1967 Formula S?? a find or not!

-

freakoweirdo

Reaction score
Today I went to look at a car advertised as an all original, 1967 Barracuda Formula S fastback.
Everything seems to matchup, the VIN tag, the fender tag and it still has its certicard. all the numbers on these match each other .
the numbers also match to the cars options: 273 commando, 4 speed manual, colors inside and out, etc.
It certainly appears to be a formula S car:
273 commando
front sway bar
single resonator cutout in rear valence
emblems
150 mph speedo
8.75 rear ( sure grip)
but two things stuck out as odd for a Formula , firstly it had no tachometer. It has the 150 mph speedo but no tach.
secondly it has drum brakes all the way around.
Could this really be a formula S??? i was under the impression that all formula S cars had discs and tachs.
what gives.
The car is quite beautiful and in great original shape, no rust i could find, very solid straight body , black with a copper interior, 4 speed manual in console, and it looks like very low miles. he wants $14,600 for it, how is that for price.?
thanks, Neal

Price sounds about $5-k too high.

I don't think they had factory tachs, but I could be wrong.

Does sound like a cool car though.

The tach was an option, you could get nothing, a clock, a vacuum gauge, or a tach in that space. Disc brakes were also optional. The price sounds a little high but if it`s all original with a solid, no rust body, and low miles it sounds like there`s room to negotiate a price that you can both live with.

My 67-S has drum brakes all the way around. It also has the factory in dash tach. Mine has a 7 1/4 rear end it...yukk. I don't think the 273 cars came with an 8 3/4 in it. It sounds like it might be a good find. It better be exceptional for that asking price.

I have a 67 Formuls S convertible, It's a bh27E car and it didn't have disc's or tach from the factory. I bought it new in September of 1967(leftover) in Easton Pa. It does have a 8 3/4 and all the other S cars I've seen from that year do. It was a 273 4bbl with 4 speed and a 3:23 out back.

Today I went to look at a car advertised as an all original, 1967 Barracuda Formula S fastback.
Everything seems to matchup, the VIN tag, the fender tag and it still has its certicard. all the numbers on these match each other .
the numbers also match to the cars options: 273 commando, 4 speed manual, colors inside and out, etc.
It certainly appears to be a formula S car:
273 commando
front sway bar
single resonator cutout in rear valence
emblems
150 mph speedo
8.75 rear ( sure grip)
but two things stuck out as odd for a Formula , firstly it had no tachometer. It has the 150 mph speedo but no tach.
secondly it has drum brakes all the way around.
Could this really be a formula S??? i was under the impression that all formula S cars had discs and tachs.
what gives.
The car is quite beautiful and in great original shape, no rust i could find, very solid straight body , black with a copper interior, 4 speed manual in console, and it looks like very low miles. he wants $14,600 for it, how is that for price.?
thanks, Neal

My 67-S has drum brakes all the way around. It also has the factory in dash tach. Mine has a 7 1/4 rear end it...yukk. I don't think the 273 cars came with an 8 3/4 in it. It sounds like it might be a good find. It better be exceptional for that asking price.

What color was your car?

my sister has a 67 Formula S fastback that was beige with black bucket interior auto on column (sure would be funny if it was the same car)

I ended up with the 273 hipo and 8 3/4 in my 67 coupe (my 1st car) and put a 7 1/4 in her formula S. All Hipo cars had 8 3/4" rearend as far as I know

I don't remember if her's had tack, I was thinking vac. gauge just like my 1st car and other sisters 67 coupe

Both Rita's and my 67 Formula S had drum brake all around

My 67 Coupe Formula S (different car) 4 speed had factory tack

What color was your car?

my sister has a 67 Formula S fastback that was beige with black bucket interior auto on column (sure would be funny if it was the same car)

I ended up with the 273 hipo and 8 3/4 in my 67 coupe (my 1st car) and put a 7 1/4 in her formula S. All Hipo cars had 8 3/4" rearend as far as I know

I don't remember if her's had tack, I was thinking vac. gauge just like my 1st car and other sisters 67 coupe

Both Rita's and my 67 Formula S had drum brake all around

My 67 Coupe Formula S (different car) 4 speed had factory tack

Wildcat, mine is silver (originally a red FB). It has a 7 1/4 in it, I thought the 67s all did with the 273?

It has a floor console with black interior. Damn thing looks original (never know though). Fender tag was long gone, it's a total rust busket. I replaced all the frame rails & pans. Every panel was rusted on that S.O.B., never again will I attempt something like that!

I bought the green 69 (pic gallery) because it was a turnkey. Besides, I can't do anything strenuous because of a neck, back, shoulder problem.

well, i checked the NADA and Kelley guides today, and for an average " 20 footer" that 14,600 is about right on the money
Are these guides just a total joke though?
what gives?
neal

well, i checked the NADA and Kelley guides today, and for an average " 20 footer" that 14,600 is about right on the money
Are these guides just a total joke though?
what gives?
neal

When it comes to reality, yes.

Most great condition cars of this caliber are averaging $9-10-k from what I've seen the past couple years.

I believe there are two serial # for 67-273 cars. If the engine in the VIN is a D then it is regular 2bbl version, if an E then it is 4bbl HP version. I believe also that 7-1/4 rear is standard on 273-2bbl

Grant

I believe there are two serial # for 67-273 cars. If the engine in the VIN is a D then it is regular 2bbl version, if an E then it is 4bbl HP version. I believe also that 7-1/4 rear is standard on 273-2bbl

Grant

my 273 2bar 67 barracuda had 7 1/4

my 67 Formula S and sisters had 8 3/4, until I took her 8 3/4 and 273 hipo and put in my car............LOL

Well, in 65, the tach was an "S" package part, couldnt get one without it, and the 8 3/4 was behind the 4sp while the auto got the 7 1/4. They had 10 inch drums all around and a front sway bar and 5 leaf springs, stripe was dealer "installed" and had 5.5 inch rims (I think)

Some time late in the 66 model year or in 67 the 8-3/4 became part of the 273 four barrel four speed package, but not necessarily all. My old 66 Commando four speed Barracuda had a 7-1/4, but the 67 Rallye Dart GT we parted out in 1981 (wrecked in 1974, but had a 273 four barrel and 904) had a 3.23SG 8-3/4.

With the current market collector cars are down 15 to 20 % is what most are saying

I found someone that that has three Barracudas. One is a 67 fastback formula S car w/o original engine. Now has 318 and auto. I think it has 8-3/4. Second is a 67 Notchback with 6 cyl pretty much bone stock with no options. The third is a 67 convertible. Engine has been changed to later small block. All are auto with steel wheels. Little rust in bottom of rear quarters. Stored in a basement and interiors are mouldy. But the cars are all there as it were. So the convertible and the formula S are not orginal anymore but they have not been messed with other than the engines. I did notice the Formula S fastback had the upgrade steering wheel and power drum brakes. None had air cond. Paint is still on all of them. Trying to get a ballpark idea of what cars like this are worth in todays market. I don't have any idea of which is more sought after. Seems like I have seen the fastbacks used as drag cars a lot. Are the notchbacks rare? What about convertibles? Thanks for any info.

-
Back