1967 Dart differential question

-
All i can tell ya about the bolt pattern is, its much wider aparts thatn that cars front drums. 5x 4.5
here is a pic, prob wont help, but comparing it to my front drums, its definetly wider apart.

Attachments

• 102_2718wheel1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 98
That's a model 20 AMC rear. How it wound up in a Dart is a whole other question!

AMC's used a pinion snubber like a Mopar's? As for how it got there, it doesn't surprise me cause some guys will put what ever they have in a car. I once saw a 1 ton Ford dually rearend in a Buick. Since Rambler American's had the same width and spring perch centers and driveshaft offset as an A-body Mopar their rear is a direct bolt in. Maybe that's what it came out of? My father-in-law has a 64 American and when I was working on it I measured the rearend and was surprised to find out it has the same dimensions as the 8-3/4 in my Cuda.

ok, here we go, after going to war with this thing, by myself, in gravel and dirt, Lol
I got it out, and here it is. (yeah im one hurting unit)

Lets play name that differential..
Contestants ready?:cheers:

It is kind of a strange looking rear end.

Attachments

• 102_2728.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 102_2729.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 102_2730.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 102_2731.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 90
Looks like a 8-1/4 to me. I know the picture above of the different rearends makes it look like the cover is more oval shaped but all I've seen aren't quite that oval shaped.

Thank you Fishy68, thats what i wanna hear.. Lol
All i know is the thing is a TANK! hehe

Now back to my original question,
whats this thing worth? Lol
i know price is all dependant on what ppl wanna pay, but just lookin for a ball park range.
Was thinking $150.. dont wanna be too greedy but sure dont wanna give it away. especially since i about killed myself getting this thing out, haha
Is the large bolt pattern standard with the 8 1/4?
or does that make it a bonus?

Good to hear Night Moves..
good to hopefully have some kind of closing on this thing. On the removal and the ID on it. Lol
I hope you never have to remove yours... and if so, hopefully you have a better place and set up to do it. (oh how i wish i had a nice 2 car garage to do this kind of work in)

Now to Sell it. :)

Thank you Fishy68, thats what i wanna hear.. Lol
All i know is the thing is a TANK! hehe

Now back to my original question,
whats this thing worth? Lol
i know price is all dependant on what ppl wanna pay, but just lookin for a ball park range.
Was thinking $150.. dont wanna be too greedy but sure dont wanna give it away. especially since i about killed myself getting this thing out, haha
Is the large bolt pattern standard with the 8 1/4?
or does that make it a bonus?

Your welcome. Nah, an 8-1/4 ain't a tank. Wait till ya do a 8-3/4 or better yet a Dana. I've read a lot of conflicting information regarding the 8-1/4. Some guys say they didn't use them in A-bodies before 72 but I'd swear I remember seeing at least a couple pre 73 A-bodies with 8-1/4's and they had the small bolt pattern. Not 100% sure though. Is it a sure-grip (in case you don't know what a sure-grip is, that's the same as a posi in GM terms)? Do you know the gear ratio? 8-1/4's can have super tall highway gears (2.40 ratio) and an open differential and are pretty much useless for performance or they can have decent gears (3.21 ratio) with a sure-grip and that makes a big difference in what it'll sell for. Generally speaking if it's a good working 2.40 ratio non-sure-grip it's not worth much ($100) but if it's a 3.21 sure-grip with good brakes and working good it can bring $250-350. It's like anything else, supply and demand sets the price. I just answered another question about a guy needing a 8-1/4 for an A-body in CA. Don't know if your very close to him but here's a link to the thread below. You might PM him once you figure out exactly what you've got and let him know.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=189651

Thanks again Fishy68, no its not the sure grip, i spin the power wheel and the other one goes opposite direction. I will have to go out tommorow and see what the ratio is.
Im thinking the rear end could have come out of anything really, the guy i got the parts car from wasnt too bright. so the fact that is a mopar rear end is something. Lol
Im actually in wash state, so not too close to him. But i appreciate the info. might go drop him a msg anyways.
I hope i never have to play with an other differential any time soon. especially the ones you mention as being true tanks. Lol
I will post what i find out tommorow about the ratio. ive got it advertised for 150 obo on craigslist.. might end up brigning that down a lil
Thanks again. very much appreciated :)

Good luck on getting the gear ratio........At least you know its a 8 1/4. And yes i had mine out.......Had a garage and its still wasnt easy.......All the best Edd

I have a 8.25 identical to that one here pulled from a 75 Valiant.
For the record... Pulling the thing springs and all is a heck of a lot easier than fighting the U bolt nuts under the car. Same applies at reinstall. Bolt up the forward spring hangers first.

For the record... Pulling the thing springs and all is a heck of a lot easier than fighting the U bolt nuts under the car. Same applies at reinstall. Bolt up the forward spring hangers first.

Good advice... Plus a good impact like a Ingersol 2131 sure makes it a lot easier.

Good luck on getting the gear ratio........At least you know its a 8 1/4. And yes i had mine out.......Had a garage and its still wasnt easy.......All the best Edd

Thank you Edd for all your input on this.. Its good to have people like all of the people here on FABO, makes thngs so much easier.
:)

Yes, i was looking at that, and that was my original plan, drop the back side of the leaf springs and roll her down. Lol didnt go that way, i couldnt for the life of me get those apart, i got the nuts off and released all the weight off of them, and pounded like a mad man trying to tap out the bolts/pins and they wouldnt budge. :( So i had to do it the absolute hardest way possible. lmao
seems to be a theme when ya dont have the right tools for the job.
Thanks for your input, very much appreciated :)

I have a 8.25 identical to that one here pulled from a 75 Valiant.

Good advice... Plus a good impact like a Ingersol 2131 sure makes it a lot easier.

Yes it was great advice, but boils down again to not having the right tools for the job.
Ive been spoiled in my past with only having to play with the coil spring type rear end, Lol Sooo much easier ;)

-
Back