1966 Valiant Signet Convertible Resto

-
Had to touch up some basecoat areas and I was slightly out of my clearcoat window so I added one more coat. Got three coats of clear on last night. Solid coverage and she looks amazing. Got pictures but did not get a chance to load them last night. Plus I wanna get pics in the sunlight while the UV rays give it a nice cure. Then it's back to wetsanding and 3 three more coats of clear. :)

Pics coming soon

Had to touch up some basecoat areas and I was slightly out of my clearcoat window so I added one more coat. Got three coats of clear on last night. Solid coverage and she looks amazing. Got pictures but did not get a chance to load them last night. Plus I wanna get pics in the sunlight while the UV rays give it a nice cure. Then it's back to wetsanding and 3 three more coats of clear. :)

Pics coming soon
Go Dave Go :cheers: pictures later :clock:
I thought I was going to see it this morning, You ol teas :toothy10:
Congrat's :cheers: I bet you can't wait to let us see :-D:-D:-D
The seem work you did will be there for ever and never crack, Great job and I bet it look so good in person. Can't wait to see =P~=P~=P~

Got her out in the sun today and it looks pretty good. I'm a little disappointed because I got much more orange peel than I'm used to seeing. This is the first time I've had it this bad. It's not horrible. Was just expecting better is all. Good thing is the dust nibs and OP will get sanded flat and 3 more coats will go on next week. The metallic laid out awesome too. :love7: this color.

shellcleared001.jpg

shellcleared002.jpg

shellcleared003.jpg

shellcleared004.jpg

shellcleared005.jpg

WOW look at the shine on that puppy like water GREAT JOB

It,s looking great Dave,nice reflection!I have a question about your springs(which look new)are they the XHD,s?I,m asking because your car is sitting higher than normal(I know you have nothing in it)no interior,motor or tranny,K frame.Does it sit higher with the new springs?I just picked mine up(right one was on backorder for 7 weeks)Is the right one stiffer?or is that just the SS springs?Keep up the outstanding job you are doing!! I can,t wait to see the finished product.

It,s looking great Dave,nice reflection!I have a question about your springs(which look new)are they the XHD,s?I,m asking because your car is sitting higher than normal(I know you have nothing in it)no interior,motor or tranny,K frame.Does it sit higher with the new springs?I just picked mine up(right one was on backorder for 7 weeks)Is the right one stiffer?or is that just the SS springs?Keep up the outstanding job you are doing!! I can,t wait to see the finished product.

Yes new. They are the same as the 340 springs and yes it does sit higher. Hoping it drops some. The right side sticks up maybe 1/2" more. I think it is more with SS springs.

DAVE its looking great,,and its on the car not the garage floor,,,,so what book or source did you read to get your info from ?

DAVE its looking great,,and its on the car not the garage floor,,,,so what book or source did you read to get your info from ?

Thanks Don,

Book or source for painting? Most of my information was from these web forums

Paint and body tech articles and Q&A forum
autobody101.com
autobodystore.com

I used SPI for my primers and clearcoat. Awesome customer service and excellent products. Best in the biz IMO.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/homepage.htm
http://spi.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=spi

Got the doors and fenders finished up in basecoat today. Clear in the morning Will post pictures tomorrow. This paint thing is finally coming together. :cheers:

Fenders and doors got their first coats of clear. Flowcoat next week when my new supply of clear comes in. Went through a gallon of clear pretty quick. Good thing it's very high solids clear. All that's left is the top of the hood and deck lid and a few minor pieces. Woohoo :cheers:

Results I can live with since I'm flowcoating it.

doorsfenderscleared005.jpg

doorsfenderscleared006.jpg

doorsfenderscleared004.jpg

doorsfenderscleared010.jpg

doorsfenderscleared001.jpg

water spots are on camera lens
doorsfenderscleared007.jpg

WOW - that looks really really great!
I'd love to see that color in person.
I know it's been a long process but it's good to see the progress - thanks for keeping us informed.
Rich

Sick....just sick....once you cut/buff, it will be a mirror. Great job Dave.

Thanks John, Steve and Rich your comments keep me motivated

Sick....just sick....once you cut/buff, it will be a mirror. Great job Dave.

Another 100+ hours of wetsanding, reclearing, wetsanding, more wetsanding and 4 stage buffing job and I will be at the fling barring any natural disasters, tsunamis, or idiot moves on my part. :)

The color and smooth lines looks sooo fine =D>
I hope you are enjoying this great build Dave :cheers:=P~=P~
I am from here =P~ Thank you for keeping this build going :read2:
One step at a time 8) Very smoooooth :glasses8: :rock:

DAVE looks amazing,,cant wait to se it all back together,,,, dumb question what is the flow coat,,? is it the brand name of the clear ??

A flowcoat is basically where you block the clearcoat with 400-800 grit wet to remove/flatten any orange peel, urethane wave, dirt, dust, trash from the clear. Then you spray 2-3 more coats of clear over the top of the wetsanded clear. This will give you that super high gloss that you see on show cars. The courser grit (400 wet) will give you a higher amount of gloss. This also gives you a durable paint job that you can cut and buff while not worrying as much about too little film thickness. This is also know as a 3 stage paint job that is reserved mostly for show cars. Hope this helps.

-
Back