1966 Plymouth Valiant Shift Linkage Help

-
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Just recently joined this Forum. I have a 1966 Plymouth Valiant V100 with the 170 and a 3 on the tree. I've owned it for 14 years now and I've recently been running into issues shifting between gears. The linkage in the column continues to get stuck, mainly trying to get back into 1st gear from anywhere. When the linkage isn't stuck it goes into gear and everything works just fine. I'm curious if anyone can point me in the right direction for a new bushing kit or tips on how to adjust the linkage or even if you don't think its the linkage and could be something else.

Thank you all for your time!
Valiant shift linkage 2.jpg
Valiant shift linkage.jpg

Sounds silly, but have you lubricated the linkage and checked the fluid level in the transmission? Also, after all these years- there is going to be a bit of play. Too much and shifting is tough.
Also, check clutch adjustment - if the input shaft is still spinning it can cause shifting issues. Many parts to consider especially with column shifted cars. Very cool set up and Welcome aboard!
Syleng1

Sounds silly, but have you lubricated the linkage and checked the fluid level in the transmission? Also, after all these years- there is going to be a bit of play. Too much and shifting is tough.
Also, check clutch adjustment - if the input shaft is still spinning it can cause shifting issues. Many parts to consider especially with column shifted cars. Very cool set up and Welcome aboard!
Syleng1
Thank you! This is a great group to be a part of. I have lubricated the linkage, I replaced the clutch less than 500 miles ago And the fluid level in trans is good. It shifted fine with the new clutch and just recently started doing this. I was assuming it’s linkage issue because that’s where it seems to be getting stuck. Maybe I’ll try a thicker grease. Do you happen to know if there is supposed to be some sort of rubber bushing where the shift handle goes into the steering column?

-
Back