1967 915 heads any good?

-

jwatkins

Reaction score
i HAVE A SET OF 915 BIGBLOCK HEADS ON MY 383 AND I WAS TOLD THEY WERE CLOSED CHAMBER AND ARE GOOD TO RAISE COMPRESSION ARE THEY A GOOD HEAD FOR MY MOTOR ? OR DO I SPEND THE MONEY ON ALUMINUM HEADS OR ? i HAVE A PURPLE SHAFT CAM BUT I DONT NO OF THE DURATION AND A 1968 HP BLOCK .

My understanding is that they are simply closed chamber heads that had the large exhaust valve...and that's about it.

"Back in the day" before scads of aftermarket "big heads" were available, those were THE heads to find, unless you could score a set of the elusive max heads

(In my opinion, there are WAY too many people showing claiming to have "max" heads. There could not possibly be all that many that survived)

"Back in the day" before scads of aftermarket "big heads" were available, those were THE heads to find, unless you could score a set of the elusive max heads

(In my opinion, there are WAY too many people showing claiming to have "max" heads. There could not possibly be all that many that survived)

What are max heads?max wedge?or the magnum heads on 440 magnums that are non existent because they are the same as any other b/rb head.

I have 915 heads on my car. Wanting to learn more about them I found this info at Mopar Muscle Magazine.

Factory Castings

Since the 1967-78 heads are the most readily available, and the most commonly used in street performance applications, we will limit our discussion to these heads. The year 1967 was significant for Mopar big-block heads with the introduction of the 915 casting, identified by the last three digits of the casting number. The 915 was a performance-minded redesign of the big-block head, featuring revised ports while retaining the closed-chamber configuration (typical factory chamber volume of 78.5 cc) of the earlier 1964-66 big-block heads. The 915 casting was found only on the 440ci big-blocks, as the 1967 383 engine retained the 516 castings of the previous year. In standard form, the 915 was fitted with 2.08-inch intake valves, and the same small 1.60-inch exhaust valves found in the older 516 heads. The year 1967 also was when the 440 Magnum engine was introduced. In step with the performance requirements of the Magnum, the engine’s exhaust valve size was increased to 1.74 inches, a size used successfully in some earlier high-performance packages.

Over the years, confusion and mythology arose around the 915 casting, and it mistakenly became known as the 1967 440 Magnum head. This same head was also found on all 440s in 1967--from your old man’s 440 New Yorker to the boss’s 440 Imperial. The only difference was the smaller exhaust valve in the non-Magnum engines. A throat cut and the bigger exhaust valve evened the score. For 1968, the big-block cylinder head was modified again. The new 906 head was identical in port configuration to the previous year’s 915. However, the 906 was cast with open combustion chambers (typical factory volume 88 cc). Also, the smaller 1.60-inch exhaust valve, which had been fitted in standard engines, was discontinued. The 1.74-inch exhaust valve now was used in all B/RB heads. Despite the popular misconception that the 906 head was exclusive to the 440 Magnum and the new-for-1968 383 Magnum, it was actually used across the board, with the same valve sizes in all big-block engines for 1968. From the 383 two-barrel to the 440 Magnum, the heads were unchanged. Some of this confusion can be attributed to Chrysler’s advertising of the day, in which the 383 Magnum was heralded as "coming with the 440 Magnum’s free-breathing cylinder heads." What the mavens on Madison Avenue weren’t telling was that the standard 440, the 383 2V, and all passenger car big-blocks had the same 906 heads with the same valves--although the Hi-Po Magnums came with stiffer valve springs fitted. With the exception of some industrial, heavy truck, and motorhome application castings, this one-head-fits-all philosophy was carried through the end of big-block production in 1978.

Read more: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/5115_cylinder_heads/index.html#ixzz1r857gZdn

Lemme see if I have this correct. The 915 is a good head to have because it has closed chambers and the same ports as the 906?

Those are the same ports that are 40+ years old with the worn out guides and flow 30 cfm less than the out of the box Stealth and 50 cfm less than the out of the box Edelbrock Performer RPM. They have smaller worn out valves, 2.08/1.60 or 1.74 as compared the 2.14/181 stainless steel valves in the aluminum heads and they weigh 20# more each than the aluminum heads with the closed chambers like the 915.

