1967 to 1969 Barracuda Bumper Alignment / Fitting

-

bc67barracuda

1967 Barracuda - Fastback
Reaction score
Trying to mount the new rear bumper to the new rear 1/4 panel and it is very tight. Minimal to no gap! I guess I could try to shim it? Any suggestions?

You need stock measurements to compare.

The rear bumper should have a uniform gap of about 3/4" to 1", all the way around. I can't give an interior measurement of my bumper without taking it off the car, sorry.

My guess is that the problem is your re-pop bumper is to narrow. I have seen this problem before (on this forum).

Do you have access to a factory bumper that you could test fit?

Friend got an AMD 71 Demon rear bumper and was a little narrow. Factory one was a tight too. Just not as tight. Car is 100% original sheet metal no collision damage.

Ok, just went out in garage and measured: 66 1/2 inches "inside to inside" of the frontmost tip that curls around the body.

If old legends are true, those old Barracudas used the same bumpers on the front as the rear. Maybe try the front on the rear?

Friend got an AMD 71 Demon rear bumper and was a little narrow. Factory one was a tight too. Just not as tight. Car is 100% original sheet metal no collision damage.

Ok, just went out in garage and measured: 66 1/2 inches "inside to inside" of the frontmost tip that curls around the body.

Original bumpers are 66 1/2 as you indicated and both repro bumpers are 66 3/8 inches so maybe it is the 1/4 panels?

If it's not the re-pop bumper you are in for some MAJOR surgery.

It would be well worth your time to see if one of your originals will bolt on before doing anything else.

If it's not the re-pop bumper you are in for some MAJOR surgery.

It would be well worth your time to see if one of your originals will bolt on before doing anything else.

Put the front one on and at least that is somewhat close. Will try the original and if not I might figure out some wedge spacers and or take it to a metal fab shop to see if they can stretch it a 1/4 inch?

Attachments

• DSCF5607.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCF5606.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 324
I would think the bumper needs to be stretched out on each side slightly, but of course that would probably crack the chrome...sorry to hear...

I have a AMD bumper on the front of my cuda and it fit good. No noticeable difference between it and the original and as stated above about one inch of clearance all the way around.

Attachments

• P4140017.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 304
Is that the back of the car? You have something seriously wrong going on. Your 1/4s are way out. You said you put in a rear valance, did you have problems or any weird fitment issues when installing?

Do the trunk and tail lights fit?

Is that the back of the car? You have something seriously wrong going on. Your 1/4s are way out. You said you put in a rear valance, did you have problems or any weird fitment issues when installing?

Do the trunk and tail lights fit?

My body guy did not mention any fitment problems and I am not able to verify as I believe he is in jail?. Serves him right for not fitting it properly! Looks great though!

Maybe hand file the insides of the bumpers? then touch up the bare metal with silver
paint? If the car is painted already what route can you go.
Just trying to suggest something. I really do not know if this will work.
Darryl

He has 2 options.

Section the bumper making it wider by about 2" (for a correct "looking" fit).
-or-
Re-fit the quarter.

This is exactly why you test fit everything before welding.

I really cant make much of the close up pics. If the ends of the bumper are rotated upward it would hit on the sides. If the entire bumper is mounted high it would hit there too. I dont know if the brackets can be installed wrong or how much adjustment is available there.
For what its worth, these bumpers are very easy to straighten so should be just as easy to tweak. 2 pieces of 4X4 and a bottle jack between the ends would spead it and the added length would come from the horizontal line across the front moving inward. In other words it would cave toward the tag cut out.
Done right it wouldn't bend enough in one spot to crack the plating.

The panels are out and have decided to use a cuttoff wheel attached to a small pneumatic die grinder. Hope it works without damaging the chrome otherwise off to the plating place and $400-$500 later.

Red Fish is right with a portapower or botle jack you can spread the bumper a littlebit without cracking crome. then grind and reshape the ends. I just finnished up my quaters and rear bodypanel. they over laped extra in that area. deceving on ware to weld. I prefit deck lid, taillights and used a tram stick to set corners of quaters. Im sure you will work it out.

Hope it works out for you (just think of Apollo 13) It can be done.

Darryl

The first thing I would do is span the bumper aross a pair of saw horses and let the grand kids jump up and down on it. LOL
Just saying it wont take much to straighten the face radius a tad which would spread the ears exponentially.

Well, did exactly what you had posted and it worked and managed to get a 1/4 inch per side it is not a true factory inch per side but it will do. Thanks for your input!!!

Attachments

• DSCF5723.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCF5724.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 246
-
Back