1968 318 alternator suggestion

-

Stihl011

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I purchased an alternator that the local auto parts store's website assured me would fit my car. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to....but it almost fits. Comparing it to the alternator I took out, it seems to have some extra features (circled) in the housing that rub up against the engine block and header.

I'd rather not keep buying alternators and finding out they don't fit. Anyone else run into this? Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternator that would fit?

upload_2022-7-22_21-5-31.png

upload_2022-7-22_21-6-12.png

The older one has the round back the newer one has the square back I really don't know if they're both compatible I know one of them is about 60 amps or 55 amps

Thanks guys, I think I got what I need now that I had the "roundback" search term. I'm pretty sure I can just ground the second terminal, correct?

Yes. That may not be a "pure Mopar" unit. It may be a "look alike" I'm not sure. But the extra field terminal is not a problem. Just ground either and connect as per the old one

What was the problem, why did u want to change out your original alternator?
Like stated earlier, Round backs came stock, up until around 70, Square backs took over.
Get your original Round Back rebuilt.
I had a no charging issue on the road a few years ago and could only find Square backs rebuilt in the stores.

You need a round back with the individual diodes and one wire. The square back is 2 wire.

Jim
That is not true unless you are going for "restore correct." The squarebacks are actually better units, and some models charge better at lower RPM than the old roundbacks

I heard that the Square backs did charge better, but kept the original look.

Are you sure you had the roundback mounted correctly? I swapped from roundback to square back with no mounting issues.

I purchased an alternator that the local auto parts store's website assured me would fit my car. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to....but it almost fits. Comparing it to the alternator I took out, it seems to have some extra features (circled) in the housing that rub up against the engine block and header.

I'd rather not keep buying alternators and finding out they don't fit. Anyone else run into this? Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternator that would fit?
Hopefully you still have the old one, it is often worth fixing.

What you purchased is a "Revised Squareback" as explained here: Identifying Chrysler Alternators (1960-1976)

Not only does it not fit as well, but they draw more field current than the earlier models.
"Field" is also explained in the thread linked above.
Field current is the electrons flowing through the voltage regulator and the rotor's windings.
Excessively high field current may damage the points (or electonic components) of a regulator not designed to handle such high currents.

There is no guarentee that any alternator has been rebuilt with the proper rotor, so the issue sometimes surfaces even with the correct appearing replacment. This why I wrote that its best to hang onto yours. Replacements are like a game of roullete that we sometimes have to play.

More important on your replacement is that the connections are functionally correct for your system. You need to inspect the field brushes and be sure that one has an insulated terminal and that the other has a connection to ground. The voltage regulator output must feed to the insulated terminal. That's also explained in the thread linked above.

If you want to also do a field current test, its not difficult, just astep beyond some people's comfort zone.

Last edited:
-
Back