1968 10" drum brake hardware kits?

-

72Dodge

Reaction score
I'm looking for drum brake hardware kits (both front and rear) for a '68 Dart with 10" drums all around. Everywhere I look, I can't find any kits for '68. But, if I look under 1972 10" brakes (1.75" rear, 2.25" front), I find the below kit.

So the question:

Would it be the same kit for 1968? Or is 1968 somehow different (and apparently unavailable or hard to find?).

Brake/Wheel Hub : Drum Brake Hardware Kit
RAYBESTOS Part # H7129 {#507129, H7038} Professional Grade
10" Brakes; Rear; Front Drum brakes; Rear Drum brakes
10" Brakes; Front

I will be out travelling most of today, so won't see any answers probably until later tonight, but thanks ahead of time and Merry Christmas!

I'm looking for drum brake hardware kits (both front and rear) for a '68 Dart with 10" drums all around. Everywhere I look, I can't find any kits for '68. But, if I look under 1972 10" brakes (1.75" rear, 2.25" front), I find the below kit.

So the question:

Would it be the same kit for 1968? Or is 1968 somehow different (and apparently unavailable or hard to find?).

Brake/Wheel Hub : Drum Brake Hardware Kit
RAYBESTOS Part # H7129 {#507129, H7038} Professional Grade
10" Brakes; Rear; Front Drum brakes; Rear Drum brakes
10" Brakes; Front

I will be out travelling most of today, so won't see any answers probably until later tonight, but thanks ahead of time and Merry Christmas!

1968 back is unique on the A body 10" brakes and many items had been discontinued when I needed them years back. I ended out figuring out that I could use 1969 Dart 10" kits as long as I got everything that had to do with the spring kit and it works perfectly. Both 68 back and 69 a bodies with the original small bolt pattern share the same brake shoe part numbers. The shoes may even go newer but I never checked that out.

Cool, thanks. I figured something like that but didn't know '68 back was different. What I'm probably going to do is just upgrade the front to the K-H discs right away anyway, then I'll just have to worry about the rear. The car will be staying small bolt pattern, because it's a restoration (except the front discs), not a resto-mod.

Not 100% clear what you mean by this: "I ended out figuring out that I could use 1969 Dart 10" kits as long as I got everything that had to do with the spring kit and it works perfectly."

Do you mean just get the '69 complete kit with the springs and such, and it will work?

Thanks again.

If you have a napa auto parts I got mine from them I had to use 68 ply barracuda formula s to get the right stuff.

If u have 10x1 3/4 rear drums, I had a he(( of a time getting them, Rockauto had a few sets left and then out of production.

Cool, thanks. I figured something like that but didn't know '68 back was different. What I'm probably going to do is just upgrade the front to the K-H discs right away anyway, then I'll just have to worry about the rear. The car will be staying small bolt pattern, because it's a restoration (except the front discs), not a resto-mod.

Not 100% clear what you mean by this: "I ended out figuring out that I could use 1969 Dart 10" kits as long as I got everything that had to do with the spring kit and it works perfectly."

Do you mean just get the '69 complete kit with the springs and such, and it will work?

Thanks again.

The spring kits and the adjuster cable parts. The shoes, shoe pins/spring kit and the star adjuster were the same.

The '68 and earlier adjusters have the potential to over tighten the brakes, They redesigned the adjusters beginning in '69 to prevent this. My guess is, they don't offer the earlier kits anymore because of this possible problem.

I recently got a spring kit from Autozone H7129 for my rear 10" x 2.5" on '75 Duster. It came with 2 different length pins. The ones I did not need were 1/4 inch shorter. Don't know if the other parts are diff for older ones, just sayin, they are making these kits to cover multiple apps.

One thing that did not match was the upper springs. Mine had all long springs when I got it. They gave me shorter ones for the primary. Can anyone tell me if it matters? The back one must be long to hold the wire guide for the adjuster, but I saw others online with short spring in top hole and seemed to work fine...

OK, this will work. Thanks all for the info. For some reason I lost my subscription to this thread so didn't see the new replies until now.

I do have 10 1-3/4" rear drums, and yeah, I see Rock Auto doesn't have them. I'm hoping I can use the later ones. So, I guess that's another question. What do I use for rear drums? Will later ones work (in same size, obviously)?

And on 2nd thought, I believe I might go with refurbing the front drums for now too, since the drums seem to still be available for the front. For now, at least!

OK, this will work. Thanks all for the info. For some reason I lost my subscription to this thread so didn't see the new replies until now.

I do have 10 1-3/4" rear drums, and yeah, I see Rock Auto doesn't have them. I'm hoping I can use the later ones. So, I guess that's another question. What do I use for rear drums? Will later ones work (in same size, obviously)?

And on 2nd thought, I believe I might go with refurbing the front drums for now too, since the drums seem to still be available for the front. For now, at least!

