1966 Dodge Dart Convertible disc brake conversions

-

edwardo

Reaction score
checking to see if anyone out there converted there brakes on a 1966 Dodge Dart. i want to go to a duel master cylinder and front disc brakes. I need name of companies, ect. , any information will be greatly appreciated.

This is just one example. Stainless Steel Brakes that I installed on my 64 Dart.
It can have small bolt or large bolt pattern wheels. I went with large bolt 15'' wheels.
There are many companies to choose from.

IMG_1874.jpg

Need to know a few things first.
-Do you want to stay with the stock 5x4" bolt circle wheels, or are your changing to the 5x4.5" fullsize bolt circle?
-Are you planning on staying with 14" wheels, or going with 15" or larger wheels? For what it's worth, there are no disc brakes that I know of that will work with the base model 13" wheels...
-Manual or power brakes?
-Ultimate goal for the car: Saturday ice cream cruiser up to full-boogy autocrosser?
All of this will affect which kits you may want to use.

I decided to go with 73-76 A body disc brakes on my 65. I aam using LBP all the way around

If you do want to stay 4 on 5, I like the SSBC kit A153 especially if you can't find used parts. The SSBC kit also has the option to go 5 on 4.5 if you change your mind later. It is a very complete kit and it lets you stay with 14" rallye wheels.

Need to know a few things first.
-Do you want to stay with the stock 5x4" bolt circle wheels, or are your changing to the 5x4.5" fullsize bolt circle?
-Are you planning on staying with 14" wheels, or going with 15" or larger wheels? For what it's worth, there are no disc brakes that I know of that will work with the base model 13" wheels...
-Manual or power brakes?
-Ultimate goal for the car: Saturday ice cream cruiser up to full-boogy autocrosser?
All of this will affect which kits you may want to use.
i think i want to go with a brake booster and 15 inch wheels. this car will be a street driven car .

I stayed stock with my '66, but, went with the '67 dual master cylinder and lines for extra safety.

I bought the kit the Motor Trend article suggested, small bolt pattern. You can mount the Caliper Front leading, which is the way to go.
How-to Convert a Mopar A-Body to Front Disc Brakes

To save yourself some headache. Use the existing OEM distribution block. Plug the back line @ the block, then run a new line from the Dual Master Cylinder to the control pressure valve, then out of that to the existing rear brake line attached via a coupler. Read Brake line DONE.

Front line goes from Dual Master Cylinder into the top of the OEM distribution block, using existing lines, & Bobs your Uncle! DONE.

Have Fun!! & dont forget to buy RIGHT THREAD lug nuts!!

I decided to go with 73-76 A body disc brakes on my 65. I aam using LBP all the way around
Can you tell me what your models to get the stock rotors and calipers from and what else I need I would like large bolt pattern and which rear axle should I change to. FYI I have it 1963 Dodge Dart drum bakes 13-in Wheels

65dartman pretty much said it in his response. For a factory Mopar setup, the '73-6 A-body disc brakes and an 8 1/4 rear axle assembly are a bolt-on with minor mods. You can also get the disc brakes off an '73-4 E-body too, but, you'd still need to get the '73-4 A-body upper control arms.

So what am I looking for what 73 a body had disc brakes
Disc brakes were an option on all '73-6 A-bodies. All V8 models came with them. Any that came with disc brakes would also have a rear axle with the 4 1/2" bolt pattern wheels. They could have either a 7 1/4", or, 8 1/4" rear axle however, so, you'd just have to look under the car to see which one it has. Either will work, but, the 7 1/4" one is inferior in strength.

cudamark is correct- use the upper control arms, spindles, dust shields off any 73-76 Dart or Valiant. Calipers, rotors (and their associated bearings and seals) and brake hoses can be sourced brand new from your local Autozone, Advance Auto etc (might take a day ir two to get in if iut of stock) or mail order from Rockauto and others. This will give you LBP wheels. Try to use the 8 1/4 rear end (also LBP) if possible rather than the weaker 7 1/4.

Rather than using a 73-76 rear end, I am using an A Body 8.75 axle with shortened and respiined LBP truck axles I have disc brake caliper adapters I bought from another member. Calipers and rotors are from a 94-04 Mustang. Rotors have the center register enlarged a bit to clear the axle registers. I can still use adjustable stock bearings with this setup

Thank you very much for this information I really appreciate it what is the difference in the axles or how can I tell the rear axles apart

7 1 /4 has a nine bolt, irregular shaped cover. An 8 1/4 has a 10 bolt round cover. Get the shock brackets with it when converting from a 7 1/4. The P/S pump setup would depend on which engines are involved for the pump brackets and pulleys. You would need a P/S column center shaft and coupler from a '63-6 A-body. The steering gear will bolt in fine, but, it would have the wrong sector shaft for a '63 pitman arm. You need a '72 and older A,B, and E body steering box to fit the '63-6 ,pitman arm.

I have the late model disk brakes on my 66 which includes the 7.25 BBP rear. I have a 8.75 housing but need all the guts. I have an 8.25 complete to include the SG. Im leaning toward the 8.25.

I have the late model disk brakes on my 66 which includes the 7.25 BBP rear. I have a 8.75 housing but need all the guts. I have an 8.25 complete to include the SG. Im leaning toward the 8.25.
As long as the horsepower is 350 or under and you're not drag racing, the 8 1/4 should work fine.

-
Back