1966 Sport Fury 4-Speed

-
From my recollection, there is no record of the number of 4 speed Sport Fury's. There is of the total 4 speed Fury production (like 3% or something, but my memory is fuzzy), and there is a total number of Sport Fury's, but not total for 4 speed Sport Fury's.

They are very rare, and in my opinion very cool.

My '67 rowboat- 440 4-speed, HD suspension, Budd discs, AM-FM, Dana 53:

sf2-side_zps56413a3f.jpg

Wow, you A-body folks have some nice C's too. And many of them with 4-speeds. Very nice.

My first mopar was a 1966 sport furry dark green with the 383 4-bar ,4speed,and I see you got the fender skirts also, did they all come with the mag style wheel mine had them to.

'65-66 big block, 4-speeds are rare and very desireable. Deserve a full on resto. 426 wedge 4-speed convertibles are considered classics by AACA. Love 'em

... did they all come with the mag style wheel mine had them to.
No, the mags are aftermarket. I believe all '66 SFs came with steel wheels with standard and optional hubcaps. My mags are old Superiors with "Supermag I" cast on the inside.

IMG_20140110_153324_747.jpg

Cool car!! I love how a C body makes a big block look small between the fenders.

Love these old cars,nice score...they are lots of fun to drive,my 1st car was a 64 fury 383 pushbutton auto ex-hi po car...would love to have it now...enjoy it...

My buddies 65 Sport Fury that I work on - originally a 318 auto car, we converted it to 440. The car had been off the road from 1980 until 2 years ago. Next up is a disc brake conversion, anyone have a 73 donor c body for sale?

Attachments

• rsz_finished_fury.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 417
I have owned several of the 65-66 Furys. Any 4-speed is very rare. 1965 426 4-speed seems to be the most desirable, but I think the 66 4-speed 440 cars are the most rare of hardtops. Year specific trim on both years. Most had poly motors, which Gary Povlovich proved are worthy of building.

Most 65-66 Sport Furys come standard with power brakes, power steering, v8, bucket seats, plus trim package. This is what makes them different from Furys. They came in ragtop too. Love them, rust is a big problem. Hope this helps

awesome car but I do not want to know what a c-body without power steering is like

Cool and rare car.
That thing would be great to drive on the highway, but not too good around town unless you put some skinny tires on the front.

Is there any where that has registry for the Fury's or that can decifer the VIN and the Fender Tags? I am going to buy a 440 4speed that is loaded with options and want to be able to check all the numbers.

Anything C-body 4 speed is rare. Tom at Rocket Restorations in Olympia has a 4 door Fury I(?) with a 4 speed.

He also bougt that 68 440/4 speed Dana at auction several months ago (or was that Mike? I get those two mixed up)

Is there any where that has registry for the Fury's or that can decifer the VIN and the Fender Tags? I am going to buy a 440 4speed that is loaded with options and want to be able to check all the numbers.

This site (http://www.lhmopars.com/vin66-74.htm) along with many others online has VIN decoding for the 1966 Plymouth. Any of the online sites that list fender tag decoding will work for the Fury also.

A factory 1966 440 Sport Fury (2 door) VIN should start with PP23J6, with the J indicating a 440 (G would be a 383). The 4-speed would be indicated on the fender tag as a 3 under the middle row capital-C. A 5 under the C would mean the car came with a Torqueflite.

This photo shows my Sport Fury's decoded fender tag, but it came with barely any options:
DSC00188_annotated.JPG

I have a Mopar registry and keep track of all the 4 speed Fury's I find, PM me as I would love to hear about the 440 4 speed car.

I own a 1967 Fury III 4 Door 383-4 4 Speed and my brother just bought a 440 4 speed 68 Sport Fury Convertible. Also know of a 1966 Fury III 440 4 Speed wagon, now that is rare!

This is the fender tag

Here's my attempt at decoding your fender tag:
Production date May 06, 1966
Shipping order 02109
P: PLYMOUTH Fury
P: Premium price class
23: 2 door hardtop
PP1: Bright red Mono tone paint
P4R: Red vinyl interior
82: Engine 440 4bbl 8cyl 365hp dual exhst RB
3: 4 speed manual floor shift
K8: Power windows
R1: AM Radio
T7: Tachometer
X1: Glass-tinted all windows
Y6: ?
a6: Console
b5: Rear armrests and ash tray
c6: ?
e8: Rear window defogger-blower type
f6: Speaker-reat seat
h7: Light-turn indicator hood/fender mounted
u1: Sold car/expedite

Please post photos of your new acquision when you get it. You might also join the forcbodiesonly.com website if you haven't already. They have a wealth of information on C-bodies.

I know this is an old post, but my father had a dark blue met. with black int. 383 4 speed a while back, and a guy in my town that i kinda knew, had a black with light blue color int. and a 440 4 speed, which he also sold, dont know were the cars are know, but anyway, i met a guy at carlisle a few years ago, and he had documantation that less then 5% of 383 and 440 4 speeds were produced in 66. pretty rare!

My '65 Sport Fury "Gladys",383,4 speed,tach,factory reverb,lots of patina!

Attachments

• IMG_20140528_172959_097.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 239
-
Back