1968 Barracuda? $60,000? wtf?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike, it looks like a dealer, they messed that add up real bad. It was bad enough asking 60 grand, but they made a mess of the whole add.

They must've gotten into the crack too.

I don't know what parts cost where on your planet guys but here on earth I've got 60K+ in my 69fastback (ground up resto) and expect to spend 10 more before it's done and I don't have a 20K motor in mine stuff costs big to build when theres no good repop parts out there

I don't know what parts cost where on your planet guys but here on earth I've got 60K+ in my 69fastback (ground up resto) and expect to spend 10 more before it's done and I don't have a 20K motor in mine stuff costs big to build when theres no good repop parts out there

I understand what you're saying, BUT nobody is getting anywhere near that price for a second generation Barracuda, unless it's a numbers matching, unmolested, original hemi car.

Asking prices are getting ridiculous, and the add does not show a Barracuda, until you look through the pics. That's why I posted it.

I know building a car is expensive, but usually it's hard to get the money back out of it if you decide to sell . If I put 50K into my Barracuda, I would not expect to get it back.

Hey welcome to FABO by the way, you're in Victoria? I'm in Parksville. What is your project? (sorry Woodys I'm not trying to hack this thread at all)

60K?? They could have at least vaccumed the carpet befor snapping a pic.

I did notice the ferd is sporting a 460 tho!!

Says "engine #'s match, so it may be real.

As far as the 8.75 goes, it was standard on ANYTHING with an automatic EXCEPT the 69 1/2 A-12 cars, which had a Dana 4.10 regardless.

So unless it had a trac pac or super trac pac optioned in, an 8.75 with a 3.23 peg leg would be correct

That car was on there for sale about a month ago. the guy said he had 74k in it and was taking a beating on it. I figure the dealer bought it or traded the guy. I figure i can build a hemi 2nd generation car for 30 to 35k including the drivetrain. I built the hemi in my road runner all new parts, but the intake for $11,500

I did a search for ended listing to find the old ad. I guess they got rid of that style of search. It is the same pictures used.

A friend of mine spent close to $60K on restoring a 68 318 notchback. When he tried to sell it a couple of years latter he couldn't even get a $30k offer.

If you are spending that kind of money you better not being doing it as an investment.

My car is not going to win any kind of show and at best its a good 20 footer. Including building a 360 for it and the orignal cost of the car I don't have $10k invested.

NewTires007-1.jpg

Always start w/as solid of a car as possible, do as much work as you can yourself, and pray....all I can say is "D*mn." I could never spend that much on a standard production car from the '60's. I'm not bagging on anyone; I just could not force myself to do it. My Valiant may get up to $15k if I go sick on it, but I figure $6,500-7,000 will get it real respectable.

well guy's I understand what your saying and first off of course I understand the difference between build cost and resale value and don't plan on selling this car ever period it's the car I'm going to drive everyday for the rest of my life , the add we are talking about said further down that the seller had 71k into it and with a 572hemi indy motor/ I believe it said -your talking about a 20k motor no matter where you live {indy charges everybody the same} so 10k on your project don't get you in the same sport let alone the ballpark , my project had cancer and I decided I wanted to save a car that you just don't see anymore in some places {especially the northern midwest and ontario if you look at the posting for this years moparfest in southern ontario here on fabo you will only see 1 abody barracuda that I could find in the pics }
and I didnt want to see it die so I put my money where my mouth is and have spent 2years eating beanie weenies to make this car new again
{ i'm a carpenter not a lottery winner } and when it's finally done this fall it will be worth every penny - if you buy a new car at 30k financed over 5 years we will be at about the same bottom line and my car lasted 40 years the first time and will do it again will your new recycled budwiser can and coke bottle do the same no effen way .
Unfortunately as I said there is no good repop parts for these cars yet and they are growing in value because nobody saved them, they were lady cars and salesman cars and were driven into the ground them crushed , over the years what cars were left are being cannabalized and the pool of parts cars is shrinking , it took us six months to find a good pair of fenders and I had to pay $1200.00 for a pair that had had the lips rolled cause it was them or nothing /my resto guy just last week payed 800 for a pair and they are so full of cheese it's gonna cost him 1k in labour time to make them usable , I know this is a long post but my point is you really do get what you pay for and the days of good clean cheap barracuda's are I'm sorry to say gone if the price is cheap the car probably ain't worth it cause repair will cost twice what the expensive car costs , the poor guy who keeps posting his numbers matching formula S 383 car on ebay wants 46k for a good original car and can't get it but if one of you don't buy it before I finish mine and get a down payment in the bank I will cause these cars will be the next rare breed . see ya eh!

