1967 Dart Gauge Insert

-

Retnuh22

Reaction score
After trying to get my factory gauges to not only work but to be some what accurate to no prevail, I've decided to go to Spedhut gauges. I found there were no off the shelf cluster inserts, so I'm building one. I've tried to keep the factory feeling in the shape. The dash will be a leather/paint combination. The insert I'm hoping to cover in leather. It will mount using the factory screw locations, and the switches will be near factory locations. It's not complete yet, but figured I'd post a picture to get some feed back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 329
Here is an other picture. I don't know how to put multiples in one post, oh well

Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 279
I hope you'll continue to post progress, and maybe post pattern dimensions, etc

I will keep going on the updates. I also have pictures as I've gone. I've kept pretty good notes on dimensions. I did trim the dash a bit to fit everything in. As the car has a 360 in it and won't be put back to original, I felt OK with it. It was minimal trimming, and the parts could be welded back in. Speedhut is having their spring sale, so I hope to get my last two gauges at the door soon.

Tinkered a little in the garage this morning and got the factory switches located.
Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 269
a friend of mine built one for his Scamp, he took it to a place and had it cut with a water jet. They even cut the bright lights symbol and turn signals, it looks very good and professional with a custom and stylish look.

My final two gauges have shipped, and should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have some free time this weekend to fit the gauges and wire them up for a picture update.

Cheers.

Subscribed. I hope to do this next winter. Keep up the good work and show lots of pictures.

Got my gauges delivered, and then worked the day to cut holes and fitting the panel into the dash. If someone could please tell me how to post multiple pictures in a post I'd go from the beginning and explain what I've done. For now here is the insert and gauges installed. The gauges are not wired up. I'm going to get everything wired and working. I'll then move onto the center portion of the dash where I'll install a stereo and VintageAir controller. I'm also going to make a cover for the glove box door. Once everything fits and works, I have found a place that with cover all three with leather.

Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 224
Upload your photos to a free hosting site like www.photobucket.com and you can post as many pictures as you want per post. You can type in between them. Play around with it, you'll figure it out.

Thanks BrianT for the picture help. I've loaded most of the pictures to a site. In the mean time, I worked all morning and most of the afternoon on wire management. I'm not the fastest, but happy how it has turned out so far. I installed terminal ends on all the wires connecting the gauges so if the cluster has to come out it will just unplug. Moving right along if I say so myself.

Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 166
Good morning. Thought I would give an update. I Have been working on the center section of the dash. The vintageair controller will be placed below the radio.
Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 148
I was hoping for better photos of the way you bent this up. Is this welded steel? Aluminum?

All of this is 18 gauge sheetmetal, cut with an air saw and a die grinder. All pieces are flat as I don't have an English Wheel etc. Everything is welded mostly from behind. Regarding pictures, I'm a little lazy to start up the computer when the phone is so convenient. It's a little difficult to manipulate the pictures and trying to get them on the forum is a lot of work. Because of a few members asking for pics, I'll try to sit down and try it on the PC.
Cheers!

Ok, I have photos in Photobucket and all the pictures are too big for this site. Does anyone have a quick way to resize the photos? Back to garage for a while to work out this stress in a relaxing manner, (fabrication is my zen). Haha.

Cheers!

Got a little more progress done on the dash. I was able to form the glove box door sheetmetal. I still need to do some trimming and have to decide on mounting locations. Still saving up for the VintageAir controller. Won't be able to finish with leather until I cut the hole for the A/C. So, little things to cleanup, weld etc. I have kicked around the thought of possibly making a fiberglass mold, as the sheetmetal would be a great template. I'm gonna do some research and see what I can come up with.

Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 135
image.jpeg
Have worked a little on the dash. Here are a couple more pictures.

Cheers !

image.jpeg

IMG_0969.JPG

Last edited:
Finally got the switches installed and power back to the gauges. I just have a small aluminum trim piece to make for the brake light and the instrument cluster will be complete.

image.jpeg

I spent some time making my trim piece yesterday. Came out ok. A flat file, sand paper and polish. It's 6061 aluminum.
Cheers!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

-
Back