1966 Valiant Signet Convertible Resto

-
Is that whats called orange peal? :)

J/K, your work looks just great.

LOL was hoping someone would catch that.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm really getting excited. :-D

If I could make better money at it I would be doing restos full time. My day job pays better though.

I may think about opening a little shop one day but the California EPA is a ***** and rents are outrageous.

Wow Dave, that looks fantastic! I need to drive my Barracuda out there and have you give it the once over. Let`s see, 3000 miles at 8 miles per gallon, that`s 375 gallons of premium gas at $3.00 per gallon........whoa..$1125.00 in gas!!! Maybe I`ll stay put...lol! Your work looks better than most professional shops I`ve seen around here. I can`t wait to see that vert completed.

Aint that the truth Dave. Thats why my dream of running my own resto shop hasn't happened yet. Get lots requests just no place to do the job. Maybe we should start one together? My day job pays better also, but I freaking hate it!!!

LOL was hoping someone would catch that.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm really getting excited. :-D

If I could make better money at it I would be doing restos full time. My day job pays better though.

I may think about opening a little shop one day but the California EPA is a ***** and rents are outrageous.

Got 2 more coats of clear down and it turned out good. I think I like spraying the clear better with the door hanging rather than laying flat. Seems I'm better able to control my gun distance from the surface. I have one spot where I had some slight orange peel and I think I was a little farther away from the panel. Only one small sag near the lower edge.

I got a some fisheyes this time though. I think I may have rushed the W&G remover. I waited about 30 minutes. Last time I waited an hour. Either that or I have some left over moisture in the line from when I was using the DA.

Here are the pics. Getting ready to do the engine bay next. Had fun pulling the motor and suspension yesterday. :D

SilverDoor001-1.jpg

SilverDoor007.jpg

SilverDoor006-1.jpg

Yesterday's Fun

SilverDoor009.jpg

After a quick little washy washy
SilverDoor013-1.jpg

Man,you might as well pull the rear and do a rotiserre now LOL!Your 3/4 of the way already with no interior,motor and K-frame out!Your doing great!

Man,you might as well pull the rear and do a rotiserre now LOL!Your 3/4 of the way already with no interior,motor and K-frame out!Your doing great!

LOL. Yep it would not take much to make a rotisserie at this point but thankfully, the rearend and the undercarriage are finished. :-D

Really nice work Dave. Will the motor fit with the headers installed? What sway bar is that & how do the lower bolts attach?

Really nice work Dave. Will the motor fit with the headers installed? What sway bar is that & how do the lower bolts attach?

Thanks. The motor will not fit with both headers on the car. If the frame rails were 1 inch wider it would not be a problem at all. It just barely scrapes the paint of the inner fenders. I leave the driver's side on because it's the hardest with the power steering and all. The passenger side is fairly easy to put in. The thing that sucks is putting the 90* oil filter back on. The bolt is a little difficult to get to and has to be clocked perfect.

The sway bar is from Addco. It fits okay but I'm not a fan of the mounting bracket. It mounts basically as you see it. 2 bolts into the front K-frame each side. Then an L-bracket behind that bolts to the underside of the k-frame. These are factory holes for the front 2 if I remember correctly. You have to drill for the lower two.

Thanks for the info! Not many sway bars for early A, just the Addco & Firm Feel. Believe the Firm Feel uses the 2 stock holes w/o the bracket but it's more $$. Your paint work is super, it's a shame your 'friend' hosed you down.

Hey Dave, nice job man, it's looking good.

Sent the convertible back to the media blaster to have the engine bay stripped to bare metal and primered in epoxy just like the rest of the body.

Got the under sides of the hood and decklid ready for basecoat. Just need to do some final wetsanding and I should be ready for base tomorrow. Then Clear on Wednesday. :) Will be awesome to finally start shooting some color.

enginebay003.jpg

Whoa..Whoa....Whoa.....There was no rust on that jig when it was here in the desert !!!!!!!!

Got some basecoat down this morning on the bottom of the decklid. Clear session tonight :cheers:

Factory color EE-1 PPG Dark Blue Poly (aka midnight metallic blue) Looks like 2 coats of does it. With the sealer coat of 20% reduced black epoxy primer the coverage was great with this paint.

basecoat003.jpg

basecoat004.jpg

basecoat005.jpg

Thanks John,

Here's the blue with 2 coats of clear. I'm in between flash times 3rd coat next. So far so good. Will know more tomorrow when it's in the sun.

basecoat_clear002.jpg

basecoat_clear004.jpg

basecoat_clear007.jpg

Nice job Dave!!! By the next Spring Fling, I hope to see that car parked next to mine!!

That paint is fantastic! The car will looking stunning! Actually it's startign to look stunning already. Keep up the great work and the great job of giving us the updates.

-
Back