasping...even with the choke disconnected!) and the car was getting under 10 mpg. Turned out the brass seat ring that retains the power valve check ball, had fallen out of the metering block. Result was that the power valve was always WIDE open. I put the metering valve back together and restaked the seat ring, and things went back to normal (20mpg, choke and careful cold driving required).

Beyond that, check for stuff like exhaust restriction.

Once you find and squash the bug(s) spoiling your fuel economy, some upgrades might be in order. Start with the HEI upgrade .

Ya, Thanks for input I have a 904, been Eye ballin it up for a swap, which would make my drive shaft about a foot long. I guess a OD auto is even longer than a 904. Ya if I put a 4spd in I would have to climb in the back every time I had to shift, LOL.
Hang on, you can use the column shifter for four positions right?........ You'd just have to engineer something for reverse.
But that would only make your problem worse. Less gear won't help your slanty.

Last edited:
I looked into this for my '66 A100 window..
Gm 200-4R is the length of a turbo350.
It's a 4speed auto ...was even used behind grand nationals. There is an adapter available to sb mopar...I'm running a 5.9 carburetor.

Fix what you have, tune it up, mileage will improve.
When was the last time it has tuned up, it is around 50 years old.

I looked into this for my '66 A100 window..
Gm 200-4R is the length of a turbo350.
It's a 4speed auto ...was even used behind grand nationals. There is an adapter available to sb mopar...I'm running a 5.9 carburetor.
what kind of mpgs you getting?

I bought this van about 6 months ago. Had to lower it, it had a 4" lift on all 4 corners, replace fuel tank, steering was wore out, replaced all the window seals, changed rear gears( which I will change again probably ) been working on the interior, cleaning up the ragged wiring, Now I'm getting into the performance dept. I have not tuned it up, seams to run well other than fuel consumption . tune up and tweeking the holley is next, but long term I'm looking for more performance and a little more MPGs. I have a nice 360 and 727 both fresh rebuilds and 2 more slants just sitting in the garage that i would want to rebuild if I were to use one. The 360 about a 400+ horse that I built for a street car project along with the 727 that has a hemi stall. I would have to recam the 360 and get another converter not to mention every thing else I would need to do to install it in the van. (Don't think I haven't been contemplating that swap!) Guess it all comes down to $$$ spent and what I would end up with, economy , performance and reliability wise. And then still get 10 mpg. LOL wow that was long . hope I didn't bore you. This is what it looked like when I got it. Sky high and you couldn't steer it.
Screenshot_2017-08-18-11-35-23.png

Last edited:
First is to optimize ignition and carbutation along with making sure the valves are adjusted properly.

Valve adjustment is often overlooked in the /6 engines and is a serious power robber.

Not quite sure exactly of mileage but it calculates @ 8.8 - 9 and I round up a little for the gear difference. Wasn't much better with the 3.55s. RPMs where screaming on the high way@60 mph. maybe some 3.23s or 2.76. Is there a gear in between these? And another ? is did chrysler make a 4 spd OD automatic for the slant?
LOL, Dude, if You didn't change the speedo gear, both for the change in tire diameter(???) and for the change
in gear ratio, Your calculations aren't even in the ball park! 2.93's will travel You over 21% farther than what Your odometer is showing based on 3.55's, so that's at least
12 MPG to start with, then what is the dia. of those badass lookin wheels & tires compared to the stock rollers? Any taller & You have more to add to Your actual MPG.

No, there's no Mopar gear between 2.76 and 3.23 except the 2.93's You're runnin' now,...and it wouldn't change much of anything MPG-wise.............
No, the closest thing You can get factory in an auto is a Lock-up 904,..........unless You find & buy the cast-iron adapter OE to put an LA V-8 trans behind a Slanty, then
an A500 is possible,.......but the drive shaft'd be about 6 inches!!!!

BTW, driving a really cool looking barn door is still, well a barn door!! Hard to get good MPG numbers with them on the highway!!!

LOL, Dude, if You didn't change the speedo gear, both for the change in tire diameter(???) and for the change
in gear ratio, Your calculations aren't even in the ball park! 2.93's will travel You over 21% farther than what Your odometer is showing based on 3.55's, so that's at least
12 MPG to start with, then what is the dia. of those badass lookin wheels & tires compared to the stock rollers? Any taller & You have more to add to Your actual MPG.

No, there's no Mopar gear between 2.76 and 3.23 except the 2.93's You're runnin' now,...and it wouldn't change much of anything MPG-wise.............
No, the closest thing You can get factory in an auto is a Lock-up 904,..........unless You find & buy the cast-iron adapter OE to put an LA V-8 trans behind a Slanty, then
an A500 is possible,.......but the drive shaft'd be about 6 inches!!!!

BTW, driving a really cool looking barn door is still, well a barn door!! Hard to get good MPG numbers with them on the highway!!!
LOL, thanks Killer. Guess I'll start with a valve adjust and tune up, see where that gets me.

I am a member of this forum - [email protected] - even though my 69 A108 is long gone. Lots of info on swaps - engines, transmissions, disc brakes etc.
Hey Dartman after seeing your reply here, are you saying you have info about putting disc brakes on one of these old vans? ( that would be interesting to know) Is that your personal E-mail? Once I get this van all lined out this is an upgrade I would like to do, get this van to stop! I saw a show (wheeler dealers) where they put IFS on one .

Hey Dartman after seeing your reply here, are you saying you have info about putting disc brakes on one of these old vans? ( that would be interesting to know) Is that your personal E-mail? Once I get this van all lined out this is an upgrade I would like to do, get this van to stop! I saw a show (wheeler dealers) where they put IFS on one .

That address is for an online forum for people who have an interest in the A100/A108 vans/pickups. I'm still a member even though I got rid of my 69 A108 a few years ago - ya never know if another might enter my life! There have been discussions on adding disc brakes although I really haven't followed them.

Check the carb jet size first, my slant was using mega fuel discovered some idiot drilled out the jet way oversize.

-
Back