1966 Dodge Dart GT - Trying to Determine How Rare

-
Hello,

I purchased a one owner 1966 dodge dart gt and trying to decide how to proceed with car. Appreciate your input on how rare it is as that will help me decided how to approach the car's future. Car has the Charger 273 4V, AT, Kelsey Hayes Front Disc brakes, upgraded heavy duty suspension with front torsion bar upgraded, anti-roll bar, and upgraded rear leaf spring count and 8 3/4" sure grip rear end.

After bringing car home, we've gone through it mechanically and have it back on road. Trying to decide how much to invest in car's paint/finish. I will include a pic or two for perspective.

Again, I suspect this is largely subjective, but wanted to ask all of you as I value your opinion. It's a bonus if any of you know of any good resources to help determine the car's rarity.

Thank you.

View attachment 1716084651

View attachment 1716084653

View attachment 1716084655
I keep going back and responding to your title. Rare? May be by the numbers depending on your perspective. Rare is not necessarily valuable. That should help you decide what you want to do with it. (and how much money you should put into it)

That is a cool car! A really cool car! And with great options.

I don’t think painting it would add much value even though it’s not really all original with the grill lights and side marker lights added. It is usually best to spend as little as possible on these early A-bodies.

If you’re looking to resell it a quick mediocre quality paint is a big turn off for me and may actually hurt the value. To do a nice high quality finish would cost more than the car will ever be worth.

I think I’d consider adding AC if I was going to drive it. That would make the car much more usable to anyone interested.

If it was me I’d spend some time enjoying this car and then decide if I want to keep it long term and then it makes sense to spend some money on it.

I’m in a similar position with an Opel Manta. I bought one that has zero rust & mechanically is great. But it has a poor repaint and the wrong seats. It’ll never be worth what it’ll cost to make it better so I just drive it

View attachment 1716084730
Wow, I had a bright Orange ‘73 Manta Rallye in the early ‘80’s. I lowered it, put in a LSD I ordered from England, a fatter front sway bar, front air dam. That car was such a blast, wish I had it back today. You can’t find a Manta anywhere anymore.

sorry for the hijack…

rare and desirable are two different things.. 66 darts just aren't very collectable. that being said the early abodies are starting to go up in price since so many are being out priced from the 67-70 market. be careful what you put in to it. it will never bring 67-70 money.
They are not collectible now, but look at the Uncle Tony crowd and 318s... and slants, and 361 B engines this time next year that 66 will be a prized collectible. LOL! but seriously, the thing with early As is finding headers etc. even my 70 dart only a certain size rim will fit under it without bending the wheel lips etc. They all nice cars its just what you can do in terms of mods etc.

If you want to keep it, make it like you want.

If you are strickly thinking about $$$$$, I say keep it as it is and sell it. If you decide it will bring more $$$ with new fresh shiney paint, then understand most every tire kicker will say BUTttt what's under the paint. Or say... I see a blem, and you paid how many $$$$$ for such?? or, YOU painted it a color I hate, makes me want to puke.

Or paint it and take it BJ since it is so rare!!!! It will be the first 66 Dart GT they sell??

No, really nice solid fun car IF such rings your chimes. It would mine.

Or just be a progressive, and cut it up for a gen 3 hemi!!

OK, so I am no help.

I saw a 69 Dart Swinger at a cruise this past Sunday, paint wasn't perfect but the guy drives it. i told the wife "if mine(paint job) turns out at least this nice I'll be ok with that..." there was a ding here and there...driving them is where its at that is the most fun of all of it.

I saw a 69 Dart Swinger at a cruise this past Sunday, paint wasn't perfect but the guy drives it. i told the wife "if mine(paint job) turns out at least this nice I'll be ok with that..." there was a ding here and there...driving them is where its at that is the most fun of all of it.
I agree!!!!! But 99% of the time the "newbie" will buy a project or a driver and say I want a SHOW car and go out and get me a trophy. Then we have the guy that spend $60,000 on a $20,000 car, years later it was perfect and such, but never drove it.. Too nice too expensive.. Then he goes out a buys a DRIVER!!!!

-
Back