1966 barracuda rear end

-

dennis morton

high winder 340
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking at a 81/4 duster rear end 4-4.5 my rear end is a 71/4 5-4 circle. any possbilities of making this swap ?

I can't imagine anyone trading a desirable 8.25 rear for a 7.25 rear that most folks can't give away. It's equivalent to trading gold for lead. Nothing is impossible though, but to give yourself a chance you should post in the "parts wanted" section.

Can it be swapped....as installed in the car? Sure. You'll need bigger U-bolts and shock plates and will need to shorten your driveshaft along with wheel change of course.

I can't imagine anyone trading a desirable 8.25 rear for a 7.25 rear that most folks can't give away. It's equivalent to trading gold for lead. Nothing is impossible though, but to give yourself a chance you should post in the "parts wanted" section.
i think you misinterpreted his post. he's swapping out a 7.25 to a 8.25; not swapping a 7.25 for a 8.25

8.25 A-body axles that were common from 1973-1976 are a great low buck swap into earlier A-bodies that don't have the 8.75 upgraded rear. You gain the more desirable 5x4.5 bolt pattern in the bargain. Unfortunately a Sure Grip is not a common find and upgrading to an LSD is expensive. Strength is fine for a street car, even a big block, but not up to sticky slicks and high shock drag race starts. Factory ratios will be mostly 3.21 or taller. I grabbed one a couple years ago for $200. Consider a solid 8.75 is $2000 anymore so that's the thing...

8.25 A-body axles that were common from 1973-1976 are a great low buck swap into earlier A-bodies that don't have the 8.75 upgraded rear. You gain the more desirable 5x4.5 bolt pattern in the bargain. Unfortunately a Sure Grip is not a common find and upgrading to an LSD is expensive. Strength is fine for a street car, even a big block, but not up to sticky slicks and high shock drag race starts. Factory ratios will be mostly 3.21 or taller. I grabbed one a couple years ago for $200. Consider a solid 8.75 is $2000 anymore so that's the thing...
Dakotas & Durangos, Sure Grips abound, just have to look for 'em. Oh, & Jeeps....

Last edited:
-
Back