1968 BARRACUDA - 440 Water pump housing

-
Gilligan and the skipper thought it was going to be a three-hour job, too...

don`t you all love how nothing ever fits right, and has to be massaged to make wit work? change one thing and it affects 3-4 things !

haha....

[Thursday]
checked her last night, Water neck is leaking where it meets the gasket i am not sure if its the water neck (chepo chrome) or the gasket or thee bolts not tight enough?

purchasing new gasket (mr. gasket) and new water neck..

keep you guys update.

THANKS guys.... thought so.
most places only offer this chrome one in "stock" anyone know where i could get one quick?

will the Doorman water neck outlet work fine?
with the outlet point to the side?
mine point straight up, hope this wont cause another issue.

OKAY,

[Wednesday]
Added on some hydraulic lines on in place of hard steel lines {transmission cooler line} Did all of that in about an hour maybe 1 1/2 tops. thank god for that.

turned her on sounds fine... except for all that A/F leaking everywhere.

i suspect the water neck.
Hopefully nothing else... will look at her tonight.
If your using a chrome water neck,take it off and sand all the chrome off the sealing surface and reinstall it. The chrome plating makes them leak.

Your high pressure hose is nice and everything but the cooling circuit of a torqueflite runs at around 20psi. Maybe less. Taking the chrome off that waterneck use 180/220 grit on a flat surface. Give that gasket something to grab. Is that gasket the thick one with the plastic beads for sealing? Dont care for it myself. Stock gasket is fine as long as the surfaces are flat.

Don't use chrome neck. They will leak 80% of the time.

My experience as well, I went through two or three with no luck, I ended up buying a billet aluminum one and so far it seems good. I think I got it from 440source.

Last edited:
I sanded the chrome thermostat and i also purchased a mr gasket thick gasket with rubber inlay. if that makes sense not sure that i am explaining that right but i am sure you guys know which gasket i am reffering to.

any ways... leak isnt as bad but still getting a few drips.

440 source ... here i come.. (new water neck)

nice having this place to vent, feels like we are all tackling this together.

thanks guys for the gauidance.

As I said in a earlier post I dont care for those. You need to make the mounting flange on the housing flat. The ears tend to pull up. Use a file and standard gasket.

so are you saying to file on the ear side a bit to have better grab when tightning because they tend to bend?

makes sense.

but sand flat on gasket mount surfaces wit 180/220 grit.

i will try that.

should garket sealer ever be added at these points?
or gasket alone should do its job?

Yeah,as flat as possible. Use a coarse sandpaper or file. I just did this to my car. I used a sealant. Edelbrock gaskacinch works very good. And I used a cheapo water neck. No leaks @ 18 psi.

UPDATE:

well i havent done anything with her just yet but i have been driving her more and the leak is down just to a few drops a day now. not as bad. so it has gotten better with actually driving her.

but i still intend to address the situation, But i also wanted to mention did i also ran into some trouble with my belt system had to get a perfect alignment for her to stop "squeeking" and not jump out of alignment. had to get the perfect tightening tension for her not to "squeel" and higher RPM. all but one of my pulleys are stock except for the center tightening one it is stamped with a Ford insignia... (previous owner) must address this asap haha... how would i find the correct tension pulley?

Do you mean water pump pulley? Regardless you can buy new pulleys from classic industries,hit the junkyards or go to a friends and 'find' one. Being a packrat for 30 something years,I just grab the box marked 'pulleys' off the shelf.

-
Back