1966 Barracuda Formula S

-

BrandonG

Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone help me decipher some codes on this fender tag? It's for a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S.

For the bottom row there's a "P" under the "Z"

For the middle row, there's a "9" under the "D" and a "1" under the "E", a "1" under the "R" and an "8" under the "Z"

For the top row, there's a "4" under the "B" and a "1" under the "U"

I've also posted fender tags for 1962 & 1965 Plymouth Valiant Signet 200s as well if anyone is good at these.

Thanks again,

--Brandon

Attachments

• DSC03019.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 618
b-4 = Front Seats Option
AB-32 = 273 4-bbl V8
C-3 = 4-Speed Manual Trans.
D-9 = Disk Brakes
E-1 = Optional Package (??)
F-7 = Formula S
R-1 = AM Radio
T-7 = Tachometer (part of Formula S)
SO 201 = February 1st
Number = Shipping Order Number 00413
BDY = BP29 = Barracuda

Looks like a perfectly optioned car to me... Formula S 4-Speed with Disk Brakes!!!

This Barracuda is scheduled to go to auction at Mecum in Kissimmee, FL at 9 PM on Thursday January 27th, 2011 with no reserve. I'm also sending a 1969 Dodge Dart GTS 383/4bc with auto trans. (1 of 488 made), a 1962 Valiant Signet 200, and a 1965 Valiant Signet 200 to auction that same day. Pictures will be posted on Mecum's website after 11/22 (the date that the photographer is scheduled to take them). All cars are fully restored.

Just like my project barracuda I have. I for one would like to see pictures if you can post them. Is the car a project, restored, or a driver?

Attachments

• Formula%20S%2066%20Barracuda%20003%20(Small).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 503
b-4 = Front Seats Option
AB-32 = 273 4-bbl V8
C-3 = 4-Speed Manual Trans.
D-9 = Disk Brakes
E-1 = Optional Package (??)
F-7 = Formula S
R-1 = AM Radio
T-7 = Tachometer (part of Formula S)
SO 201 = February 1st
Number = Shipping Order Number 00413
BDY = BP29 = Barracuda

Looks like a perfectly optioned car to me... Formula S 4-Speed with Disk Brakes!!!
b4 is bucket seats; u1 means it was a sold car. E1 is the Cleaner Air Package; Z8 is buffed paint; P4H is premium red vinyl interior; AA1 is silver metalic monotone paint; and if it's an R under the T, it means it has a red upper door frame paint. The other codes listed above are correct.

Hello

Where I can get the information for 1964-1966 Barracuda codes?

Thank you for help me.

Moparrod

BrandonG...
Do you by any chance have a build sheet for this car? If so, would you be willing to post a picture of it?
Thanks.

Here is mine nearly the same build different interior color

Attachments

• Formula S 66 Barracuda 013 (Small).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 505
Where did you find your sheet at? It dont look like it lived under a seat spring.

Under drivers side seat and under carpet.

I had looked all the normal places like top of glove box, under rear seat even the passenger side under carpet I thought it was gone and I found it on the drivers side the last place I looked.

b4 is bucket seats; u1 means it was a sold car. E1 is the Cleaner Air Package; Z8 is buffed paint; P4H is premium red vinyl interior; AA1 is silver metalic monotone paint; and if it's an R under the T, it means it has a red upper door frame paint. The other codes listed above are correct.

I always use earlyvaliant.org to decode the early cars but you seem to have more detailed information than they provide. Any tips on decoding sites or information.

SWEET RIDE!!! that is the first one I have ever seen that has the "blue streak" tires....I got them for my 66 and I get ribbed about cleaning the blue off....That was the option in 66 and I think they look cool

Can anyone help decode my 67 tag? Thanks!

From http://www.jani-immonen.net/decoders/tag6768.html

CAR: Dodge Dart 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 383cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: D70x14 Red Sidewall, nylon belted
MODEL YEAR: 1967
BUILD DATE: March 14.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Premium Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Red Paint.
OTHER: Black Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
D9: Front Disk Brakes
E1: Cleaner Air Package
H1: Power Brakes
R1: AM Radio
T7: Tachometer
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y6: Black Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
j4: Moulding - Body Sill Narrow

Another nice sounding car better post up some pictures in another thread if you havent yet.

Can anyone help decode my 67 tag? Thanks!

1 of 228 automatic 383 cars (hardtops and convertibles), 229 4 speed cars built.

Whether you have the buildsheet or not, get the IBM build card from Chrysler Heritage. It gives additional info like the dealer the car was shipped to, (it looks like yours was not ordered by a customer), the actual date it was shipped, as opposed to the date the car was scheduled to be built, and any other options that did not make it to the fender tag.

L= Dodge
P= Premium
23= 2 Door Hardtop
62= 383cid 4-bbl HP V8 280 hp
5= Torqueflite Automatic
28= D70x14 Red Sidewall Nylon Special
5= Tire Quantity =5 (with spare)
314= Scheduled Production Date Tuesday March 14, 1967
26724= Shipping Order Number

A= Axle 3.23:1 Ratio
X= Axle Sure Grip
P= Trim Grade Premium
6= Bucket Vinyl (“-P” Premium Grade)
X= Black
P= Bright Red Roof Color
P= Bright Red Body Color
1= Mono Tone Paint
B= Upper Door Frame Paint Black

D9= Disc Brakes Front, Drum Brakes Rear
E1= Cleaner Air Package (California Only - Mandatory)
H1= Power Brakes
R1= Radio AM Music Master Economy 2 Watt
T7= Tachometer
X1= Glass Tinted All Windows
Y6= Vinyl Roof Black

a6= Console
b4= Bucket Seats
h7= Light Turn Indicator Hood Mounted
j4= Moulding Body Sill Narrow

I always use earlyvaliant.org to decode the early cars but you seem to have more detailed information than they provide. Any tips on decoding sites or information.
I've collected info about these cars from various sources for about 30 years now. I've owned 17 '66 Barracudas in that period (and still have 9) and have inspected over 100 others. There wasn't one source that had all the information. (some even had wrong information, including Chrysler!) It was a combination of factory listed option codes, Galen Govier research, Chrysler Corporate Historical Collection, 100's of broadcast sheets, and many written articles from dozens of magazines and books....but I'm still learning! Seems the more answers I get, the more questions I have. I'm still trying to find someone who knows something about Universal Motor Company Inc. of Honolulu, Ha. where my first (and earliest I've found) Barracuda was originally sold. I've seen one photo when it was a Ford Dealer in 1935 but nothing as a Plymouth dealer. I hope to find someone that worked there when my car arrived and maybe find the original owner. There couldn't have been all that many '66 Barracudas sold in Honolulu in 1966 I wouldn't think. I got it at auction so I don't even know the previous owner except that he must have been in the Navy. It was impounded at the base hobby shop and sold at a GSA auction on the base at North Island Naval Air Station in San Diego. It still had Hawaii plates on it. Ooops, I didn't mean to hijack the thread....that's what happens when you ask me a question!

Another nice sounding car better post up some pictures in another thread if you havent yet.

Thanks for the help on this, I tried that same site to convert it but could not get it to accept more than 1 line.

still up for sale,saw this online a while back it stated it ran from a gas can...I too lived and worked in good ol cucamonga a while back!

-
Back