1967 Cuda FB project

-
SNKEBIT,
I Sure as Hell don't want your third member:D...LOL that's funny man I always stick my foot in my mouth...Well if you ever want to part with an 8 3/4 member let me know. :glasses7::cheers:

SNKEBIT,
I Sure as Hell don't want your third member:D...LOL that's funny man I always stick my foot in my mouth...Well if you ever want to part with an 8 3/4 member let me know. :glasses7::cheers:

I know what you meant. Just giving ya crap!!!!! lol:D

SNKEBIT,

Oh my!! Lmao

Got some welding done this morning on the Cuda. Finished welding the bottom portion of the "new" bumper support.
View attachment WP_20150905_001.jpg
Welded up the hole for the antenna. Will use a hidden one somewhere in the rear of the car.
Welded up the fender holes for the nameplate and barracuda emblem. I am thinking I will paint these on the car in black and clear over them so it's a smooth finish. Same idea for the Plymouth lettering on the nose piece.
Grabbed a Neon door to pirate the door handle out of for the drivers door.
Now on to making the handle fit in the Cuda door!!!

Attachments

• WP_20150905_018.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 339
  • WP_20150905_017.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 328
  • WP_20150905_016.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 333
  • WP_20150905_012.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 318
  • WP_20150905_007.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 299
  • WP_20150905_003.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 313
Got back to the door this afternoon. Traced out the neon handle opening on the Cuda door and cut it out 1/2" smaller than the neon piece. Deburred around the opening so the new handle opening would fit as flush as possible. Took a flanging tool and made a flange around the insert piece.
View attachment WP_20150905_023.jpg

View attachment WP_20150905_025.jpg

View attachment WP_20150905_027.jpg

View attachment WP_20150905_030.jpg
Welded it in and ground down the welds. I didn't grind them flush because sometimes one takes off too much material and it gets thin. Both doors were kind of beat up in this are from opening and closing the doors for 45 years so they were pretty wavy already.
View attachment WP_20150905_033.jpg
I also welded up the top door trim holes and ground them flush.
View attachment WP_20150905_031.jpg

View attachment WP_20150905_034.jpg
Close up of how the neon handle mounts inside the door. I took the stock neon actuator rod and shortened it and gave it a bend to reach the Cuda latch assy. The Cuda latch assy had a ball stud on the opening lever. I ground the back of it off where the stud was peened into the lever hole and pulled out the stud. Then I drilled the hole the same size as the neon plastic rod holders. Snapped in a rod clip from the neon and presto, door handle assy works!!
View attachment WP_20150905_036.jpg
Even made the neon lock handle work in the Cuda door. Just took a die grinder and made the hole oblong. Thought about not putting any kind of lock handle there but decided in case of accident or something I could still actuate the locks by hand.
View attachment WP_20150905_037.jpg

Anybody have a vector/eps format for the Barracuda script or the fish? Would like to find the 'cuda script too.
THX!!!!!:cheers:

I usually have to go to the bathroom before checking your thread. Otherwise I'd pee myself with anticipation of what you're doing next. - Looks GOOD!

Blasted some stuff today in this nasty heat and humidity. :protest: Did the support portion of the new bumper so it had a good profile for the sealer and foam to stick to. I will sand off the little bit of paint still on the side panels. It was too hot inside the blast helmet, I had to tap out. Also did the window sections of the roof I removed from the terminally ill blue barracuda, RIP. :D I will get pics of that later today.
View attachment WP_20150906_004.jpg

View attachment WP_20150906_002.jpg

View attachment WP_20150906_001.jpg

View attachment WP_20150906_003.jpg

Blasted some stuff today in this nasty heat and humidity. :protest: Did the support portion of the new bumper so it had a good profile for the sealer and foam to stick to. I will sand off the little bit of paint still on the side panels. It was too hot inside the blast helmet, I had to tap out. Also did the window sections of the roof I removed from the terminally ill blue barracuda, RIP. :D I will get pics of that later today.
View attachment 1714841500

View attachment 1714841501

View attachment 1714841502

View attachment 1714841503

Lookin sweeeet! :glasses7:
Great amount of progress. :burnout:

Couple pics of the cut off top with the blasted window areas. Didn't get much more done today as spent the rest of the day jockeying cars around in the storage barn, cleaning up and throwing out stuff that's been shuffled around too many years. It was good to clean out a bunch of that junk.
View attachment WP_20150906_006.jpg

