1966 Valiant Signet Convertible Resto

-
she sure is going to be purty....nice job Dave!

Keep up the good work. Aloha!

OK guys got some work done today. Laid down three more coats of SPI Universal Clear on the trunk and hood. The hood look bitchin. One of my Halogen lights went dead on me so my lighting sucked while painting the decklid top side. So, I got a few hangers on the trunk since I had it hanging so I could also paint the underside. I wish I had the decklid laying flat but oh well. Guess I'll be spending some time shaving and sanding out the runs I got.

Similar pictures as before but I can see a difference in the sharpness and the higher gloss level with the flowcoat of clear. Hope to get the doors and fenders flowcoated by next week. Then the body next weekend. Until next time

P1010788.jpg

P1010789.jpg

THE UGLY CURTAINS!!!!! :angry7: LOL. Will get another light next time and speed my passes up a bit.

P1010791.jpg

Should not be too bad. I sprayed a little extra clear where the runs where and I'll cut them down with a razor blade tomorrow and hit it with some 400grit and reclear if necessary.

man this site (your thread and other build threads) are getting me more and more excited to start my restoration. one day ill have a thread documenting my work on my cuda. Thanks for giving me the desire to really start working on my own restoration

Well I've been very busy on the car lately. Been colorsanding my fingers to the bone trying to get this thing ready for assembly and buffing. I had a couple of mishaps that I had to fix but I was able to blend them perfectly. Thank goodness this metallic is not too hard to blend. It was great experience learning how to blend the basecoat.

Here are a few pics of the progress. I know it's not much but this is very time consuming and very deliberate sanding. I'm trying to get it as perfect as I can with no urethane wave which is very hard to fight since I have a very high solids clear and 6 coats of clear on board. It's getting there. Just hope I can at least get her put together and drivable with a couple passes with the buffer before the Spring Fling. After the show I'll go to town with the buffer.

Love a sunny day and sanding in sunny Socal

P1010807.jpg

These are the results after wetsanding with 800 all the way to 3000 and a couple of passes with the wool cutting pad. I pretty happy so far. Can't wait to see the final polish. :-D

P1010810.jpg

P1010811.jpg

Got a little bit of urethane wave in this view near the body line. Will knock that back down with some 800 and re-work it.

P1010809.jpg

Grill center piece turned out nice
P1010806.jpg

These will be attacked this weekend. :toothy10:
P1010798.jpg

Will have the doors and fenders mounted the next time I post pics. I need to rest my back and shoulders and have a beer. :cheers:

Man you been busy,keep up the great job.Looking forward to seeing it assembled again.Class work your doing.=P~

Ah.....Hello....Remember this car ? Times ticking. :clock: lol

Just busting yer balls !

That paint is looking SICK !!!!!! Almost toooo Chinney !! 8)

Lookin Good Dave !!!!

Hart Basketball 016.jpg

Ah.....Hello....Remember this car ? Times ticking. :clock: lol

Just busting yer balls !

That paint is looking SICK !!!!!! Almost toooo Chinney !! 8)

Lookin Good Dave !!!!

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's really starting to come together.:-D

Yes I remember. LOL. I'll get to it soon enough I guess. All this damn rain lately and cool temps. It'll happen bro. We'll get rid of that Chevy engine bay. "ball bustin" ya

I made out a list that filled 2 pages of the stuff that needs to get done. I'm really feeling the crunch to get this car assembled before the Fling. NOt much time left. 6 weeks. Like I said if I can just get it assembled and drivable I'll be happy.

DAVE, since it will be ready for your west coast spring fling,,,i will save you a parking spot at CHRYSLERS @ CARLISLE event in july,,and ill pay your entry fee,,start packing

WOW!6 weeks to assemble.Hope you have some time off work booked?Also stock up on beer for friends over to help.Good Luck!You can cruise with just the drivers seat in.LOL:clock::cheers:

DAVE, since it will be ready for your west coast spring fling,,,i will save you a parking spot at CHRYSLERS @ CARLISLE event in july,,and ill pay your entry fee,,start packing

That would be awesome! That would be a very long haul. Good thing it's got a 5-speed with .63 OD and 3.91s. Otherwise it would seriously break the bank in gas. :-D

WOW!6 weeks to assemble.Hope you have some time off work booked?Also stock up on beer for friends over to help.Good Luck!You can cruise with just the drivers seat in.LOL:clock::cheers:

I may be missing a few things when it hits the fling but it should be presentable. I want to get a few pieces fully buffed and polished so people will be able to see the level I'm trying to reach. It's going to be tough but I will be pulling some all-nighters. Hopefully, Johnny Dart will be helping out some. Good thing is all the interior, motor is finished. Just assembly.

Move to South Dakota ?
For some reason I dont think thats gonna happen...8)

Hart Basketball 029.jpg

Well I've been tied up lately with other things lately (lil' sis came out to Cali for her Spring Break) but finally got the doors completely polished and ready to be mounted. I have really underestimated how much time it really takes to cut all the panels flat. On top of that the buffing time to get every microscopic scratch out of the paint. Then bringing it up to a super high gloss. I think each door has about 8 hours into just the cut and buff. Well the results are pretty F'n incredible IMHO. Especially considering this is my first rodeo. Very cautious with the rotary. I'm very happy so far.

For those expecting to see the car at the Spring Fling in Van Nuys you'll have to wait til next year or some of the later car shows during the summer. no way I'm going to rush things just to show an incomplete project. Did that once already. It will be finished the next time it makes it to a show. Summer cruising is the goal. Not too far away :cheers:

Here are a few pics of one of the doors I finished last night. No sunlight pics yet. Will get those up soon.

Meg105 ultra cut on a wool pad. Just a few holograms showing.
P1010831.jpg

P1010837.jpg

P1010844.jpg

P1010849.jpg

P1010851.jpg

P1010853.jpg

P1010858.jpg

P1010859.jpg

P1010860.jpg

dave,, its going to be the most perfect 66 vert on the planet,, shame ur not making the fling again,,,,,but you ned to write a book on body,blocking ,and paint my friend,,,and take a copy to the first knuckle head you took the car too,,,cant wait to see it done,,,drive it to carlisle ill pay your entrance fee,,

Wow, Dave. I'm speechless. Well almost. I honestly can't remember when I've seen paint look that good. Incredible. Can't wait to see it in person someday.

Here is one of the Fenders I finished buffing today. Same process as before but things are going a little faster as I refine my technique and get more comfortable with the Makita rotary.

Fender sanded down to 3000
P1010866.jpg

P1010869.jpg

After swiping with the Meg105
P1010874.jpg

Pictures in the sun. :love7: Of course the 14 year old goldie had to inspect as well.
P1010875.jpg

P1010877.jpg

P1010878.jpg

P1010880.jpg

P1010881.jpg

P1010882.jpg

P1010885.jpg

Next up will be the Decklid which needs a little more sanding to get totally flat like the doors. :cheers:

-
Back