1966 Sport Fury 4-Speed

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
Hi again. This is just an interesting car...

My brother just picked up a 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury 4-Speed. Manual everything (brakes and steering (a real MUSCLE car)). It has the 383 4bbl engine. The car is in decent shape for its age, no major body damage or rust (a bit of rust in the usual places on the fenders and quarters).

Anyone know just how rare this car is?

When I was young, my parents had a '66 Plymouth VIP (4-door hardtop) with the 383 2bbl. The car I (and my brother) learned to drive on. It was a nice car, but it had power steering(!).

Pretty rare I'm sure! You brother will refine his technique of keeping the car in motion while steering!

Pretty rare I'm sure! You brother will refine his technique of keeping the car in motion while steering!

Roger that!! I have to do it with my "light" 273 with fast-ratio manual steering. It is actually not much of a problem unless you are parallel parking...

Anything C-body 4 speed is rare. Tom at Rocket Restorations in Olympia has a 4 door Fury I(?) with a 4 speed.

I'm the brother with the new-to-me '66 Sport Fury (a couple months old now). I just joined A-bodies this morning (been a C-bodies member since I got the car) and this afternoon I found out from my brother that he posted about my car on this site, so I figured you folks needed some photos, even if they are of the C-barge variety (seems like these forums would wither away without photos). Without further ado, here are a few.

DSC00195.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

DSC00189.JPG

The car seems to be extremely original except for paint, upholstery (Texas heat apparently will mess that stuff up), and wheels. I tracked down the original owner of the car from the CertiCard and the trusty internet. I called and talked to him for 1/2 hour. He was in the Navy in '66 and drove his Austin Healey 3000 to the local Plymouth dealer in Tennessee and traded it in on this Sport Fury. He didn't special order the car, it was on the lot when he drove in.

The car does have a few options, namely the 383-4bbl, 4-speed, mighty 2 watt AM Transaudio radio (woohoo), and rear speaker (yes, singular). I've gotten the car back on the road with new brakes and tires, and it's a blast.

Dude, that is BAD ***! I swear I wouldn't change a thing, just drive it! Oh yeah you missed one option it has, the nifty pedal dress up option... I'm sure one of the members here can tell us the actual name of that... and probably the option code LOL. Nice score

I deciphered the fender tag and the pedal dress-up option wasn't one. I'm thinking it was a standard feature of the SF (along with console, fender-mount signals, etc), or I deciphered wrong... Or maybe it was added later?

DSC00188_annotated.JPG

Very cool car, and looks to be in nice original shape! I have owned in the past a 68 sport fury ragtop 383 4 speed and a 67 sport fury fast top 383 4 speed. I love those cars. My buddy has a 65 rag 440 auto.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 950
Nice '66! Like that it's in original unscrewed with condition, very rare. Been a C-body fan for years, have an original '67 Sport Fury rag with original 440HP & 4-speed.

Yeah now that I think about it I believe you guys are right, pedal dress up probably was part of the SF package... love the gold on that car!

I have a buddy that has a black one. Same set up. its a G R E A T car. love yours. enjoy the hell out if it.

I was drove home from the hospital in a 66 fury. in 1967
My two sisters too.
Dad keeps everything forever.
Drove the same car a couple of times in high school.
Mom made him get rid of it in 1983
Thanks you have a sweet car,

My buddy bought a 68 Fury with a 383 4 speed, bench seat, and A/C. Pretty nice shape. He specifically wanted a 4 speed with a bench seat.

It's cool to see another 383 4 speed Fury!

Hi again. This is just an interesting car...

My brother just picked up a 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury 4-Speed.

Wasn't this one was it, Spokane area?

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/4322440484.html

1966 Plymouth Sports Fury 4-speed - $5000 (Spokane Valley)

Body is very nice (no body rust) Floors appear rust free from under the car, truck has some surface rust. Rare factory 4-speed and floor tach. No rust under the hood. Very complete car. Front bucket seats need covers and carpets are faded but rest of interior is nice (including headliner and back seat. Good glass. Non-running 383/4 barrel. Comes with good running 440 though and good rear bumper.
(509) 951-xxxx Trades considered but ONLY of equal or greater valued muscle cars or Harley.

Attachments

• 00B0B_8qyAygimKLN_600x450.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 894
  • 00B0B_cytX1lRurNs_600x450.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 834
  • 00k0k_1rAvuzDcf3Z_600x450.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 861
  • 00u0u_5U6JY0NfnOy_600x450.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 855
  • 00W0W_b0yOL7Sko78_600x450.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 871
  • 00z0z_kO3A5NuSzqz_600x450.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 865
  • 01313_brwKThqYRY7_600x450.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 843
  • 01717_eo4bkiQGHQf_600x450.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 844
Thanks all for the replies.

Wasn't this one was it, Spokane area?
No, mine came from the Black Diamond area. Hmm, maybe I should get a spare car, many things look to be in better shape... Oh, and if my wife reads this - JUST KIDDING HONEY!! :)

love the gold on that car!
Neither my wife nor I are too fond of it unfortunately.

Like that it's in original unscrewed with condition, very rare.
Very cool car, and looks to be in nice original shape!
I was impressed at the originality. No wire mess hanging from under the dash, original air cleaner, etc. The paint is really quite lacking though. It's been redone by amateurs on several levels. But at least I can drive it as-is for a while until I decide what to do with the body.

Guy in town has a black Sport Fury, 383, 4-speed. I can't remember the year, but it is the same or very close. One of 99.

-
Back