View attachment WP_20150906_005.jpg

Will try and cut up the blue top in the morning. Really trying to talk myself out of a mild chop top. Just don't want to do that much work! But it would look soooo much sleeker. I want to move forward, not backward. LOL

Are you still planning on having the windshield and back glass install similar to new cars? I've never thought it out when by my car but what all will it entail? Will the window channel have to be built out to make the glass flush with the sheet metal? Will the openings have to be shrunk to eliminate the large gaps? Will there be enough holding force on the back glass to keep it from popping out? I like the concept but I've never seen the blow by blow explanation of what all is involved.

Rad Rides by Troy lowered the lid on a fastback build that was set up for the salt several
years ago.
I remember seeing some progress pictures where the roof was cut in the lower sails and front lower pillars and hinged down/forward. Ended up with a beautiful roof line and of course:eek:ops:
they made it look easy.
Converting the car to a flush mount glass will be a big job in itself. I believe more so than
the chop. It may be surprising how different the shape of the glass is to the opening.
Your modern glass sealing urethane will keep the glass in place with no worries as it is a structural adhesive/sealant.

Attachments

• DSC01017_detail.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 305
Converting the car to a flush mount glass will be a big job in itself. I believe more so than
the chop. It may be surprising how different the shape of the glass is to the opening.

This is what I am contemplating. Before I do anything, I am going to "suspend" the glass in the hole and see exactly how it fits and what needs to be done. Maybe I figure that out today? :D

I got the front bumper support structure blasted last weekend and had the wife seal it up. Put it back on yesterday and now I am going to put some tape and cardboard on it to rough in the new shape. :blob:

Got the pass front corner started. Will take some pics of the whole "box" on the front before foam.:D

Finished building a form around my front bumper structure for the foam. Make sure you use good tape and tape up both sides of the connections as the pressure of the foam expanding will open up the tape spots if only on one side. The foam sticks really well to just about everything so be careful. The bumper cavity took about a gallon of foam product. 1/2 gal each of part A and part B.
This is my start of the form on the pass side.
View attachment WP_20150910_001.jpg
View attachment WP_20150910_002.jpg
View attachment WP_20150910_003.jpg
Didn't get any pics of the rest of the form assembled. Here are some pics of the foam expanding in the form.
View attachment WP_20150911_007.jpg
View attachment WP_20150911_008.jpg
View attachment WP_20150911_009.jpg
:D

Here are some pics after full of foam. The whole process, including building the form took about 3 hours with the form being about 2&1/2 of that. This stuff shapes really easy so you have to be careful that you don't take off too much. A small 60 grit sanding block will shape it up really fast.
View attachment WP_20150911_010.jpg
View attachment WP_20150911_013.jpg
View attachment WP_20150911_015 - Copy.jpg
Here are some after I took it off the car 1/2 hour later.
View attachment WP_20150911_018.jpg
View attachment WP_20150911_017.jpg
And here's the hazardous spill when you don't seal the ziplocks totally.
View attachment WP_20150911_012.jpg
View attachment WP_20150911_011.jpg
I will finish peeling off the rest of the form today sometime and get it back on the car and start shaping. Once I get to the shape I want, it is encased in an epoxy fiberglass and sanded to the smooth finish it needs to be painted. As big as it looks, the foam maybe only added about 2 pounds of weight. Nice lightweight stuff. Strong too!

You spend too much time on the internet looking for pictures!!!!:violent1: Get back to work!!:protest:
I took most of the rest of the cardboard off the foam this morning and then mounted it back to the car. These pics show how fast it is to shape the foam. It was literally 5 minutes to get to this point. I will "mold" some more later. :glasses7:
Here are the two parts:
View attachment WP_20150912_001.jpg

View attachment WP_20150912_002.jpg

View attachment WP_20150912_003.jpg

View attachment WP_20150912_004.jpg
Cut the big sections off with a carpenters saw. Took 2 minutes.
View attachment WP_20150912_005.jpg

View attachment WP_20150912_006.jpg
It is blocky right now but it's just rough in. Going to cut some more excess off the bottom portion and cut the lower grille opening for the radiator. Also need to cut in a couple driving lights on the lower portion.

-
Back