1967 Barracuda steering column reassemble help needed.

-

Dmopower

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am restoring a manual steering column for my barracuda. under the turn signal plate are 2 screws that appear to go to 2 square nuts under the first plate. But they do not appear to hold anything together. And upon reassemble the first collar has a little play. Can anyone tell me what, if I'm missing anything?

Two squared head screws- are mounted in the collar very loosely, nut side up. Look at your tube and you will see two square holes at the top. The square headed screws will grab these square holes and will tighten your collar as you tighten those two nuts.

Two squared head screws- are mounted in the collar very loosely, nut side up. Look at your tube and you will see two square holes at the top. The square headed screws will grab these square holes and will tighten your collar as you tighten those two nuts.
Is the collar the 3rd tube inside the other two? I have the old one out. I'm going to put the new steering gear box in then take the old column apart to check my work.

Thank you for the help.

The square headed bolt hooks the steel tube with the pot metal collar that holds the turn signal switch. The other collar is for the shifter on a column shift, or a fixed collar on a floor shift.

Hardware in the early column was opposite in design from later models. Screws with Phillips heads show from the top. Rectangular shape nuts beneath are captured in the casting and catch notches formed in the tube to draw parts together.

I want to thank everyone for the help and tips. I had it wrong and was able to get it secured in the tube. When you get it right the screws begin to tighten pretty quickly with the nut at the end of the screw. Thanks again guys!!!!!

-
Back