1968 Barracuda fastback- Barris appearance kit

-

Littleblue

Reaction score
Just wondering if there is any new information out their on the Barris Appearance kit for the 68 Barracuda. I hear there where around 8 made but no info on anything else. Would love some specs on the parts if anyone has some.

the kit appears to have a deck lid with top replaced in fiberglass with a spoiler integrated, side scoops behind the quarter window, non functional side pipes, wheels and tires, and non functional hood grill extensions that have a hilborn look to them.

Any info would be appreciated. I appear to have an original Barris deck lid, but would like to find or fab some of the other parts of the kit.

7695AA97-7CCE-4D8F-B7C9-FA37C3747115.jpeg

Wasnt it called Corky or something like that?

No that was a different deal. Not this car or styling kit.

There was a red one in original paint as Spring Fling 1998 or so. Was in MCG magazine. IIRC, it may have been one of the Barris advertising cars. Steve Juliano told us he bought it, but it was never delivered. So there’s a mess with that one. IIRC, seller was in the upper northwest… like WA or BC.

pics from Spring Fling at Woodley Park Van Nuys shown in MCG magazine:

31918040013_large.jpg

there’s one or two in Virginia area. I think it’s popped up at Carlisle.

This was a kit sold by Barris. Had a press release and advertisement in magazine.

spoiler1.jpg

Last edited:
@Littleblue Did you buy this car from Donny D Ville ?

Have you seen this old discussion on your car?

Barris Barracuda question...may have decklid?

seems there’s one in WA and a lead to a past owner of one in Oregon.

Thank you for posting that. I actually had read that forum when I was trying to figure out what the thing was. I would venture to guess it’s very possibly the same car. I got it from someone else after it sat in a body shop that decided to do every bit of the body work in around 1/2”-3/4” of bondo. And the deck lid took a serious hit on the drivers side and broke the side and bent the edge of the lid. Thinking about getting it restored. Didn’t put 2+2 together that it was the same car though..lol

Thank you for posting that. I actually had read that forum when I was trying to figure out what the thing was. I would venture to guess it’s very possibly the same car. I got it from someone else after it sat in a body shop that decided to do every bit of the body work in around 1/2”-3/4” of bondo. And the deck lid took a serious hit on the drivers side and broke the side and bent the edge of the lid. Thinking about getting it restored. Didn’t put 2+2 together that it was the same car though..lol

Yep for sure same car !

You going to be a Spring Fling this April? Best swap western half of US to find Mopar parts.

Yep for sure same car !

You going to be a Spring Fling this April? Best swap western half of US to find Mopar parts.

If it’s not the same car it’s definitely the same deck lid. But the mass amounts of bondo is covering a bunch of rear end damage so I’m thinking same car for sure.

Yes, we are going to hit the spring fling for sure. Wish I could take the car, it runs so good. But going to settle for parts hunting only.

If it’s not the same car it’s definitely the same deck lid. But the mass amounts of bondo is covering a bunch of rear end damage so I’m thinking same car for sure.

Yes, we are going to hit the spring fling for sure. Wish I could take the car, it runs so good. But going to settle for parts hunting only.
Is your car a Formula S?

Max savage daytona rt !!! 1 of zero :lol: who said Fish dont fly

I just want the wheels....

Here are some pictures from Donny's post of his car (not the red one) from an old thread.
850-jpg.jpg
852-jpg.jpg
851-jpg.jpg
849-jpg.jpg
853-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
By Vern Parker

It's not every day that a 48-year-old car remains in the same family all that time, even if part of the family is by marriage.

The first two owners of the 1968 Plymouth Barracuda were brothers. Then along came Austin Hott who began dating Brenda, the sister of the two brothers. He couldn't help but notice the Plymouth Barracuda.

Soon afterward he told the brothers that he would like to buy the car if it ever was to be sold. That was in the mid 1970s.

In 1981 the time finally had come and Hott became the third owner of the Matador Red Plymouth Barracuda.
68Barrasid.jpg

As he later discovered, this particular Barracuda is equipped with the rare George Barris bolt-on cosmetic package.

More than a half century ago Barris was known as the “King of Kustomizers” and made a reputation by doctoring stock cars.

The $523.70 “George Barris” bolt-on kit consists of five parts, none of which are functional, and include :

• * Side pipes.
* Raider wheels.
* Fake hood scoops.

• * Side scoops by rear windows.
* Fiberglass deck lid with spoiler.

The original owner actually bought the Barracuda on a whim.

He and his brother in the summer of 1968 were driving by the Chrysler Plymouth dealership in Woodbridge, Virginia when they spotted the flashy Barracuda on display in the showroom. They happened to have the appropriate amount of cash and the deal was done.

For a few years afterward the car saw some use until the odometer had accumulated 56.000 miles and had begun smoking. At that point the 340-cubic-inch V-8 engine was pulled and set aside for attention at a later date. The original Carter carburetor was also set aside for a later rebuild which eventually came to pass.

The sleek Plymouth Barracuda languished untouched until it was finally hauled to a local body shop, a facility that Hott in hindsight would not have chosen. Eventually, however, the Barracuda was returned to the condition that Hott had sought.

Optional extras on the car include:

* Dual ash trays.

* Front headrests.

* Dual outside mirrors.

* 4-speed transmission.

* 4-barrel Carter carburetor.

Other optional extra features were the E70x14-inch red line wide oval Firestone Champion tires. The original spare is still in the trunk.

Each of the 15-foot-long fastback Barracudas rolled on a 108-inch wheelbase.

The black interior has functional map pockets in the doors and turn signal warning lights on the leading edges of the engine hood.
68barraint.jpg

Hott declared the restoration of his Barracuda complete in September 2008 when the car had a reading of almost 60,000 original miles on the odometer.

Now all Hott has to do is keep the 18-gallon gasoline tank filled which is more difficult than it was in 1968. Chrysler's 1968 slogan of “Safety is built in, not added on” has kept this car going 48 years.

Copyright © 2009, Vern Parker. Al

Hard to see, but Sox & Martin used a trunk spoiler on their Barracuda with the '69 finish panel. This looks more like the Savage version.
5&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=-it6eC7GXioAX9cHUkm&tn=2jzQKtTZ3xJCjQqH&_nc_ht=scontent.fcae1-1.jpg
392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=1Mj1imF-aqkAX-UonUy&_nc_ht=scontent.fcae1-1.jpg

880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=vkInJT9GQ2sAX9uePeP&_nc_ht=scontent.fcae1-1.jpg

Well, Barris was only a few miles from the show. You never know what might show up in that show or swap.

There’s been some crazy parts and cars over the years for sure.

I remember the lady that owned that original paint Barris car calling the club before the show in the late 90’s. She was trying to sell it. I had no idea what this Barris deal was then.

This is the Savage version on a Savage Barracuda. Same as S&M.
616_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=e3f864&_nc_ohc=BCKRrfyVfUUAX_MkaE5&_nc_ht=scontent.fcae1-1.jpg

That rear panel altho similar to 69, is unique with "savage", as well as the lock hole/cylinder looks frenched?
Yep, I noticed that as well. I wonder who stamped that to remove the embossed "Barracuda"? I like the way the key lock hole is done.

-
Back