The rear drums are nearly impossible to find.

The rear drums are nearly impossible to find.

Rut roh. OK, I better start checking around then. And looking for options. I guess I don't care all that much whether the brakes are original or not, just that they work and are safe. And hopefully not TOO costly.

Rut roh. OK, I better start checking around then. And looking for options. I guess I don't care all that much whether the brakes are original or not, just that they work and are safe. And hopefully not TOO costly.

The problem is the small bolt pattern with 10" was stopped in 1972. The small bolt 1973 to 1976 went back to 9". All disc brake A body cars from 1973 to 1976 were 10" but big bolt pattern.

I did just find some (well, maybe, if they actually have them in stock), but they're for a later car (1975 spec), but 10" rear drums. It doesn't say width though. If I go tomorrow and they are 10x1-3/4", will they work on the '68?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the help.

EDIT: DOH, just saw your reply on BBP, forgot about that.

Well, I guess absolute worst case scenario, I have to change it over to big bolt. Like I said, this is to be a restoration (GTS), and I have the correct 14x5.5 steelies for the car, so I'd strongly prefer this one stay small bolt.

I'm already starting to come to grips with the situation. It's going to be easiest both in the short and the long run to just convert at least the rear to BBP. A couple new axles is going to be a lot less headache than dealing with the obsolete rear drum situation all the time. And the front will get the discs when it needs the fronts done. I already have some nice 15" BBP steelies, so I'm all set. No one else is going to care, and it's not worth the hassle to try to keep the brakes original.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Can I use my same backing plates? Just switch the axles, then get the newer 10x1-3/4" BBP drums and use the newer brake kit? It seems like it would be just that easy... of course when I started this thread, I thought the whole thing was as easy as just finding a brake hardware kit!

I'm already starting to come to grips with the situation. It's going to be easiest both in the short and the long run to just convert at least the rear to BBP. A couple new axles is going to be a lot less headache than dealing with the obsolete rear drum situation all the time. And the front will get the discs when it needs the fronts done. I already have some nice 15" BBP steelies, so I'm all set. No one else is going to care, and it's not worth the hassle to try to keep the brakes original.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Can I use my same backing plates? Just switch the axles, then get the newer 10x1-3/4" BBP drums and use the newer brake kit? It seems like it would be just that easy... of course when I started this thread, I thought the whole thing was as easy as just finding a brake hardware kit!
Have you thought about the big bolt drums and redrill them for small bolt. Not sure if that would work for you.

Thanks again.

Trouble is the narrow shoes. Most people change the backing plates (that requires the rearend to be town down) because the new axles are slightly longer so they can use commonly found brake parts. If you search the right drums are around used and I see new ones ocassionally. There was a guy on this site that had 6 new made in USA rear brake drums and if I recall correctly had only sold 2 but I can't find the thread. There are good used ones on the site from the guys that change over to BBP because all the original 8 3/4 a body rearends were SBP.

I got the hardware kit from Autozone for 73+ 10" drum cars for my 65 Dart, only ~$8/axle. I had to re-use my pins since earlier cars have narrower shoes (rear only I recall), but the pin springs were the same. I see another poster got a kit with 2 pins lengths in the package. I used the later style adjusters that came in the kit.

As mentioned, rear drums are very hard to find. It appears one could cut the lip off front drums to have them fit. Some have a single lip which would be easier. You might also find correct width drums and drill new bolt holes. For this, Centric lists all dimensions, and you can browse them on rockauto. However, the drums should also have a correct size center register hole, which is harder.

Thanks. I've sent him an email. They are listed as used, but doesn't give any other details about condition, I don't want to get something that's unusable, or only usable for a short time. Something like this would work though, I think finding new or good used is probably my best route. I have until spring to find some.

I actually have another pair in my garage on my extra 8.75, but they're used up too.

Trouble is the narrow shoes. Most people change the backing plates (that requires the rearend to be town down) because the new axles are slightly longer so they can use commonly found brake parts. If you search the right drums are around used and I see new ones ocassionally. There was a guy on this site that had 6 new made in USA rear brake drums and if I recall correctly had only sold 2 but I can't find the thread. There are good used ones on the site from the guys that change over to BBP because all the original 8 3/4 a body rearends were SBP.

Yeah, those new USA ones would be really ideal. I'll see if I can find the thread tonight also. Thanks.

Just checked and Rockauto, showing one set of 10 x 1 3/4 drums left. Check under 72 dart 340.

Those would be large bolt pattern though, but thanks.

In another thread I started to seek out drums, I actually did end up getting a new set of the correct SBP drums thanks to oklacarcollecto's help.

Sorry they are showing as fronts didn't think they used 1 3/4 on front. checked my invoice part # is wagner bd60123

-
Back