1966 Valiant Signet Convertible Resto

-
he's the doctor of paint,,,

DAVE thanks,,,did you wet sand the base before the first coat of clear ??

It will show through the clear in any of the areas you've wetsanded a metallic basecoat before the first coat of clear. I did three coats of basecoat. After the 1st and 2nd coats I did some very very minor wetsanding to remove any larger dust nibs. Tack clean then apply last coat of base. After the 3rd coat of base I didn't touch a thing because you don't want to disturb the metallic flake. I didn't get any dirt at all, just little dust/lint nibs. The little dust nibs get buried under the clear and you'll never see them. Hope that helps.

She's looking great Dave, can't wait to see her at the Spring Fling next year. Maybe I'll let you paint my replacement duster..lol j/k. Give me a call when you have a free moment, Russell

Dave, What an awesome thread, and a lot of excellent work! This is the longest thread I've ever read! (and one of the best)
Good luck on the finished project!

Thanks for all the great comments. I can't wait to show off the final product of this long labor of love. I will always have to the pride of doing it all myself and nobody can take that away. :toothy10:

Got the doors and fenders wetsanded and they are ready for their next session of clearcoat. Hope to get that done this weekend. Then I'll do the shell. Final part is the top of the decklid and hood. The the slow process of reassembly, cut & buffing and polishing. Light at the end of the tunnel. :cheers:

Well almost. I finished the hood and the trunk lid tonight. Got three coats of clear on and it's looking pretty good. Not the greatest night to be painting since we had some stormy weather (windy and cold) here but I had no choice since I had to get the clear on before my re-coat window closed. I could have waited for better weather and rebased but I'm running out of paint. I have about a quart left over. The very last piece I need to paint is the center grill piece.

The hard part is finally over and it is such a relief. :wav:

Just need to sanded everything down and spray 3 more coats of clear and then I can start the cutting and buffing process. :wav:

I just gotta say thanks for everyone's support over the last few years. It's been a long tedious road but it's paid off.

I hope to have her put back together by March. That way I'll have plenty of time to get ready for the upcoming car show season.

HOOD
base_clearhoodanddecklid006.jpg

base_clearhoodanddecklid005.jpg

base_clearhoodanddecklid008.jpg

DECK LID

base_clearhoodanddecklid012.jpg

Kind of a trippy picture seeing the plastic ceiling in the reflection
base_clearhoodanddecklid014.jpg

Outstanding! It's just fantastic what you've done especially considering all that you've gone thru to get here - well done!

Good job Dave.....Now are you gonna be ready for the Fling?.....I sure hope so.

Dave, AWESOME job, also amazing, sweet, great, sexy, dope, rad, hot, sick, fantastic, nice, soooo good, wicked, tight, too fun, crazy, badass, super, the best, beautiful, epic, stellar, excellent, wonderful, incredible, pimp, perfect, the ****, smart, cute, sassy, rocking, chill, gnarly, neat, fly, fabulous, insane, kickass, brilliant, marvelous, stupendous, OMG, and ......dude! NICE WORK!!!!!

Dave, AWESOME job, also amazing, sweet, great, sexy, dope, rad, hot, sick, fantastic, nice, soooo good, wicked, tight, too fun, crazy, badass, super, the best, beautiful, epic, stellar, excellent, wonderful, incredible, pimp, perfect, the ****, smart, cute, sassy, rocking, chill, gnarly, neat, fly, fabulous, insane, kickass, brilliant, marvelous, stupendous, OMG, and ......dude! NICE WORK!!!!!

Wow John Thank you.

Good job Dave.....Now are you gonna be ready for the Fling?.....I sure hope so.

Yep Steve I will have her done before the Spring Fling for sure. That is my goal. The one thing that will take some time will be the convertible top. I gotta find a really good shop that I can trust. She'll be getting a medium/dark blue canvas convertible top instead of the vinyl. That will probably be the last thing that gets done on the car. Should really set it off.

Once again, thanks for the complements guys. Your encouragement has really helped. After the holidays I have plenty of work ahead but it feels great getting this far.

Looking Good Dave, you really got the clear to lay down flat. You will have verry little color sanding to do.

Looking Good Dave, you really got the clear to lay down flat. You will have verry little color sanding to do.

Thanks Tincup, it really flowed out nicely. The cooler temps probably helped some. Glad I allowed extra flash time between coats too.

Here are a few pictures in the sun before I blocked out the hood and trunk lid today with 400 grit wet. Will sit in the sun for a day or two to gas off then it will get 3 more coats of clear. If it lays down this nice again I'll start my cutting at 800 and work my way up to 3000 by hand. Some will say start with 1000 or 1500 but I want to cut the clear FLAT, then progress up to 3000. This way my buffing will be much less work.

base_clearhoodanddecklid016.jpg

base_clearhoodanddecklid018.jpg

base_clearhoodanddecklid019.jpg

Looks phenomenal, Dave! I hope to see it in person someday. Dunno if I'll be coming down for Spring Fling 2010 or not.

It's come a long way since the giant sheets of peeling paint!

O.K Dave,breaks over back to work!LOL:bootysha:Looking forward to seeing more progress.Spring is coming upon us!8):-D

O.K Dave,breaks over back to work!LOL:bootysha:Looking forward to seeing more progress.Spring is coming upon us!8):-D

Yeah I have not touched the car for 2 months now. Everything has been painted and cleared. I've block wetsanded everything down with 400grit and all I need to do now is lay down three more coats of clear.

Been waiting for the weather to improve (rain & cold) and get time away from other winter activities (snowboarding & surfing). I have an April 18th deadline to have it at least put together and driveable for the Spring Fling in Van Nuys.

Went by the custom upolstery shop yesterday and ordered my new color matched canvas convertible top. My top is being done by the guy that does Steve Strope's Pure Vision projects, and Chip's Overhaulin. Incredible craftmanship!!!!

ThorsenCustom

headline.jpg

Check out the right hand drive Charger they did in HotRod Mag. Very Cool. http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0907_1969_dodge_charger/index.html

Wow Dave, that is one sharp A-body interior. That guy`s got some mad skills. I can`t wait to see your car all back together with it`s new hat on.

-
Back