1966 Dart help needed

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Im working on my 66 Dart and I have a question about the front fender where the bumber comes around the corner.
DSCN0001.JPG
DSCN0003.JPG

In the top pic you can see where there is a small area that still has primer in it. It appears in the corner. The lower pic has the exact same indentation or recess but with paint still on it. I had an old body man stop in the other day and at first he thought they were dents until I told him they were both the same. Can anyone verify on your car if you have a factory DENT or is it a smooth area? If possible can you post a pic as well?
Thanks Rod

My 66 does not have that. Smooth. GT so trim is different but, not there.

So Tim, you say there is no indentation on that corner? Mine has no marks where the bumper would have hit and they are both the exact same.
Rod

I have a straight original paint car I can look at but not sure exactly where you are referring to. Actually I have 2 cars and a spare pair of straight fenders.

Look on the back side. Is there a spot weld there?

No spot weld, i will take another pic tonight and circle the area im referring to. Also my model was a 270.
Thanks Rod

Wow, they are both the same so thats why i thought it might be factory. And also there is no mark in the metal where the bumper would have scratch the metal if it had been pushed back. And the paint was still original. And of course with it being torn apart i cant see how the bumper would fit but if it needs fixed i would like to do the repair while its on the stands since it will be easier to work on.
Valiant63, is your pic of a 270 model or GT?
Thanks Rod

Im working on my 66 Dart and I have a question about the front fender where the bumber comes around the corner.
View attachment 1715054381 View attachment 1715054382
In the top pic you can see where there is a small area that still has primer in it. It appears in the corner. The lower pic has the exact same indentation or recess but with paint still on it. I had an old body man stop in the other day andat first he thought they were dents until I told him they were both the same. Can anyone verify on your car if you have a factory DENT or is it a smooth area? If possible can you post a pic as well?
Thanks Rod
looks like a dent to me from the bumper forcing the metal up a bit.

!dent!.jpg

mine had a dent from the bumper hitting it but the other dart did not. smooth on that one
I'd put your headlight bezel on the fender and make sure the lower portion of the fender isn't bent in a bit also.
DSCF3521.JPG

Last edited:
Here are 2 additional pics of my fenders and the area I am referring to has been circled with black marker. After looking more closely at them I believe they are dented which means more body work. So I will get at it! thanks for every ones help with this.
Toolman, you had ask about a spot weld on the back side and there is none on either fender that I see. What was your thinking on that line? a previous repair or maybe something else?
Might be the wrong area to ask this question but since these are probably dents how should I attack them? Just try tapping them out from the back or use the stud gun and pull them with a 3 lb puller?
Again thanks for everyones help.
Rod
DSCN0012.JPG
DSCN0013.JPG

Here are 2 additional pics of my fenders and the area I am referring to has been circled with black marker. After looking more closely at them I believe they are dented which means more body work. So I will get at it! thanks for every ones help with this.
Toolman, you had ask about a spot weld on the back side and there is none on either fender that I see. What was your thinking on that line? a previous repair or maybe something else?
Might be the wrong area to ask this question but since these are probably dents how should I attack them? Just try tapping them out from the back or use the stud gun and pull them with a 3 lb puller?
Again thanks for everyones help.
Rod
View attachment 1715054792 View attachment 1715054794

The best way would to pull it out the way it was pushed in. I'd go into the pushed in area from the bumper hit and pull that section down which will bring up the low area with a little help from a stud gun from post #10 in the circled area. there are other ways to do this but this way will relieve stress in that area.
mine was a bit worse but pulled out exactly like that
DSCF2537.jpg
DSCF3636.JPG

Started to pull the dents with the new stud gun. I want to thank everyone for your help and pics to help set me straight on this. I will now move the information of what I will be doing to resolve these dents to my restoration thread to continue to document my build. Thanks again for all your help.
Rod

-
Back