I am a commercial plumber, no millionaire, too. I just can't see that kind of money into a car- if I can't use it, enjoy it, and constantly have to worry about it, I don't want or need it. Maybe I'll never be in the 'ballpark' of that version of musclecar, but I'd rather have a clone or lower car. Kinda like an old high school girlfriend- we were younger, inexperienced, had more in common, et cetera. Over time, you grow apart and break up. Moving forward a decade or two, you have fond memories of that time and get a chance to meet up with an old flame. You do it and the reasons why you two aren't together becomes readily apparent in short order (not to mention time isn't kind to some folks). I approach cars the same way-if it's too far gone, I don't want to bother with it and it will go. After all, if it was so important from the onset of the relationship, why did it become a turd? BTW, I am married and have two daughters, so I am able to muster romance from somewhere DEEP inside me

well 6t9 v-100 I hear ya man , the car didn't become a turd with me I was" Just a 3 dressed up as a 9 only wasten my time"- sorry canadian rock reference either you'll get it or not - someone had hid the problems real well even my mechanic who has been a mopar pro for 40plus years didn't see the crap we ended up finding deep underneath ,but as I said I will be driving this car every day and everywhere so when you compare what a new car costs to own and operate and rebuy every 5-10 years compared to a car that lasted 40 years here in Canada and should do it again since we haven't cheaped out or taken any short cuts I 'll be ahead before I would have the second new car paid for { my acclaim lasted 80k before the tranny went and the head gasket went after 90k and that was before it was paid off on a 5 year note} if I kept buying new ones . Here on Vancouver Island it hardly ever snows , they don't salt the roads and it's always spring or fall {winter and summer are barely 2 months each here the rest of the year its mild }so this car is in heaven compared to where it spent the first 35 years of it's life so it should last me the rest of my life I'm 45 now and not many of us old tradesmen live to 80 something to do with the lifestyle i guess eh! haha - anyway to each his own I was only pointing out that the guy spent big for a big buck ride and we shouldn't hack on him for wanting to get his money out of it cause if you did want that kind of ride it will cost you more than he's asking to build it

A-body cars are still very resonably priced and whether they ever get to fetching over $50k on a regular basis is yet to be seen. You can get a real nice driver for $10k-15k most anytime. The car being posted on ebay would certainly be worth more because of the hemi but to fetch what they are asking it would have had to have been built by one of the big names. A couple of sasons ago Barry White did a Dart with a hemi and it was spectacular and as I recall it went for the mid $60ks.

I all most picked up another 68 Barracuda coupe last year and I passed mainly becuase I promised that for my next project i would get her a 65-67 Mustang.

Anyway, the car was a 68 notchback, gold with a white vynal top and white interior. It was a \6 car with power steering and power brakes and had a dealer installed AC system (the units that hang along the bottom of the dash). This car was solid with the only cancer being the rear splash panel (never seen that rusted out before). The asking price was $2800 and i talked to the guy that bought it and he paid $2500. This car only needed minor body work, paint and interior work to make it a very nice driver.

Hey Cannucky, I live on the E.side of Seattle...hell, we're practically neighbors!

yesy-yes we are ,on a clear night we could just about throw rocks at each other eh! haha have you spent any time here on van isle { aka honalulu north} ? maybe I'll see ya on the road next summer as I plan on wearing out a couple of sets of tires next year to make up for the 2 years of no vacations and eating beannie weanies to make this resto happen {" my bronze 69 } as I keep telling these other guys look for the bronze blur and the red taillights cause that was me :toothy10:

For what it's worth, I don't look at my Dart as an investment; I put money and time into it because I want it to be a certain way and just happen to love the car. I would never expect to get out of the car what I put into it, unless I found another buyer who loves these cars as much as I do. It's similar to how Realtors view houses as property, whereas you and I view them (for the most part) as our homes to be lived in and raise families if applicable. I look at my Dart as my weekend toy to be thoroughly enjoyed for the car that it is and the reactions (always kind) from strangers who may have never seen one before, and not as a bank account growing with appreciated value.

For what it's worth, I don't look at my Dart as an investment; I put money and time into it because I want it to be a certain way and just happen to love the car. I would never expect to get out of the car what I put into it, unless I found another buyer who loves these cars as much as I do.

Right on. I couldn't have said it better myself. :cheers:

The car in the add caught my eye since the wrong pictures were posted with it in the first place. The price was Barrett Jacksonish (new word) too. I agree that restoring/upgrading most regular production cars are bad as an investment (classic, or not). You'll probably never get your money back out of it.

That said, we sink money in them because we like them, and want to improve them. I don't really care how much money anybody puts into their car. It's their choice.

Anyways, I won't bother pointing out these type of adds anymore since some people get offended. It's not a big deal.

Enjoy your cars, and the hobby, I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back