Oh, thanks jk, and because they aren't 516's that flow even less than the 915's.

If you really think they have the same ports, try to port them and get the same flow you can from the 906. All to often we pass on what we read or hear from someone else wihtout having verified it ourselves.

Maybe they are good heads to have because you can sell them to someone who believes they are good heads to have and you can take the money and apply it to set of aluminum heads.

Oh, thanks jk, and because they aren't 516's that flow even less than the 915's.

If you really think they have the same ports, try to port them and get the same flow you can from the 906. All to often we pass on what we read or hear from someone else wihtout having verified it ourselves.

Yep

I think it really depends on what the OP is expecting and it sounds like he has the 915's already. Not everyone wants ported heads or alumn heads. \. If you are have the heads already. Wouldn't hurt anything to freshen them up a bit. And yes they do offer a bit more compression then an open chambered head. Also the STOCK BB mopar heads flow close to the same in stock form there OK.

I think it really depends on what the OP is expecting and it sounds like he has the 915's already. Not everyone wants ported heads or alumn heads. \. If you are have the heads already. Wouldn't hurt anything to freshen them up a bit. And yes they do offer a bit more compression then an open chambered head. Also the STOCK BB mopar heads flow close to the same in stock form there OK.

I have bone stock 1967 set for sale if anyone needs them!--------------------------bob

Good reasoning, I agree.

Yes, they are decent heads. If you have a mild engine now, they will add some compression at minimum, maybe add some flow depending on what else you have. In the past (prior to the cheaper aluminum designs) we used them a lot. In "stage 2" configuration (not maxed out) they'd make over 500hp with a mild solid cam (MP .528 ) on pump gas.
But like IQ is hinting at... now it's cheaper to get a better head if you are starting from scratch.

They are a good head because...well, because you already have them. Of course any new aluminum head has more this and better that, but they come at a cost!! Also, IMO you can't just pull out the wallet and get some new aluminum heads and slap them on a mild/older rebuild or stock motor without proper prior planning. If you are going through your motor and rebuilding with more HP in mind then yes, by all means order some fresh heads and have them configured to your intended combo, but don't just jump on some new aluminum heads if the performance of the 915 is all you need!!! JMO, Geof

Actually they flow like a stopped up toilet. Send them to me along with 100 bucks for the trouble of taking them off your hands.

after reading some of the posts here i've come to realize some of you are just too full of yourselves. what a fricking shame you can't just answer the op's question with out all the bs drama.

I appreciate all the input i get from the members of fabo and you truly help with all the comments good or bad.The questions i have asked have been always answered and i get a good laugh as well from some.I will use the heads i have and get them cleaned up rather than the aluminum because of economics.I was told the 915's are decent and i wanted your input.

I have them on my 440. It's a stock 70"s bottom end with headers, purple shaft hemi grind cam, headers, holley steet dominator and 750 vacuum secondary. I bought my heads from a guy who was putting indy's on his engine and gave me a sweet deal. For 800 bucks I got a set of fresh redone 915's with brand new valve spings, with oversized ss milodon valves (214 - 181) installed and mild ported. For my budget these are about the best I could have gotten. Sure if I had loads of money I'd buy better, but this set of heads work real well. With the compression boost and pretty good flow with larger valves and a street car I think they are perfect set of heads for us budget folk. I have not run my car at the strip yet but it hauls *** on the street. Right now up on stands gettin rear spring locate, tub and 4.10 spool.

after reading some of the posts here i've come to realize some of you are just too full of yourselves. what a fricking shame you can't just answer the op's question with out all the bs drama.

I didn't seen any drama. I saw humor. What a shame you don't have any. Too bad you'll die a dried up bitter old geezer with no friends because you were always too serious. Oh wait, you're already a bitter old geezer.

Bob I do have to agree with you. Sometimes people post questions and everything but what they asked gets answered. Or question why. Instead of asking the OP what his intentions were it went from iron heads to Alumn and porting.

The #915 head was a one year only head 1967 , only available on 440,s the 67 Plymouth GTX, and the 67 Dodge Coronet R/T.

-
Back