1966 barracuda

-

Gene Rea

66 barracuda
Reaction score
Any info on changing steering column. I can’t seem to get the steering coupling to slide onto power steering box. is there only one way the splines will line up. Very tig quarters with the headers. Any help much appreciated.

Yes its keyed, clean both ends, grease and a helper. It does take a bit of force to get in place. Don't forget to reinstall the roll pin.

Yes its keyed, clean both ends, grease and a helper. It does take a bit of force to get in place. Don't forget to reinstall the roll pin.
Is there any way to figure out how it lines up. I see a groove or blank spline on steering box spline but I don’t see that on coupling splines

If it came apart, it'll go back together. Unless you're swapping parts around; for example, if you're trying to use a manual steering coupler on a power steering box: no go, they're two different diameter splined shafts.

Try to get the disconnected steering box centered, then the column lined up at 12'0clock wiggle and push together

If it came apart, it'll go back together. Unless you're swapping parts around; for example, if you're trying to use a manual steering coupler on a power steering box: no go, they're two different diameter splined shafts.
I’m thinking that could be the problem. Car has power steering not sure if this column was in power steering car. I have the other coupling that was on the power steering bo, looked the same will have to look in it further.

I’m thinking that could be the problem. Car has power steering not sure if this column was in power steering car. I have the other coupling that was on the power steering bo, looked the same will have to look in it further.
If that is the case, also be aware that the manual steering columns are longer than the power steering columns. Manual columns need to either be shortened to work in a power steering car, or have the column shaft swapped to the PS shaft.

Looks like they are very close to same length

image.jpg

Here's how it goes together (I pilfered some pictures from another thread):
On the coupler, there is a small V notch thst needs to align with the master spline of the steering box. I marked it in red.
1677695419894.png

BTW, make sure the roll pin next to the notch is out of the hole. Save it for later.

There is also a mark on the steering shaft, that should also be aligned with the notch in the coupler. This should be aligned when rebuilding the coupler- if it hasn't been apart, it should be okay. It can only go together correctly or 180* off. If it's off, your steering wheel will be upside down.
1677696025562.png

Once everything is aligned (oil or lightly grease the splines), slide the coupler onto the box. It may take a few taps with a hammer on the coupler collar along the way- but make SURE you're going on straight, or it'll fight you the whole way. Keep sliding it on until the hole for the roll pin lines up with the relief in the splined shaft. It may take a little finagling with a drift punch or the like to get it lined up. Then drive in your roll pin, and you should be all set.

Here's how it goes together (I pilfered some pictures from another thread):
On the coupler, there is a small V notch thst needs to align with the master spline of the steering box. I marked it in red.
View attachment 1716057591
BTW, make sure the roll pin next to the notch is out of the hole. Save it for later.

There is also a mark on the steering shaft, that should also be aligned with the notch in the coupler. This should be aligned when rebuilding the coupler- if it hasn't been apart, it should be okay. It can only go together correctly or 180* off. If it's off, your steering wheel will be upside down.
View attachment 1716057593T
Once everything is aligned (oil or lightly grease the splines), slide the coupler onto the box. It may take a few taps with a hammer on the coupler collar along the way- but make SURE you're going on straight, or it'll fight you the whole way. Keep sliding it on until the hole for the roll pin lines up with the relief in the splined shaft. It may take a little finagling with a drift punch or the like to get it lined up. Then drive in your roll pin, and you should be all set.
Thank, I will look and see if I can find that. I really appreciate your help, hopefully Ill get it back toge soon.

Thank, I will look and see if I can find that. I really appreciate your help, hopefully Ill get it back toge soon.
I haven’t got to trying to install yet, but if I line it up seems like steering wheel will be off like 90 degrees? Probably get into it a little later when it’s a little warmer.

I haven’t got to trying to install yet, but if I line it up seems like steering wheel will be off like 90 degrees? Probably get into it a little later when it’s a little warmer.
The steering box may have more than one set of keys? Move the box to center.

I don’t understand what you mean by move the box to the center? with the wheels straight, the masterspline is at 12 o’clock on the st box. With the mark on the coupling lined up the steering wheel is 90 degrees off. I think I will take the coupling off the column I removed and see if it will go on 90 degrees out so the steering wheel will be straight. Idk really no room to get in there due to header.

I don’t understand what you mean by move the box to the center? with the wheels straight, the masterspline is at 12 o’clock on the st box. With the mark on the coupling lined up the steering wheel is 90 degrees off. I think I will take the coupling off the column I removed and see if it will go on 90 degrees out so the steering wheel will be straight. Idk really no room to get in there due to header.
Was everything lined up before you made changes? Is the steering wheel on the column installed correctly? Toe alignment?

Somehow today it went together. Actually after several attempts yesterday and today it slid right on. Very tight quarters but it worked. The wires not so much, plugged it in and no horn and rear lights on when they shouldn’t be. Play with that another time. When I get a chance I’ll send a picture, you got to see the minimal clearance I was dealing with.

-
Back